Internet on Viking Century Star?

caclays

Past passengers on the Star, can you tell me if there is passenger internet service aboard and if so, the cost for using?

If not, did anyone have success in finding and using internet cafes at the stops?

What about sending faxes from the hotels pre and post cruises. Our grown children appreciate us checking in every other day or so, just to let them know we are OK and to let them know where we are in the itinerary.

We were on Century Star a year ago on its inaugural voyage and there was an internet room which at that time consisted of two terminals, which was plenty for a ship of that size. I'm sorry that I don't recall the price, but it was nominal compared to cruise lines like Oceania. It's probably a little more than it would be at internet cafes but the itinerary is so packed at each stop that there really is no time to hunt for cafes. It was much more convenient to use the Star's internet at times we were on board. Have a great trip!

Sorry, one more thing about the hotels - our guide sold us cheap Chinese phone cards and we used them to call home from the hotels. Our families were very impressed to receive phone calls from Beijing and Shanghai! The card did not work in Xi'an for some reason. There was an English speaking option on them, and they made nice souvenirs. The cards were less than $10, I'm thinking about $6-8. Then once we got on the ship, we used internet.

Past passengers on the Star, can you tell me if there is passenger internet service aboard and if so, the cost for using?

If not, did anyone have success in finding and using internet cafes at the stops?

I don't recall the price but there were two terminals on the Star. I recall the price was pretty nominal but there were areas where the service was exceptionally slow - but we were in the Gorge area at that time. It was not equiped at that time for wireless. I don't know if that has changed.

The Westin, where we stayed, had internet service including wireless if you brought your laptop with you. The cost was very nominal.

• 4 weeks later...

Last November, there were two terminals on the Century Star, one of which was down most of the time. The internet service is very slow, non-existant when going through the Gorges area. It is comparable to the slowest of the slow dial-ups. Don't honestly recall the price, but remember that it seemed very nominal, compared to most ocean-type cruise ships. Tried to log on one time and couldn't get to the net...called to desk to log off, and they didn't charge me anything for the short time I was online trying to get up on the net.

Archived