Bug Spray

Lovetrips!

DEET!!! DEET!!! and more DEET!!!

But then you'll smell like---DEET!:eek:

There are a number of more natural/less offensive products available. Not all work as well as others. Lot sof folks have used cactus juice for the no see-ums. You can find it on line if not your local health food store.

I read a lot of people on here suggesting the cactus pear juice as well. It's not harmful like the deet (if you have children) and I was thinking they said it doesn't wash off in the water.

I ordered some...still waiting on it to arrive.

I didn't find daytime Belize to be that buggy... but maybe I got lucky (but I've been ashore in Costa Rica and Panama too to the same experience). I've been 'eaten alive' far more here in Florida (at times).

In my experience, daytime rain forest has some bugginess (but its limited, more interesting -'leaf cutters' etc.) but coastal mangroves are the mosquito havens! Mangroves are vampire central casting! You likely won't need much if any unless you're going though coastal mangrove...

I use a product called Ultrathon - it's fantastic! I bought it on amazon. It's a cream, so you only need a little but with that little bit on the bugs stay completely away. It does have deet in it.

I was also worried about bugs before Belize, but surprised that I didn't notice any. (We did cave-tubing.)

Same here,

The 4 of us did the cave tubing & the walk on the way to the river & on the way out was relatively bug free. Maybe we just lucked out?

DEET! and more Deet! as high a % as you can tolerate. And permethrin spray for your clothes. Lasts several washings. If you don't like DEET spray, Picaradin is as effective. Both keeps the Bot Flys out of your head! Or wear a hat drenched in permethrin. :D

DEET! and more Deet! as high a % as you can tolerate. And permethrin spray for your clothes. Lasts several washings. If you don't like DEET spray, Picaradin is as effective. Both keeps the Bot Flys out of your head! Or wear a hat drenched in permethrin. :D

What is permethrin and where do you buy it?

Archived