quieter Sky ste. 2?

39august

Planning to book either Silhoutte or Reflection winter 2013. Have never sailed X before, but really eager to see this class of ship. I notice that all the Sky Stes. 2 are under the buffet area. And I read on a thread that more than some of these experience noise in the wee hours of the morning. Is there a less likely to be noisy specific SS or can anyone say whether those toward the rear, middle or front of this area are likely to be quieter? I know I don't want one facing aft as those balconies have no shade.

I studied the deck plan and chose cabin 2121 for my Equinox cruise in Oct 2010 ,knowing that it is under the dining area as opposed to galley.

What I didn't know was the dining area right above my room had a weird design in that a triangular section of carpet was replaced by tile floor, so the presumed sound insulation from carpeting was lost. In that spot was the usual table for 6, such that people getting up would drag their chair and such noise would be clearly heard right above my bed. As you can imagine, that table being rather close to the beverage station was very often occupied, resulting from noise starting as early as 5;30am ( some days we arrived in port at 7, so Ocaenview had to open early), and would continue for the whole day as long as there's food served.

On ships not yet in service, this issue may have been remedied. On the three "older" S- ships, SS2 cabins 2117 and forward MAY be free from noise. I did not pay attention to whether the starboard side had the same carpet/table configuration. Perhaps others can comment on this.

Yes, there is some noise....I never heard it...my wife did; but it was not a negative factor. However, just the opposite...the stern cabins on that deck are completely shaded by the overhang. Well, not completely shaded obviously, but well shaded during a good portion of the day.

rwr-Thanks for the news about the aft facing cabins. I have read several posts mentioning that aft balconies have no cover. So I'm guessing that the dining area above extends over those on that deck. What suite number were you in, please?

rwr-Thanks for the news about the aft facing cabins. I have read several posts mentioning that aft balconies have no cover. So I'm guessing that the dining area above extends over those on that deck. What suite number were you in, please?

We had C1 cabins 2152 & 2157 on the Equinox (which would correspond with 2154 & 2159 on Silhouette)....and if you are a light sleeper...the early morning noise from above might be a problem. Perhaps it never bothered me because I was always up before 4am....and either exploring the ship...or enjoying early coffee on the balcony while being entranced by the sound of the ship wake.

Archived