Ncl in the med euros or dollars

waterport

We were on the Gem last year and the ship currency is USD. I will say that we found much better values booking shore excursions on our own as you pay for the ship excursions in USD but the actual cost is based on the Euro. We hooked up with others from our roll call and split cost for private tours. We got virtually the same tour that was offered from the ship at approx 1/4 the price. You will have a BLAST! Our Euro cruise was our best ever and we can't wait to return!

NCL uses the USD, but you don't use cash on board. You give them a credit card when you check in and the bill is paid when you depart.

And, for us on the Jade last year at least, the bill is processed in the US, so you don't pay an extra charge for a foreign purchase (my Chase card charges 3% extra, and our credit union card charges 1% extra for foreign funds).

Craig, The exchange rate for USD I am seeing today is as high as I have seen it in a very long time. I buy stock for my business in USD and keep a very sharp eye on the rates, checking several times per day - I have a desktop widget that updates every 10 minutes.

It was expensive when it was down at 1.31 but has been going upwards ever since. I am usually happy when it goes over $1.50 to a £. and it has been for a few months now. It won't be going back to $2 = £1 as it was in June 3 years ago when we went to Alaska in the forseeable future. Those days are long gone and will require the UK to pull out of this recession strongly with the US to remain struggling. I fear it is more likely to be the other way round but that is not an object for debate here.

Archived