We have a potential snag in our plans

the2ofus

Just found out that my Dear Sis may have to have an eye procedure that will not permit her to fly to join our family Alaska cruisetour. She could get to Vancouver by train, but we're trying to figure out how to get her from there to Fairbanks. Anyone have ideas. She hasn't consulted a travel agent yet.

Where is she coming from? When would she be traveling? Why do you want to get her to Vancouver? It is easier to fly from Seattle to Fairbanks than from Vancouver to Fairbanks. Who booked her flights originally (direct with airline, a TA, a third party website)?

I assume the tour is first then the cruise?

Now I haven't tried this but it looks like you could do it this way.

In fact, it might be a great trip in itself. Probably take quite awhile...days perhaps but thought I'd throw it out there.

AMH from Bellingham to Whittier:

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.shtml

Shuttle to Anchorage:

http://*************************/

Train from Anchorage to Fairbanks:

http://alaskarailroad.com/Schedules/tabid/98/Default.aspx

Where is she coming from? When would she be traveling? Why do you want to get her to Vancouver? It is easier to fly from Seattle to Fairbanks than from Vancouver to Fairbanks. Who booked her flights originally (direct with airline, a TA, a third party website)?

I assume the tour is first then the cruise?

I think you have misunderstood my post. Our problem is that she may be medically prohibited from flying so if no land transportation can get her to Fairbanks in a reasonable amount of time and in reasonable comfort and safety, then she will have to cancel her trip. Rail travel will take her as far as Vancouver. We're trying to get her the rest of the way.

TA would be a good place to start. Maybe cruise from Vancouver to Seward tour bus to Anchorage train to Fairbanks.

That is one solution we thought of, but it would double the cost of the vacation for her. Had hoped to make the trip for about the same cost as the flights she now has scheduled.

I think you have misunderstood my post. Our problem is that she may be medically prohibited from flying so if no land transportation can get her to Fairbanks in a reasonable amount of time and in reasonable comfort and safety, then she will have to cancel her trip. Rail travel will take her as far as Vancouver. We're trying to get her the rest of the way.

if she can't fly, that's likely a limitation based on cabin altitude (which is about the equivalent of 8000ft). How high is the pass through Denali?

Just found out that my Dear Sis may have to have an eye procedure that will not permit her to fly to join our family Alaska cruisetour. She could get to Vancouver by train, but we're trying to figure out how to get her from there to Fairbanks. Anyone have ideas. She hasn't consulted a travel agent yet.

Only option I can see is the Alaska ferry. Long trip to get to Anchorage. From Anchorage is easy-rent a car, take a bus, take the train (long way around).

Rail service to Seattle and then Bellingham. Coastal ferry service from Bellingham, WA on Alaska State Ferry system.

http://www.akms.com/ferry/

Viv

Sadly, that run from Bellingham to Whittier (Anchorage) is very infrequent. You could take the ferry from Bellingham to Haines and then bus up to Fairbanks. That would probably be a 5-7 day trip if the connections worked.

Sadly, that run from Bellingham to Whittier (Anchorage) is very infrequent. You could take the ferry from Bellingham to Haines and then bus up to Fairbanks. That would probably be a 5-7 day trip if the connections worked.

the ferry runs bellingham to whittier everyother week during the summer. it may or may not mesh with your timing.

the absolute best part is that your sister will see more of the inside passage from the ferry than your cruise ship will.

Unfortunately, people don't realize how large and inaccessible Alaska is until they try to travel through it without a plane.

It will take a minimum of five days to reach Fairbanks from the West Coast, no matter what form of ground transport you use. :(

People were always astonished when I said that as I'd leave CA to go home to Juneau. Literally eyes popping out of their heads.

Archived