What do with my stuff on the beach

essgee_ca

I'm doing my first solo and am thinking of spending some time at the beach. I love the scenery and want take pictures to help me remember the gorgeous views. However I know I'll also want to get into the water. My question is this: What do I do with my valuables, such as a camera, while I'm in the water?

:confused:

I'm doing my first solo and am thinking of spending some time at the beach. I love the scenery and want take pictures to help me remember the gorgeous views. However I know I'll also want to get into the water. My question is this: What do I do with my valuables, such as a camera, while I'm in the water?

:confused:

One day I asked a family to watch my stuff. Another day I asked a couple of gentlemen to watch. Many beaches offer lockers, too, but I usually asked fellow passengers [whom I also tagged along with to share cab fares].

I keep my money and Sail & Sign card in a water wallet

The problem with a water wallet is that a passport will not fit in it....

Rephrasing:

cash can get wet without losing its value.

sign+sail card can get wet and still work perfectly.

a credit card can get wet and still work as well.

your passport is what you do not want getting wet....

I never take my passport off of the ship---is this something most people do or something I should be doing? I figure it is safer on the ship than with me in port.

Depends on the port, and whether or not you are on a ship excursion or on your own.

If I am on a ship excursion, then the cruise line is responsible for getting me back to the ship if something runs late (either by holding the ship, or etc). In these cases, I simply take a copy of the passport's photo page and leave the passport locked up.

If I am by myself, that responsibility falls onto me. In order to get in/out to the next port, you will need an actual passport... A photocopy of a passport will not get you out of a country, and getting a new passport can take a while (especially if the nearest US Embassy is far away, not open 24/7, etc).

It's always a judgment call when you go out on your own. I want the flexibility to have my passport with me (even if I am snorkeling somewhere).

Bring a disposable camera , towel and anything you can live without. Pasports in cabin safe .Do not ask strangers to take photos. They have been known to run off with cameras. Well, maybe not disposables.

Archived