RCI Wine package questions

It's interesting that you mention the Aussieres Rouge and Malbec - they are on the gold package.

Yes they are but no pinot, no shiraz and no zins in the gold package. Platinum is just right for us. bluecruisin; yes you can order from the package in the specialty restaurants. Bon Voyage!

When you say it's only available in MDR and WJ, do you mean you can not order from your package in the specialty restaurants? Thanks for your reply

We were able to order from our package at Portofino on Voyager. I think they had to send someone down to the MDR because it took a while. I don't know if all ships do this, or this varies ship to ship, but my experience has been that the crew goes out of their way to accommodate requests.

Didn't mean to confuse matters. Yes you can also order in speciality restaurants - our ship didn't have one so it didn't come into the equation.

I've just read the menu prices again for the packages and it says in small print "a 15% service charge may be added to or included in the published menu price depending on the itinerary".

I hadn't really noticed that before so I guess the menu is for guidance only and you would need to ask exactly what price the package was being sold for on your particular cruise.

I'll remember in future to check myself. Enjoy you next cruise.

D.

We always have a wine package on RCI and have even requested a bottle with our meal in the Windjammer where they sent down to the MDR to obtain the bottle of our choice. Excellent service even checking if we required anything else with our meal!icon7.gif

We had a 12 bottle gold package on Allure last week. Monumental PITA. We like to get a bottle of Korbel Brut from the MDR at lunchtimes to enjoy on the deck/balcony in the afternoon. They didn't have the Korbel, but substituted some other fizz ( I guess the cheap stuff you get at the Captain's reception on the promenade). Igor in the champagne bar told us there has never been Korbel Brut on Allure. In the end we got a refund from guest services & they just charged us for 7 bottles. I'm sure we had a couple more than that, but they were so disorganised I wasn't going to argue.

Thank you all for your wonderful advice! I'm doing my research and making decisions! Here's another question: Do DH and I both need to order a package or do we just order one and split it? I know we would both need to order a soda package if we both wanted one, but does the same hold true for the wine package? Thanks again for all your help! :D

Thank you all for your wonderful advice! I'm doing my research and making decisions! Here's another question: Do DH and I both need to order a package or do we just order one and split it? I know we would both need to order a soda package if we both wanted one, but does the same hold true for the wine package? Thanks again for all your help! :D

You are welcome to share a single wine package with as many folks as you like. The difference is that the wine package is limited, the soda package is not.

Maybe it is just my suspicious nature but I have had a feeling for several years that the price they set on some single bottles, that are also in the packages, is intentionally inflated to make the "value" look better (and sell more) whereas it is probably one of the cheapest items they could get from the distributor. Great for the RCI bottom line.

One of our goals over the next year is to take the sample wine lists and the ones we brought back from last cruise and go shopping for them locally. Then we can note the "real" price differences between them and also rate each in a log book. Then on next cruise we can make informed choices. Might not even do the package at all this time.

Maybe it is just my suspicious nature but I have had a feeling for several years that the price they set on some single bottles, that are also in the packages, is intentionally inflated to make the "value" look better (and sell more) whereas it is probably one of the cheapest items they could get from the distributor. Great for the RCI bottom line.

One of our goals over the next year is to take the sample wine lists and the ones we brought back from last cruise and go shopping for them locally. Then we can note the "real" price differences between them and also rate each in a log book. Then on next cruise we can make informed choices. Might not even do the package at all this time.

And I thought I was cheap (er, I mean frugal). That sounds like a lot of work to save a buck or two but more power to ya. You check the lists and I'll drink the wine. As far as the conspiracy theory thing is concerned:confused::confused:!

Bon Voyage and happy tippling to all!

I think this would be interesting, and I'd be curious to see your results.

On a different point with regard to wine prices, I've noticed that Royal's mark up seems to be closer to a flat amount, and not a percentage. In other words, the more expensive the wine, the less percentage mark up.

Bob

Cruzin RN,

I found a post from 2010 a while back where someone had taken pictures of all the wine lists and YES, there are quite a few more choices than is what on the package lists. However, I think they are a little more expensive. Go to travel.webshots.com/album/576474571wtQYCk

I still think we might order a package, maybe just the 5 bottle and order from the other list as well.:o

Happy cruising

I don't find the prices any more inflated than the concession stand at a movie theater, the prices at a Major League Ballpark or the prices for a very small glass of wine for a stage show.

On our last cruise I purchased the 5 bottle Gold Package and it worked out fine. In two weeks on the Serenade I plan to order the Plantinum package.

Cruzin RN,

I found a post from 2010 a while back where someone had taken pictures of all the wine lists and YES, there are quite a few more choices than is what on the package lists. However, I think they are a little more expensive. Go to travel.webshots.com/album/576474571wtQYCk

I still think we might order a package, maybe just the 5 bottle and order from the other list as well.:o

Happy cruising

Thanks so much!!!! Found the one I was looking for on the list!!!!

Ill give a toast in your honor next week!!!!

We are sailing next week on FOS.

One of our favorite wines is listed under the "wine cellar" on Gifts and Gear. It gives us the option to pre-order this wine for the stateroom or the dining room.

I don't see this wine on any of the wine packages, but assume that it would be available by the bottle once we get on board, if I don't "pre-order" enough to get us thru.

My question is: Are there more wines available on board, than the ones listed in the packages and the wine list posted earlier???

thanks!!!

Yes. Follow the link in my signature for photos and you will find the full wine list.:)

Hi,

We have just returned from Grandeur of the Seas and having taken the wine package previously on Navigator we opted for it again. We took the 7 night platinum package which was priced in the brochure at $225 plus a service charge of 15% which the brochure says "may be added" depending on the itinerary. We were charged $239.85 so I have no idea how they work out the extra % as it is less than the suggested 15%. We didn't query it.

I am afraid I like to seek out value so after boarding I checked current prices of each bottle against the pakage which is really worth doing. If I can find the individual bottle prices that I noted down I will post the information.

We selected at the top end of whites and reds namely Pinot Grigio Danzante and Dashwood Sauvignon Blanc. The Rothschild Chardonnay is also top end price wise.

Of the reds, the Pinnacles Ranches Pinot Noir and Kendall Jackson Cabernet are top end.

It pays to check prices because if you were to select from those at the bottom end of the price list, the package would end up costing you money. We saved the equivalent price of a bottle over the 7 days.

You can't order via room service and must order in MDR or Windjammer. We missed a bottle one night and had one at lunch the next day instead. After a glass with our lunch we took the bottle out on deck and got a couple of the small plastic glasses from the pool bar. Not sure if this is permitted but no one stopped us. Perhaps not the best way of drinking wine (out of a plastic glass) but it tasted good to us in the glorious sunshine. It also meant we had two bottles on the same day - the sacrifices we have to make sometimes in the pursuit of happiness!

We had no problem ordering the bottles when we presented our card and no problem with ordering bottles spread in the way we did. I'd say go for it but be careful you select wines at the cororect prices.

The lists are slightly restrictive but the Platinum is the one I'd recommend as there is only one white, one sparkling white and three additional reds in the Diamond package which for me wasn't worth the extra few dollars.

D.

Woof22 did a full analysis of all of the wine packages to compare them to the wine list prices. Here it is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1129043

You can't fairly compare the ship's prices to your local liquor store or market - you will find that the markup is anywhere from 2-5 times retail. A fairer comparison would be looking at what a restaurant will charge - that will, of course, vary wildly by where you live and how expensive the restaurant is.

Having said that, I've found that the less expensive wines carry the more outrageous markups - wine that I can find for $6 in California goes for $30 or more onboard (happens in land-based restaurants here, too). Wines that I pay 20+ for tend to be marked up 2-3x.

• 1 month later...
Cruzin RN,

Happy cruising

Thanks for the direction to the website, this was very helpful. I was about to pose a question to the board comparing the per glass price to the wine packages. My wife does not drink wine so I'm on my own, I typically drink 2 glasses at dinner each night while each bottle contains 3 to 4 glasses. Now time to evaluate the choices offered....thanks again.

Can someone recommend a nice fruity white wine on RCI's list? We're just starting to get into wine but have found we like the real fruit-flavored ones. We would like to have a bottle or few to enjoy in our room or with dinner on our next cruise.

Can you order the wine package on board and if so from where? We are from the Uk and the wine package (Gold) is priced at £95.26 + 15% gratuity so with currency exchange $135 is approx. £87 so it would be cheaper for us to reserve onboard than pre-order. I usually pre-order but now I know that the price is lower in dollars then I might think again.

When you get on board, and sometimes just after you check in and before you board, there will be a table with someone selling the wine packages. Give them your SeaPass card and they will put a sticker on it. They will also hand you an invoice which you sign.

We always use the wine package. Find we save the price of a bottle of wine and it's no hassle.

Can someone recommend a nice fruity white wine on RCI's list? We're just starting to get into wine but have found we like the real fruit-flavored ones. We would like to have a bottle or few to enjoy in our room or with dinner on our next cruise.

Try a white zinfandel or a gavi.

• 1 year later...

The only wine package I currently see listed for a RC cruise is the Platinum Wine Package. We are thinking of buying a 5 bottle package.

Is there significant costs savings or would we be better off just buying the bottle of wine we are in the mood for, at the time we'd like?

Do we really need to pay a $25 corkage fee every time we bring one of these bottles to a public place? Sooooo, if we are eating dinner in the dining room, we would have to pay $25 to open a bottle of wine, that we've already purchased from RC and already paid 15% gratuity on? Am I understanding this correctly?

The only wine package I currently see listed for a RC cruise is the Platinum Wine Package. We are thinking of buying a 5 bottle package.

Is there significant costs savings or would we be better off just buying the bottle of wine we are in the mood for, at the time we'd like?

Do we really need to pay a $25 corkage fee every time we bring one of these bottles to a public place? Sooooo, if we are eating dinner in the dining room, we would have to pay $25 to open a bottle of wine, that we've already purchased from RC and already paid 15% gratuity on? Am I understanding this correctly?

The only time you are subject to the $25 corkage fee is for wine bottles you brought on the ship yourself on the first day. Wine purchased onboard (including from the wine package) is not subject to the $25 fee.

Regarding significant cost savings, it depends on the wine you select. I'm not sure about the current package, but on the previous packages there were some selections that actually were less expensive purchased singly than the per bottle price of the package.

I'm like you. I can handle some dry but love the fruity flavors. I have fallen in love with Castillo Del Poggio. It's a Moscato and they now have that on the ships. Give it a try. You won't be dissappointed at all!

I'm like you. I can handle some dry but love the fruity flavors. I have fallen in love with Castillo Del Poggio. It's a Moscato and they now have that on the ships. Give it a try. You won't be dissappointed at all!

We love moscatos! We'll surely look into it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived