Dubrovnik: a rough idea of costs

Hi, I've posted a few times already, regarding our one day trip to Dubrovnik in July... and I've pretty much figured out our itinerary, but I would like to get a better handle of costs, because we are travelling on South African Rands, which is weaker than the Croatian Kuna, and we are a family of five, so our costs could add up quite quickly :eek:

I've done some research into the cost of various admissions, etc, but am concerned that some of the prices quoted on reviews/forums might not always be current or accurate... I would really appreciate it if someone could verify these costs:

1) Shuttle from RCI ship to Old Town = 5 dollars/person (Can anyone advise - is it the same cost for small children? My children are 17 months, 6 yrs, and 7 yrs old)

2) Local bus from Gruz Harbour to Old Town = 10 kuna/person (Again, are there cheaper rates for children?)

3) Taxi from Gruz Harbour to Pile Gate entrance = 75 kuna (Will the taxis be able to transfer all 5 of us in one trip?)

4) Wall admission = 70 kuna/adult; 30 kuna/child (Do they charge for children under 2yrs?)

5) Admission into the old pharmacy = 30 kuna/person (Are there child rates too?)

6) Cable car = 80 kuna/adult; 40 kuna/child; under 4yrs free

7) Imperial Fort on Srd Hill - is it an extra cost to enter this building?

8) Banje Beach - how much does it cost to hire an umbrella and lounger?

9) Rough idea of costs of an icecream/soda/bottled water?

Also, I note from all the reviews that it isn't advisable to walk from Gruz Harbour to the Old Town, because it's uphill... Just wondering if it would be feasible to walk back from the Old Town, given that it will be downhill, and I assume not such a strain? Roughly how long would it take to walk back? (We are from South Africa - used to very hot summers of 35C, so we shouldn't really take heat strain...)

So sorry for all the questions!

We walked back from the Old Town to the cruise port with no issues using simply a map that we bought for maybe 2 dollars at the tourist info place just inside the wall. The walk took about 45 minutes, but would take a little longer with kids. There is a sidewalk the whole way and is somewhat shaded. The shuttle costs $5 a person each way. A water would cost about $2. Things in Dubrovnik are similar priced/slightly lower than items in America. The walls would be very difficult to walk with a 17 month old. The stairs are very steep. Very. You do get amazing views out of it.

Just got back from Dubrovnik.

There is a public bus right outside of the pier where the ship docks. Also there is a money exchange booth in the bus station. I believe the cost of the ride to the town was 1 kuna(might be two). Our Celebrity transfer was $12 per person so I don't know what RC is charging. We walked to town but it is indeed uphill, and then downhill, there is a sidewalk, I think the distance is a over 2km. It wasn't bad for us but we are use to walking betwen 10-12 miles per day. They will not except Euros at any government place, like the wall or post office, they do not except credit cards either, cash only, there is another exchange office across the plaza from the ticket booth. REMEMBER YOU MUST SHOW SOME TYPE OF PICTURE ID AS YOU LEAVE THE PORT TO GO INTO TOWN If you are going to do the wall do it as early in the day as possible because it gets hot up there in the afternoon.

The wall cost 70 kuna for adults. Don't know about kids cost.

WE found at most of the ports we visited on our cruise that we were able to use public transportation or walk just about anywhere. Even though we don't speak any language but English we didn't have too much trouble getting around.

Just got back from Dubrovnik.

There is a public bus right outside of the pier where the ship docks. Also there is a money exchange booth in the bus station. I believe the cost of the ride to the town was 1 kuna(might be two). Our Celebrity transfer was $12 per person so I don't know what RC is charging. We walked to town but it is indeed uphill, and then downhill, there is a sidewalk, I think the distance is a over 2km. It wasn't bad for us but we are use to walking betwen 10-12 miles per day. They will not except Euros at any government place, like the wall or post office, they do not except credit cards either, cash only, there is another exchange office across the plaza from the ticket booth. REMEMBER YOU MUST SHOW SOME TYPE OF PICTURE ID AS YOU LEAVE THE PORT TO GO INTO TOWN If you are going to do the wall do it as early in the day as possible because it gets hot up there in the afternoon.

The wall cost 70 kuna for adults. Don't know about kids cost.

WE found at most of the ports we visited on our cruise that we were able to use public transportation or walk just about anywhere. Even though we don't speak any language but English we didn't have too much trouble getting around.

Our local bus service does run from the port to the old town and return. A ticket costs 12 Kuna per person if you purchase from the driver. Buying a ticket at the newsstand will cost 10 Kuna. There is no discount for children, you will end up paying 50 Kuna for the bus ride, a taxi will cost 75 Kuna.

Please remember folks, our little old ladies are often returning home with bags of groceries at the same time you will be riding our buses. What has happened to chivalry? Gentlemen please give your seats up to the ladies who are trying to go home to begin lunch for their families. Thank you.

is there a convenient place to get Kuna once in town? I thought I had read that Euro were also acceptable? thanks

Croatia is not yet part of the EU and Croatian Kuna is the legal currency of the country. Euros are accepted, but it will be hit or miss in many shops and some sites. You will find many ATM machines and it will give you the best exchange rate.

As of this season, the city wall will only accept Kuna, no credit cards, Euros, Dollars or Pounds. The cable car will only take Kuna or credit cards, cost is 80 Kuna per person.

• 2 weeks later...

REMEMBER YOU MUST SHOW SOME TYPE OF PICTURE ID AS YOU LEAVE THE PORT TO GO INTO TOWN

Yes indeed!

On our visit to Dubrovnik a couple of weeks on Ventura, and despite P&O saying, very clearly, that you had to take your passport with you when you went ashore, some passengers didn't. When the shuttle bus reached the dock gates it stopped, a Croatian border guard boarded the bus and checked that everyone was at least waving a passport. Anyone who wasn't was off the bus....

Yes indeed!

On our visit to Dubrovnik a couple of weeks on Ventura, and despite P&O saying, very clearly, that you had to take your passport with you when you went ashore, some passengers didn't. When the shuttle bus reached the dock gates it stopped, a Croatian border guard boarded the bus and checked that everyone was at least waving a passport. Anyone who wasn't was off the bus....

.....and one Australian had had to hand in her passport to reception, who didn't release it to her, so she was thrown off the bus and told to "WALK!"

She was not amused.....:(.

After getting back on board, collecting her passport and catching the next shuttle (free with P&O), she found herself next to other pax who hadn't heard the announcement, so warned them before it happened to them.

Anyway, I heard the announcement this week that Croatia is to be accepted into the EU in a couple of years, so things might be changing :D

Jo.

Archived