Galveston vs FLL

CRUISING71

We are planning our BRB cruise in August 2012. It is much cheaper to fly from California to Houston then to Florida. So we are thinking of cruising out of Galveston.

A lot of people told us not to cruise out of Galveston because of fog issue, and sometime ship could not leave port. Is this true?

Fog is in the winter, not in August. You only have to worry about hurricanes.

I personally love cruising out of Galveston. Its a sleepy beach town and you can stay on the beach for around $100 if you dont need fancy.

The shuttle will be more expensive .. but I love Galveston. Moody Gardens just opened a new venue if you have extra time and dont want to hang at the beach.

PS fog isnt only in Galveston, its the whole gulf in the winter. I remember delays from Tampa and Mobile as well this past winter.

Dittos to the above. If you are interested you can tour NASA pre/post cruise. It is a beautiful city and after Ike the city lost almost all of it's gorgeous old oaks :( But many homeowners had the tree trunks carved and in some cases painted with the most wonderful scenes.

We love to drive though the old town and look at the architecture, stained glass and now the trees.

Moody Gardens is great and if you like secluded beaches, you can drive out to the west end of the island and have stretches of beach all to yourself.

Love Galveston!

I've cruised out of Galveston before and the flight from where I live was shorter, but the shuttle to Galveston from Houston was longer. The total time was less than what it would have taken to get to Florida though, which is good....

One bonus of going out of Galveston in 2012 is Galveston will have two great megaliners--one new and one older--Magic and Triumph! 've been on the Triumph and loved it, and I can't comment on the Magic as I've got 179 days before I get to leave for Texas and board the Magic!

We are planning our BRB cruise in August 2012. It is much cheaper to fly from California to Houston then to Florida. So we are thinking of cruising out of Galveston.

A lot of people told us not to cruise out of Galveston because of fog issue, and sometime ship could not leave port. Is this true?

Yes, it happens but it also happens at every port. Fog is weather and it occurs especially in the fall and spring. Can you predict it? No, you can't.

I sail from Galveston often and I've not been delayed by fog once.

Carnival must not have a problem with Galveston as they're homeporting their newest, most expensive and wonderful ship there...

:)

I've cruised out of Galveston before and the flight from where I live was shorter, but the shuttle to Galveston from Houston was longer. The total time was less than what it would have taken to get to Florida though, which is good....

One bonus of going out of Galveston in 2012 is Galveston will have two great megaliners--one new and one older--Magic and Triumph! 've been on the Triumph and loved it, and I can't comment on the Magic as I've got 179 days before I get to leave for Texas and board the Magic!

I thought you meant Crown Princess and the Disney ship both of which are coming to Galveston!!! lmao.

But I can stay on the seawall and pick a location where I can walk to everything I need. I park my car and enjoy walking on the seawall and get out as much as I can .. even the morning before the cruise. You cant stay for reasonable that close to the beach in Ft. Lauderdale. If you pay $189 or whatever you can have a view of the ocean, but cant walk to it. What you spend extra on the shuttle is made up in hotel price.

FLL is our favorite port. We live on east coast so air fare is cheaper but not cheap. There are many excellent hotels although not on the beach that will pick up at airport and deliver to cruise port. Cruise port at FLL is excellent

Airport at FLL is not as hectic as MIA

In my mind, the major difference in the two ports is that the choice of itineraries offered is huge. From Galveston, one is basically limited to a western Caribbean itinerary, or on occasion, a limited Bahamas itinerary that includes Key West. From FLL, one has a choice of eastern, western, or southern Caribbean, as well as Bahamas itineraries.

Thank you for all your input...now it is decision time.

We are so tempted with the new Magic...but FLL does offer ports we want to visit. We are also taking a chance with Hurricane season. So we might not do BRB in August, but now consider April for spring break with the kids and Christmas holiday.

In my mind, the major difference in the two ports is that the choice of itineraries offered is huge. From Galveston, one is basically limited to a western Caribbean itinerary, or on occasion, a limited Bahamas itinerary that includes Key West. From FLL, one has a choice of eastern, western, or southern Caribbean, as well as Bahamas itineraries.

Not any more! :) Starting next May the Magic will also be going to Belize, Roatan and Cozumel once a month so she'll have 3 routes. Anyone planning a B2B could choose and really enjoy a varity of ports. Who knows maybe they'll switch up the Triumph some day so it does something other than just Progresso and Cozumel.

Thank you for all your input...now it is decision time.

We are so tempted with the new Magic...but FLL does offer ports we want to visit. We are also taking a chance with Hurricane season. So we might not do BRB in August, but now consider April for spring break with the kids and Christmas holiday.

You have just as much chance with a Hurricane in FLL as you do in Galveston. We just sailed with a couple fron the Reno area and they said coming to Galveston was really easy. (they had a direct flight) Came in the day before stayed at an airport hotel and used the Carnival shuttle bus from airport to port. They said it seemed much easier than some of their Florida departures.

Archived