Questions Questions Questions

ROSEBASKETS

My family and I are sailing on the Costa Magica in June and have lots of questions; If anyone can answer some / all of the questions I should be very grateful.

1. I understand that Costa charge for transfers from port to town centres, how much can I expect to pay for an adult and do they charge for under 12's? Is this a return service or do you make your own way back to the ship?

2. I understand that the buffet is not 24 hours, are there specific times that the buffet is closed?

3. I understand that the kids clubs open at set times during the day. Can you go ashore while the kids are in kids club and is there a charge for this?

4. I have read that babysitters can be "hired" while on board, does anyone have any info on times, charges, etc.

5. Are there tea and coffee facilities available in the cabins? If not, can you order non alcoholic drinks like tea, coffee, hot chocolate, warm milk etc from room service and is there a charge?

6. If you use room service do you tip the waiter?

7. I have read that you can't take drink on board (which is fair enough) Does this include water or soft drinks for cabin use? (I have read several reviews where people have put cans of soda in their cases without incident, but don't want to do this if it breaks the rules)

8. There are 4 of us in our party, if we are allocated a table for 8 at dinner would we be allocated with other English speakers or would it be pot luck (I would hate to have to resort to smiles and gestures to communicate as my German, French and Italian is unfortunately only at a basic level :o and my English isn't much better!:D))

Thanks in advance. We've cruised lots with the UK ships, but never on a mixed nationality cruise, we thought we'd give it a try. Any other info would also be greatly appriciated.

can only comment on 2 things as its been awhile since we did costa'

yes you tip the person bringing room service $2 -3

we got assigned to a table for 6...other 2 couples were really nice americans...Jag lawyer and a business man and their wives

with even any other language you are still ahead of 99.99 percent of us

my school german and french are distant memories

enjoy your cruise

My family and I are sailing on the Costa Magica in June and have lots of questions; If anyone can answer some / all of the questions I should be very grateful.

1. I understand that Costa charge for transfers from port to town centres, how much can I expect to pay for an adult and do they charge for under 12's? Is this a return service or do you make your own way back to the ship?

2. I understand that the buffet is not 24 hours, are there specific times that the buffet is closed?

3. I understand that the kids clubs open at set times during the day. Can you go ashore while the kids are in kids club and is there a charge for this?

4. I have read that babysitters can be "hired" while on board, does anyone have any info on times, charges, etc.

5. Are there tea and coffee facilities available in the cabins? If not, can you order non alcoholic drinks like tea, coffee, hot chocolate, warm milk etc from room service and is there a charge?

6. If you use room service do you tip the waiter?

7. I have read that you can't take drink on board (which is fair enough) Does this include water or soft drinks for cabin use? (I have read several reviews where people have put cans of soda in their cases without incident, but don't want to do this if it breaks the rules)

8. There are 4 of us in our party, if we are allocated a table for 8 at dinner would we be allocated with other English speakers or would it be pot luck (I would hate to have to resort to smiles and gestures to communicate as my German, French and Italian is unfortunately only at a basic level :o and my English isn't much better!:D))

Thanks in advance. We've cruised lots with the UK ships, but never on a mixed nationality cruise, we thought we'd give it a try. Any other info would also be greatly appriciated.

OK before we start would you loike the answers in Cockney (re other message).:)

There is a daily program called "TODAY" available in your language which will be delivered to your cabin, it will list all open and closing time of the restaurants and bars, list entertainment and other items like transfers.

1. Depends on the port, some you are berth right in the town others there is a transfer normally bout €6 p.p. It is a return service.

2. The buffet is not open 24 hours, now adays only at lunch time, see TODAY for opening times. Pizza is available at time (09:00 pm to 01:00 am) FOC.

3. Yes see TODAY program look for Squok Club. Yes but check times. All FOC.

4. Take from Costa UK Web site:

Is there a babysitting service?

Activities are organised throughout the period of the cruise for children over the age of three who are already toilet trained (no longer require nappies). These will allow them to make friends more easily with other children on board and will avoid the need for a baby-sitting service. From morning to evening, our entertainment staff will make sure they have fun with lots of friends divided into four age groups from three to seventeen years old. Activities may vary according to the season, the ship and the number of people involved. If parents want to take part in any cruise events held in the evenings, they can also book a collective babysitting service one day in advance. This service is provided in the Miniclub between 11.30 pm and 1:30 am. No entertainment is organised for children under the age of three, but during the low season or at off-peak times they can access the reserved areas together with their parents.

5. There are no tea / coffee making facilities in the cabins these days - fire hazard. You can order drinks from roomservice, you have to pay for the drinks and also €2 per order. There are tea, coffee, water,ice, milk FOC available in the buffet. The breakfast in the cabin is FOC, try the cuppacino (FOC) great.

6. Its down to oyu if you want to tip.

7. This is taken from the Costa UK web site:

Can I bring food or drink on board?

No food or drink purchased on land may be brought aboard when boarding the ship. Any local products purchased during excursions may be handed to Costa staff for safekeeping and collected before disembarking at the end of the cruise.

All ships in any case provide generous buffets and drinking water dispensers, with both cold and hot water to prepare teas and infusions at any time of the day. Cocktails, coffees and a wide range of drinks can be purchased on every deck and in all the bars

It down to you if you want to smuggle. There are variuos drinks packages available.

8. You will be seated with other speakers of the same language, so all your table mates will speak English (mostly as mother tongue), i.e. British, Aussies, Kiwis, Americans. Becareful, if someone uses the word "Jimmy"!!!:eek:

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Ron

That's fantastic, thanks Ron. Dare not wind anyone up from the colonies I'm on my last warning :eek: I'm not bothered about Jimmy, I'd be more worried if someone at dinner statred talking "Brad" or "Eartha" ;) :D

That's fantastic, thanks Ron. Dare not wind anyone up from the colonies I'm on my last warning :eek: I'm not bothered about Jimmy, I'd be more worried if someone at dinner statred talking "Brad" or "Eartha" ;) :D

I'm from the old school using Tom.

Any questions - just ask.

Ron

Just to add a little to what has already been posted.

The transfers are usually reduced slightly for children eg: I paid 6 euro for me but for my 6 year old it was about 4.75 euro. Not quite a 50% discount

Although they do advertise a group sitter service I have not found that this actually happens- or it did not in Asia- the kids club generally closes at 11:30 pm.

The kids in club/ parents ashore is only operational if parents are on a Costa shore tour- ie: it does not apply if you are off doing your own thing. That is if you require a whole day of care. I have found that on Asian trips that the club is open in the morning, closes for a couple of hours at lunch, then reopens afternoon. A full day ashore (for parents) does not fit the kids club hours. I intend to cheat slightly next year in Singapore- I will sneak off the boat while mine is in kids club to buy Easter Eggs (he will expect a delivery from the Easter Bunny) but it will only be for an hour or so.

Thanks again, good to know. My usual trick on other cruise lines is finding out about something on the last day and wishing I'd known about it on the first, like the breakfast cuppacino or the free pizza. Are there any secrets / not well known / little publicised things I should know about? For example, on P&O you have to buy ice cream, but for 1/2 an hour each day they give it away free in one of the conference or meeting rooms but they don't tell anyone about it.

Hi Rosebaskets

There are icecream machines in the buffet (one each side)- that are free at lunch time - well there was on the Classica - so I am stretching my neck out here - assuming they will have them on the Magica - it being a "slightly" larger ship - it would perhaps have a little shelf space in the buffet for one. :D

You can ask for free ice water in the MDR during the evening. Also you can ask for normal coffee (FOC) others fancy coffees are chargeable.

Fruit juice (orange and multivitamin) are available during breakfast in the MDR and buffet.

Also look out for the Happy Hour(s) onboard, two drinks for the price of one.

If you want a deent cuppa, then look out for the High Tea (will be in the TODAY program), tea cake sandwiches - all free.

There will be various theme snacks in thde bars during the evening (TODAY). Also the Midnight Buffet.

My favourite drink (made by my own hand):

1. Take a sachet of drinking chocolate (buffet)

2. Place in mug (contents not sachet)

3. Half fill with cold milk

4. Now top up with vanilla or chocolate ice cream to taste.

5. Don't forget a spoon to help with emptying the mug.

6. Repeat 1 thru 5 as required.

Ron

Here I go again, sorry! :o

I've seen mentioned the "boys & girls" soft drinks card for 42e, is this just for the kids or can adults have one too? Does the 42e include the 15% gratuity?

Can't find the x1 drinks package on my Costa booking info, all I'm offered is red wine, white wine and water packages (or combinations of the 3) Any ideas on what it costs and how to book it?

Thanks in advance again!:)

Hi Rosebaskets

Boys and girls cards are for everyone. They are excellent value - especially if you like mocktails (virgin cocktails) and fresh fruit juice. You can buy them on the ship - same price as on line. They can be bought at any of the bars. Or should I say "topped up" onto your Costa card. We had 4 - so that showed up as forty drinks on everyone's card (all four of us) Each time anyone made a purchase - irrespective of drinks - the remaining number of drinks on the B& G "card" showed up on the receipt. So for example - our teens were off buying their drinks somewhere away from us - when we bought a drink - we would see how many drinks were left - so could they.

Ideal really, because everyone knows how many drinks are left. You just top up by asking the wait person to add it to your card in any bar - not at customer service. I ramble on again - but for sure - excellent value.

Cannot be used for happy hour drinks. A little tip for "mocktail drinkers" in happy hour (buy one get one free) buy a mocktail from the drinks list - not on the B & G card - - it comes in a much larger glass - and you get two for 5.00 euro plus 15% - totalling 5.75 euro - which is roughly the equivalent of two "smaller" measures on the boys and girls card.

Price listed is as at April 16 - 23rd 2011

The X1 package can only be booked through your TA or directly with Costa atleast 5 days before sailing date, cannot be booked onboard. All persons on the bokking (including kids) must all book the X1. Costs are adults €13 per day and kids €8 per day.

Includes, beer, wine (glass in buffet and bottle in MDR), water and soft drinks during the opening times of the MDR and buffet.

All other drinks packages can be bought onboard.

Ron

Archived