Bruno's-Tahaa? & Sharkboy-Bora Bora? Others?

llarsen

We are booked for Bruno's Tahaa tour in Raitea and also Sharkboy in Bora Bora. We would appreciate any comments if anyone has been on these. Bruno's tour in 110.00 and we were wondering if there is a similar tour for less at the dock, or if his is a "must-do" and worth the money. We want to snorkle and see lots of fish and sharks/rays, but are not really interested in the Pearl Farm. Also any snorkle tour advice for Moorea would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Linda

Linda, this question sounds like I wrote it because I really want to know the exact same things! Wish someone would answer it for us. What is Sharkboy? I keep seeing references to that. We are staying on Moorea for 2 nts. precruise and I have read some things on some other boards about snorkeling in Moorea. Apparently there are small boats that go out from some of the hotels - even modest ones - and charge about $l0 to take you out to a little motu where you can snorkel for a while. Don't know if you have to be a hotel guest or not. And there is a co. called Alberts that rents out cars, scooters, does various sorts of tours, etc. I think he is located in Cook's Bay near the Club Bali Hai. The Beachcomber Intercontinental has a tour desk and dolphin encounter (that, at least, is open to the public for a fee) & has various watersports available. I'm not sure if they let the public book through them or not. I do know except for Le Truk (the bus) getting around on Moorea is pricey if you have to do it by cab. Good luck getting the info. you need!

mlbcruiser-

How funny!! Without realizing this, I just posted a reply to you on the "other" board regarding Marc's tour. Then I went to another thread where I had asked a similar question to someone elses question, (about the fins/booties/coral), and saw that you had asked the original question. I laughed to myself at the coincidence. After that I came to this board and here you are again right along with me... wondering about the same things!

When are you going? We are doing a pre-stay in Tahiti at the Sheraton (wish it was Moorea). We reserved Marc's tour, Bruno's and Sharkboy and also reserved a car on Moorea and a Funcar on Rarotonga. We plan to take the ferry over to Moorea during our pre-stay. I've also heard of Albert, but have not been able to contact him. We really just want to snorkel and see lots of sea-life. I think Brunos tour might visit some sharks etc in pens, which I don't think would be quite the same as in open water. We visit a pearl farm with Marc, so I don't care to see it twice. Bruno is 100.00pp and I have heard there is another tour operator at the dock for about half the price, but no one ever answered my question as to what the name is. We are not sure exactly what to do in Bora Bora, but I hear if you go to Matira? Point there is great snorkeling and most of the tours go to this area to do the shark/ray feeding. Someone emailed me and said on Moorea, to go to Moorea Village area. The snorkeling is great in that area and there is a motu you can go to.

Sharkboy described his tour as a shark/ray snorkel tour with motu visit and fruit for 55.00 from 8:30-12:30

Hi llarsen!

We are going in early Sept. Doing 2 nts. precruise at the Beachcomber Intercontinental & then sailing on the TP. (Boy, was deciding on which hotel HARD! So many pros and cons to various properties.) 2 couples we know going as well. When are you going?

My husband is PADI certified and I am not. We both like snorkeling a LOT. Have arranged to do Marc's tour. Hoping to be w/another group from the ship on Capt. Hierfara's tour in Moorea, but if it's too full, we may try to do it while staying in Moorea. I rec'd. a forward from someone re: Sharkboy tour. They were not overly impressed, and I THINK they did some other tours that were similar and included that and much more, so the recommendation wasn't real high. Everyone's experience is different though. We hope to do at least one 4x4, but have to coordinate it around DH's dive plans and other excursions. Finding out all sorts of stuff on "the other board" as well. We might rent a car in Moorea and maybe the little scoot cars in Raratonga. I imagine we'll find there are many similar tours to the ones we see on here and in our ship excursions offered on the islands.

I'll be away for a few days but will be anxious to see these boards upon my return.

Happy information finding!

We went on a wonderful snorkel/shark feeding tour on Moorea through Albert tours. We picked it up after tendering in. We had a great time. You can also find great snorkeling at the Sofitel. No charge to swim at their beach, but they will charge you to use their chairs- only 5.00pp though, well worth it for a chair and use of showers and restrooms.

Laurie

Zenith 02/01

Century 01/02

Century 02/02

Tahitian Princess 01/03

Century 01/04

Tahitian Princess 01/05

Thanks laurieb!

I think we will go with Albert in Moorea. I've heard good things about him too. Sharkboy (BoraBora) has a email address, making him easier to pre-book, but I think we will have a better time with Albert. I haven't read any bad comments about his tour. Just wish he was easier to contact.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the tip about the Sofitel, Laurie. I knew it was a nice place to snorkel, but didn't know if you got the chairs you could use their facilities. We'll probably do that if time allows. We would probably do Albert's shark tour but are signing up for Capt. Heirfara's the day our ship stops in Moorea w/a bunch of others from our date's CC board. Apparently that one does some dolphin and whale sighting and also goes to a motu, there's snorkeling, etc. I think Albert's offers quite a few tours of various things if I'm not mistaken. Sounds like a good vendor!

About Bruno- FORGET HIM!!!!!!!!!! He is not dependable. His helper showed up an hour late, said he would be back another hour. Apparently this happens a lot from the other posts I have read. We had booked him months ago with a group of 12. He even re-confirmed the week before we left. So we went to the information center and booked one with Mata Tours (Stephan). Cost 40pp for all day. ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL! you tell him what you want to do and he will do it. He was even better than Sharkboy the next day and cheaper. We also did sharkboy and found he was not as friendly and didn't put as much effort into the tour. He really didn't want to carry us snorkeling but we had 12 people that rebelled against him and he carried us. Get rolls from the buffet and carry them with you to feed the fish. It was really a site to see the shark and so many beautiful fish. The coral gardens that Stephan carries you too is the best of the whole cruise. I hope you enjoy.

Nancy

oh goodness - this makes planning such a toss up!

We booked Bruno's tour for our August cruise. We heard so many good reviews on this board. Though, it is tempting to go with a tour that is a little cheaper and (as it sounds) at least as good.

Nancy (if you don't mind all these questions), where all did you go with Stephen? How long was it? Were there a lot of people?

Thanks!

~Suzy

"Our" Maiden Voyage: Tahitian Princess Aug. 25

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;08;25;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

we took a ferry to Moorea on our first full day docked at papeete. That gave us the opportunity to go on the shark feeding tour when we actully went to Moorea. It was very easy, and well worth the time.

Laurie

Zenith 02/01

Century 01/02

Century 02/02

Tahitian Princess 01/03

Century 01/04

Tahitian Princess 01/05

• 3 weeks later...

Hello We're just back from French Polynesia and we did Bruno's. He was right there waiting for us.We had a total of 10 people on the boat. It was a very nice tour.And the food was very good.So was the drift snorkel thru the coral.I would recommend this tour.But if Bruno didn't show up I heard good things about Stephen too.

Marc's tour in Huhanie is still the best.(IMHO).

Janet

• 2 weeks later...
How can I contact Mata Tours for a snorkeling tour in Raiatea?? Now, I'm not so sure about Bruno (and the price!). We'll be on the Pacific Princess August 29.

Mata Tours does not have a web site or email but their telephone number is (689) 60-89-01 as per SRAMBUS who posted a review of the tour. She also wrote the following:

Yes you can book him right at the pier. Don’t worry, you wont miss it, there is only one little center with about 4 people selling their tour right when you disembark. Take water and snacks, although he does provide fresh fruit on his little private island.

~Susan~

I have booked Bruno as well. I will go straight to Mata if there is a problem with Bruno.

-lprynne

• 2 weeks later...

When we were in Bora Bora last year we went with a guy named Johnny who took up to 12 people in his boat. He had a helper by the name of Silly. Everyone had a blast! First they took us to swim with black tip sharks while he fed them. Then they took us to walk on a sand bar with the sting rays. Then onto a private motu owned by Johnny's family for a picnic. After that we snorkeld at a reef with many colorful fish. From there they dropped us off at Bloody Mary's for a late afternoon cocktail. Then they returned us to the tender dock so we could take the tender back to the ship for evening dinner. At the time, Johnny only had a cell phone to contact him, but I would have to try to locate his cell phone number from some old cruise critic postings. Anyone who wanted to go with him was told to go to the left after being tendered ashore in Bora Bora and wait under a tree next to a building there. He showed up about a half an hour after we all had gatherd there. His cost was ~$75/person if I recall for five hours. If I ever return to Bora Bora I would most definetly go with him again it was a great time and a lot of fun listening to their songs!

Sharkboy was the least special of all of our tours. By the time we got to Bora Bora we had already seen sharks and rays in Moorea and been snorkeling in other stops... They kist didnt have much enthusiasm and the motu was not that nice.

Marc is the best.

Many people really enjoy Bruno. Johnny has been out of the picture for a while. Evidently he was great when he was there but that was somewhat erratic even when he had plans made and confirmed.

There is plenty to do in terms of making plans in Moorea and Bora Bora. Many vendors right there. We did jet skiing in Bora Bora this way.

Archived