Lousy Dance Music in G32

hcrane

I noticed in another post someone commenting on the music in G32.

Does any one have an idea as to why they do not play enough age appropriate music in G32? I realize that there is "some" good dance music being made today but IMHO the disco music of the '70s is the best for dancing (in G32 - ballroom is perfect for the Queens Room).

On my six voyages on QM2, the dance floor fills when a disco hit from the '70s is played only to empty out when something modern is spun. In the daily program for G32, they sometime offer an hour of '70s music - should be the other way around - offer an hour of current music and let everyone rest for an hour.

Could the problem be that the DJ is too young?

Just my opinion......

Does any one have an idea as to why they do not play enough age appropriate music in G32? I realize that there is "some" good dance music being made today but IMHO the disco music of the '70s is the best for dancing (in G32 - ballroom is perfect for the Queens Room).

Depends on what you consider age appropriate. Until such time as Queen Mary 2 is renamed 'Shady Pines' then there should probably should be some attempt to play music from the last twenty years.

On my six voyages on QM2, the dance floor fills when a disco hit from the '70s is played only to empty out when something modern is spun. In the daily program for G32, they sometime offer an hour of '70s music - should be the other way around - offer an hour of current music and let everyone rest for an hour.

If it meant not having to suffer the 'musical' stylings of 'Vibez', or whatever Caribbean band is currently torturing the patrons of G32, then I for one am all for it.

Provided the music was loud (like it should be in a nightclub) than I am perfectly happy to dance to Disco.

Interestingly the songs which emptied the dance floor on my voyage were from the sixties. The Stones et al.

ha ha ha ha ha ..... No.

And anyway what's wrong with Hi Ho Silver Lining?

A Reminiscent Gari.

Ah, clearly your brain's reminiscence lobe has let you down. The correct quote happens to be "Hi Ho Silver - Away!"

J

PS - what's "disco"? What's a "DJ"?

The playing of Tiger Feet by the group Mud has always proved to be a floor filler.

That's neat ,that's neat,that's neat,that's neat I really love those tiger feet.

see I bet you're up and jiggling your bits around.

Please leave my bits out of it :eek::):eek:

I believe that the DJ may be young, but the main problem is that he is also a moron....

There's a lot of them about. Some years ago we tried a cruise with Fred Olsen lines. As the ballroom dancing was limited we looked in on the small nightclub floor. The nightclub was full but the floor was empty because the young DJ was playing what was, presumably, modern dance music.

I had with me a CD with all the best rock'n'roll/jive hits of the 50s and 60s.

I asked him if he would play it. Suddenly, as if by magic, the floor was full of smiling couples all jiving and rock'n' rolling. The DJ couldn't believe it.

The question is ' how do these DJs get the job'? Anyone with half a brain would ascertain the average age of the people present and play most (but not all) of the music from their era.

And anyway, anyone who can jive or rock 'n' roll properly will tell you that the old ones are always the best. Of course, if you just stand there swaying from side to side then the music is not that important.

Foxy

I always request John Cage.

They never play it.

That's good sixties stuff, so I can't see the problem.

Actually, his four minutes of silence was 'written' in the 1950s. Never the less, there are indeed times when it is preferable to much of the modern cacophony which masquerades as music.

Foxy

Of the times that I was in the QM2's G32 Club, One time in the Q32 Club the DJ played a half hour of the Beatles.As I do like most of their music and do not mind if the DJ plays the Beatles, maybe there are some people who think that the Beatles are not the right kind of music for dancing in the G32 Club and prefer late 1970s disco music.To me it seems that whenever the DJ in the G32 Club plays Dancing Queen by Abba the G32 Club dancefloor all of a sudden is crowded. Regards,Jerry

I noticed in another post someone commenting on the music in G32.

Just my opinion......

very good opinion, I do remember a dark and stormy night in there with ship rolling and us lot all on the dance floor and no falling over :)

Depends on what you consider age appropriate. Until such time as Queen Mary 2 is renamed 'Shady Pines' then there should probably should be some attempt to play music from the last twenty years.

(Chortling) It must be a thankless task to be a DJ at sea: you have passengers of all ages, and for any age infinite preferences (I'm 40, hate Abba with a passion and on our last voyage request Boney M, the Pet Shop Boys and Lady Gaga - go figure).

It is slightly perplexing when the DJs don't default to floor-fillers (Rock around the clock, Come on Eileen and yes, Tiger Feet!) regardless of your views on their artistic merits, and having an entire Bee-Gees night seems downright perverse (apart from Saturday Night Fever, can you reel off a list of danceable hits of theirs?).

However, they are human and appreciate an interruption to the monotony. Whenever we have been aboard, a polite request has always been met with near immediate response. Until Cunard replace the DJ with an iPod jack for passengers, I commend this route to all you pop pickers out there: ask and you shall be given your choice of boogie.

(Chortling) It must be a thankless task to be a DJ at sea: you have passengers of all ages, and for any age infinite preferences (I'm 40, hate Abba with a passion and on our last voyage request Boney M, the Pet Shop Boys and Lady Gaga - go figure).

It is slightly perplexing when the DJs don't default to floor-fillers (Rock around the clock, Come on Eileen and yes, Tiger Feet!) regardless of your views on their artistic merits, and having an entire Bee-Gees night seems downright perverse (apart from Saturday Night Fever, can you reel off a list of danceable hits of theirs?).

However, they are human and appreciate an interruption to the monotony. Whenever we have been aboard, a polite request has always been met with near immediate response. Until Cunard replace the DJ with an iPod jack for passengers, I commend this route to all you pop pickers out there: ask and you shall be given your choice of boogie.

Mr PC, you have had better luck than I, perhaps they think that I am just an old git so they ignore me. I hate ageism, unless they are in my way. :)

Well Im 60 ish and love Boney M and lady gaga too, have to confess to liking Abba too:)

As the Lone Ranger rides again!!

Good to know that the Masked man and Tonto, (or is that fat man and Toranto?) are alive and well and cruising on Cunard. Werewolves being all the rage, he'll probably be needing those Silver Bullets!:D

Until Cunard replace the DJ with an iPod jack for passengers, I commend this route to all you pop pickers out there: ask and you shall be given your choice of boogie.
This gives a whole new meaning to "marching to the beat of a different drummer"!! Can you imagine what the dance floor would look like, people jerking all around in different directions suffering silent seizures.:eek:

The Beatles music could be considered pretty good ballroom these days.

I'm sure that someone we know could do a lovely Slow Fox to McArthur Park.

.....The Beatles music could be considered pretty good ballroom these days...

Gene, my memory is not what it was but I can't seem to remember the Beatles making many recordings in strict ballroom dance tempo. Any examples?

Foxy

Gene, my memory is not what it was but I can't seem to remember the Beatles making many recordings in strict ballroom dance tempo. Any examples?Foxy
I'm not sure that they ever did strict tempo, but a lot of their music could be played that way.

I don't think you are quite so strict in your latin.

"And I love her" is totally a Cha Cha; you probably knew some of these ladies.

I had thought they did McArthur Park, but it was actually Richard Harris; silly me.

I think it works better as a rhumba

As Gene says, the Beatles rendition is obviously in Cha Cha time but no doubt a different recording slowed down to between 26/27 b.p.m. would work as a seductive rumba. Foxy

Try "Michelle" as a Rumba, it would work over here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWVKQoRXhk

We've had no problems on any cruise but Carnival with the combos assigned to play dance music.

Did an hour of Bolero last night, slower than Rumba it really works out your hips with it's sweeping leg movements.

So true about it being a thankless job.......

My first thought has been, my don't they schedule music of different eras / types more specifically, and publish that into the daily programme, so you know when to go for 70's or 80's or whatever. But of course that might also be a negative incentive and keep people away. (e.g. No dear, let's not go to G32 tonight, they'll be playing Abba in 30 minutes)

Have you all found the DJ amenable to requests?

On my recent crossing (17 May) I think the DJ did a very good job of pleasing most of the people most of the time. This included (a) seizing the moment and playing hard rock by Guns and Roses, which drove us into a frenzy and (b) doing a set of current techno.

But I also agree that playing to the demographic is probably most important... just as I don't go into Britannia expecting the cutting edge of innovative cuisine, I go to G32 expecting some tried and true classics, and anything beyond that is a pleasant surprise.

Archived