Ruby Necklace.

tterryj50

I'd advise you to shop around at your local jewelers prior to your trip to get an idea of qualities of ruby and different jewelry styles prior to your trip. Ruby prices can vary a LOT dependent on quality, color and origin. Carat per carat ruby can be even more expensive than diamonds.

One item that you will see in a lot of the jewelry stores are red fire opals which have the look of ruby but are a lot lower in price. Some of the stores have these fashioned into set jewelry already, some have them as loose stones in trays.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Tterryj50,

H. Stern is a good and reliable place to shop. They will stand behind their merchandise. It is a good idea to shop around at home before your trip to get some idea of pricing and quality. Quality is more important than size. If your budget allows it, try to get as close to one carat as you can. It is better to get one size of a good caratage than to get many little stones that add up to a carat.

You may want to decide if you are looking for a Burmese or Siam ruby. Difference in color -- one is more "pinky" and the other "true red". Siam is more rare so prices are higher. Be sure to ask what type of ruby you are looking at.

Good luck and good shopping!

Maraprince

When we were in st thomas last year i wanted one of the tanzanite and austrailan opals and at all the name stores it was about $1000! Too much for me even though it was our 30th ann we wanted something around $500 went to a store called grand jewerlers at the end of the block, small but they were very nice and i saw one i like and it was $425! I told them i wanted to look arougn and it was no problem. After i saw the other prices for the same i went back and got it. I have been so happy with the ring and get so many complinments on it. In jan i notice some of the coral was missing, i figured i was out of lucka nd just get it fixed here but i decided to email grand jewerlers and they email the next day to send it to a palce in ny where they also have a store and they will fix it. Now i have my ring and its wonderful I am so glad i saved money and got a great deal! i would recommond them for anyone.

Archived