Car rental in Skagway

brunolvr

There's a shuttle bus you can catch at the end of the pier (it's a little ways from town). We asked the driver where we needed to get off at to get to the Avis office, and she dropped us off right in front of their door -- even though it wasn't a scheduled stop :) . It's within walking distance, but I was having trouble with a sore place in my foot and didn't feel like walking quite that far.

On the way back, my DH dropped us off at the pier, returned the car, and walked back to the ship.

Skagway seems to be the most popular port for having a rental car. I guess there is lots of beautiful scenery in outliying areas with easy road access.

ssbeard, can you save me the drive to Sam's Club and post the code?

Don't worry about the price of gas. You are going to be there, you will rent a car, and you will fill it up when you get back.Its your VACATION so go with the flow and don't worry about little stuff like this, just relax and enjoy yourself and thats an order. Happy cruising.....Roy

We rented two cars and then swapped them for a van since one was available when we checked in.

Skagway: Rented a van for $75 from Avis which is located very close to the piers. We drove to Carcross, Yukon Territory, Canada (130 miles roundtrip). As it turned out, there’s really nothing in Carcross, but the trip was incredible. (It’s not the destination —– it’s the journey). There was almost no traffic at all. We saw but one bus, a truck, and maybe 2 dozen cars the entire trip. We saw bears, caribou, mountain goats and bald eagles. We saw snow capped mountains and crystal clear lakes, numerous water falls, sweeping valley and mountain views, raging rivers, the White Mountain Pass Train. The kids through snowballs. We got back into town about 2pm and shopped. Many interesting stores. The place was packed with 4 ships in port. Enjoyed an Alaska Amber Ale at the Red Onion Saloon and were driven back to the ship by the folks at Avis. Between 8pm and 10pm that night we saw numerous Humpback whales, including tail slaps, and a breach within 50 yards of the ship.

Here are the complete details of our Alaska cruise on a budget...

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/alaska.html

Renting 3 cars at about $20 pp is still cheaper than paying $90+ pp to ride the train or a motorcoach into the Yukon. The scenery is beautiful and different from anything that you will see in the ports or from the ship.

Archived