World or long cruises as a single

cruiser1955

I've booked a 91 night cruise on Queen Elizabeth in 2013, sailing Southampton - New Zealand and back via the USA in both directions. Well, someone has to do it :D. I'm guessing that the mid-sector of this could be popular with those in the USA as it is a round trip to NZ from LA.

This isn't classed as a "World" but I'm interested to hear from any others who have gone on World or long cruises. My longest to date has been a 35 night with what is now called freedom dining rather than a fixed table.

I've done the usual single things, like requesting a table for 8, second sitting.

Have you ended up with the same table companions for the whole trip? The longest I've been with the same companions was 28 nights and that was fine but I'm not sure for longer.

Are there likely to be many singles on board? A friend has just completed a long cruise on P&Os Artemis and found that there were very few singles on board.

Again, due to the length of the cruise, I'm assuming that the age group will be much higher than cruises I've been on with P&O or Cunard. Being in my 50's guess I'll be towards the younger age group.

OK...here's my take...will there be many other single gentlemen on board? Probably not. However, older well to do single women - yes and if you are a good dancer - you will be the most popular guy on board the ship. I'm not sure if Cunard uses dance hosts on the longer cruise in which case you won't be the only single gentlemen on board the ship. Maybe take some dance classes to brush up on your steps. I'm not being funny either. These women want to dance. You will be the young kid on board the ship and maybe that's not be not such a bad thing either. :) Most of these longer sailings the passenger base is primarily 65+ and coupled, but you will find younger folks taking segments of the world cruise.

Is this what they call Grand Voyages? Is is split into shorter segments? If so, you might want to check into changing dining tables for different segments. I did a couple of segments of a Crystal world cruise and they changed dining assignments after every segment. That was really nice because you got to meet more people.

Cunard does have dance hosts on their long voyages. The solo ladies really enjoy that aspect of long cruises.

Comboy, kitty9 and dancing Bob

Thanks for your replies. You've confirmed things that I had mssed. Cunard have done the best solo get-togthers of any line I've been with which has led to better attendance. The gender gap wasn't too noticable, but looking back, that was down to the gentlemen hosts being there.

Guess that I'll just have to get some dancing lessons - I'm so bad that to be described as having two left feet would be a compliment!

Kitty9. Cunard are using their own terminology and call this "Exotic discoveries accross two oceans - a series of sparkling voyages". I hadn't picked up this latter bit, so it does look like there will be specific segments. It will be interesting to see how it is marketed in later brochures as it has just been tacked on as the only 2013 cruise in the latest brochure in the UK. Your suggestion of moving tables for each segment is something I'll bear in mind.

Jon

My longest solo cruise was last year's 43 day Vancouver to Sydney curise. I was at the same table for the entire cruise. The table was two couples and three gentlemen and me. By the end of the cruise we were like family.

The ship's Party Planner Jen did an excellent job hosting single and solo luncheons and cocktail hour mixers so that the 60+ solo on ship could meet and mingle.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

From my experience I would ask for a singles table now. I find older singles(solos), whatever more interesting than the married couples.( I am single.) If the table does not turn out well, do not hesitate to ask for a different table discussing your preferences w. MaitreD.

Hi:)

I did a round the world solo cruise on P&O Oriana last September. There were quite a few solo people on board including a few who had never been on a cruise before.

Sat at a large table as I prefer the fixed dining, where all the people were solo travellers, though not all of them were going all the way round, so there were a number of new people at each sector.

Unfortunately one of the passengers was more concerned about himself, that after 6 weeks, another passenger and I had to change tables.

Met lots of people not only solos and had a brilliant time.

Each day,I went to the dancing classes where I learned to dance ballroom and latin american and thoroughly enjoyed it and though there were couples, sometimes the spouse, male or female came alone. If there were no spare men the instructors danced with any who did not have a partner.

The only thing was that at night I was a bit of a wimp in that I did not like to go dancing as I felt like a spare part, even though the instructors would dance with you.

The ship organised a solo meeting every morning when not in port and it was a good time to meet everyone. The ships entertainment staff were always there.

So even though you are only doing part of the cruise, I am sure you will really enjoy yourself.

Regards

JO:D

Archived