tables for two on S class?

39august

Based on my own experience, good -- but hard to say.

I requested early dining on Solstice and Eclipse, table for 2 & got it on both. The Solstice, we had our 40th anniversary - got a wonderful table a bit separated from other tables right next to a window (don't know if anniversary had anything to do with it). On Eclipse we got a table for 2 but quite close to another table for 2 so that we were almost together next to a post.

Would suggest early upon arrival on the ship on embarkation day that you should check out the dining room (your table assignment should be on a card in your cabin). If you don't like the assignment, request the Maitre D reassign you. Not guaranteed that they can do it, but worth a shot.

If for some reason you can not get a table for 2 early seating in the MDR - you could try to switch to select dining. Again that would be done by discussing with the Maitr'd. If they can accomodate the switch - table for 2's are easy to get:)

How likely is it that we will be able to request and get a table for two at early dining in the MDR on an S class ship, please?

We have never had trouble getting a table for two, but we find that most of the tables for 2 on the S-class are within inches of another table.

Many tables for 2 on the S class ships are effectively tables for 4. If you are seated at a table for 2 that is mere inches apart from another table, you almost feel obligated to chat a bit and make conversation.

I love how many choices there are and how each person selects what suits them. My DH and I have a "table for 2" every night at home! When we cruise we select a table for 6-8 as we look forward to new topics, new friends and a new perspective on life! It makes for good conversation for the rest of the year:D

We were at a table for 4 that was next to 2 tables for 2 and we politely did not engage those at the tables for 2 in conversation except when they seemed interested in speaking to us. It helped that those of us at the table for 4 were long term friends. However, had they shown a strong inclination to talk with us, we would have warmly accepted them. But they seemed to prefer to mostly talk to each other.

We have requested and been assigned them three times with no trouble. We have chosen to say our good evenings to the "neighbors" and perhaps a little more as the cruise goes on. However you can keep to yourself. In Jan. we were positioned in the MDR so that when we arrived each night before the other couple did, we could pull our table another 6-8 inches or so from theirs with no probelm. The waiters could fit between our two tables or go next to them easily. Didn't create any traffic problem.;)

Archived