Help with Timing Question Whittier-Anc

catdancers

Can anyone help us with the general time frames that we could expect. We'll be debarking the Island Princess on May 14 in Whittier. We've signed up for the Princess motorcoach transfer to Anchorage where we want to rent a car.

Can anyone advise a time frame when we can expect to actually get off the ship? It's supposed to arrive in Whittier at 2 AM. Is the Princess transfer the usual method where lots of other people are waiting for a bus to fill up?

Will we be at the airport by 10AM, noon, 2PM?? I need to know when to tell the rental car place we'll pickup the vehicle. Thanks.

Hi Catdancers,

We are on the same sailing. I've never done Alaska before but i'd suspect disembarkation will start around 8:00am. From what I've learned it is a 2-3 hour ride to the airport. So I'm guessing most people will be arriving somewhere around noon maybe a little earlier. There isn't many options other than the Princess Transfers. I told the rental car place noon. You don't have to be real accurate with your pick up time for the rental car.

There is a thread on the Roll Call forum for people on this sailing if you are interested.

Scott

Last year they were bussing people by 7am, I do believe however you are given a bus "time" for your transfer??, you will want an airport bus. Certainly with the buses only holding perhaps 50 people everyone won't be on the first bus, but they do run an endless line of them it seems. :) AND it is an hour+ drive past the tunnel, NOT 2-3 as stated above. Frankly- it won't matter much the car rental pick up time, I would reserve about 11am taking this bus option.

As BQ says, the trip from Seward to Anchorage is the 2-3 hour drive. Whittier to Anchorage is in the 1.5+ hour range ... the trick is that you have to drive through a 1-way tunnel that takes turns between the cars going in, going out and the rail, so its a game of chance.

We did Princess last year and were driving away from the Anchorage airport with our rental car by 10 am. The system for disembarkation, though, is a cosmic mystery only known to select employees of the cruiseline. Assignments are based on what your post-cruise situation is ... when your flight leaves, are you renting a car, which cruisetour, etc. You get your assignment, bus tickets, and luggage coding on the last full day of the cruise (and its based on a survey that you fill out while on the cruise itself). We were told by a TA that first priority went to airline situations and then to cruisetours. Not exactly. We were actually shocked at how quickly we were slotted to disembark...one of the first few timeslots...definitely before cruisetours (or at least the vast majority of them). Plus, at least as I remember it, the first disembarkation is early (6:30 or 7).

Once we were out the door, they showed us to a bus and we really didn't wait long before we pulled out. They've got the system down. You just want to make sure the bus is going to your end-destination (airport or downtown). When you arrive at the airport, they show you to a room where your luggage is waiting for you. It was a pain to navigate suitcases through the narrow area, but then you head straight to your rental car counter.

We picked up our car an hour before our scheduled time (which we had thought would be before we needed it). It wasn't a problem. But, I would probably advise having it reserved for 10 am.

Jrask: Does Princess take the luggage straight to the airport after you leave it outside your cabin door the evening before? Or do we collect it before boarding the transfer bus and then load it onto the transfer bus?

Will we need to get specific bus tickets--airport or downtown or just go board the bus of our choice?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Jrask: Does Princess take the luggage straight to the airport after you leave it outside your cabin door the evening before? Or do we collect it before boarding the transfer bus and then load it onto the transfer bus?

Will we need to get specific bus tickets--airport or downtown or just go board the bus of our choice?

1. You leave the luggage outside the night before and you'll see it again at the airport (in a room that Princess has secured). It is transported to the airport before you get on your transfer bus. The only thing you worry about along the way is your carryon with breakables and overnight stuff.

2. When you book your cruise, you'll buy the post-cruise transfer to Anchorage and you'll get a voucher along with your cruise tickets & docs. I think they take that (or part of that) when you board. Towards the end of your cruise, you'll get a questionnaire asking you for what you will be doing post-cruise (cruisetour, flight info if boarding a plane that day, renting a car, train, and whether you have paid for a Princess transfer). You'll mark off that you are getting a Princess Transfer to airport (or to downtown, if you are not doing the airport car rental) and that you will be renting a car for more traveling. They'll figure out the schedule and assign you to a group and you'll get the appropriate color & number-coded tickets & luggage tags. When your color & group number are called, head out to disembark with your transfer documents and color tickets in hand (paperwork will tell you this too).

There are multiple buses sitting there and people going to different destinations getting called at the same time. Honestly, just go where you are told based on your ticket and you'll be fine. To be safe, I confirmed that we were going to the airport before actually setting foot on the bus. I think our bus went downtown after dropping us off at the airport (can't remember for sure).

Thanks for the information. It is something that we needed to know also. I do have a few other questions though. Our fllight out of Anchorage doesn't leave until 12:55 AM. Can we leave our luggage in the secured room that Princess has or do we have to retrieve the luggage as soon as we get to the airport and make our own arrangements for the luggage?

Can we go ahead and check our luggage with the airline when we arrive at the airport?

When do you go through customs and make any declarations? We did this as we left the ship in Seattle last year. Do you do this in Whittier as you leave the ship? (This is probably a Duh! question.)

Not sure when you'll clear customs but you may do that at your first stop into Alaska assuming you're leaving from Vancouver. If you're leaving from a US port then no custom clearance.

As to the luggage, airline rule is that you can't check bags in until 4 hours before your flight. They don't have the areas to keep all the luggage thus the rule.

Not sure what Princess allows you to do with your bags at the airport, sorry!

Susan in Anchorage :)

AkSusan,

I see that you are from Anchorage. Do you have any insider suggestions for things to do and places to eat in Anchorage? We will have the day there and plan to rent a car so we can do some things outside of Anchorage too. I wish that we could spend more time there but we couldn't arrange that on this trip. Just another reason to come again. :)

If we can't leave our luggage at the airport I sure hope that we can fit luggage for 4 in the car!

Judy

We did Princess last year also. We bought the transfers after we were on the ship, so it was added to our bill on board. They take your luggage and you pick it up before you are ready to board your flight.

We took the bus to downtown Anchorage because we didn't want to rent a car. One thing about OUR bus and all other busses that were going to Anchorage. They all did this sort of setour to a game preserve. We spent over an hour there and it was pretty neat. Can't say if theis was a regular detour or something they added at the last minute but there must have been 25 busses there while we were there. We didn't arrive in anchorage till about 11:30-12:00. We were in no hurry, so we really liked the detour. We got to see all sorts of moose, bear, eagles. elk roaming around in a sort of natural envirement. When we got to anchorage We Stored our luggage at the Hilton, and they had a shuttle that takes you to the airport. We also had a late night flight out. We wanted to just wander around Anchorage and get a feeling for the city. We shopped, ate in a cute outdoor cafe and tried to soak up some the flavor of the city.

It may be too early in the season for the Northern Lights, but we flew out late August, but if you can try and get a seat on the left side of the plane. If there is anything to see, that's the only side you will be able to see it from.

You will have to pick up your luggage when you arrive at the airport, (I would do so anyway to verify it is there) they won't store it for you all day and there won't be anyone at night to give it to you if you don't pick it up. I would say the latest the bags could be left would be late afternoon, but VERIFY this. The KEY- pack lighter, you don't need bags and bags for only 7 days. :) Plenty to see and do in Anchorage- request their visitor guide http://www.anchorage.net

AkSusan,

I see that you are from Anchorage. Do you have any insider suggestions for things to do and places to eat in Anchorage? We will have the day there and plan to rent a car so we can do some things outside of Anchorage too. I wish that we could spend more time there but we couldn't arrange that on this trip. Just another reason to come again. :)

If we can't leave our luggage at the airport I sure hope that we can fit luggage for 4 in the car!

Judy

Judy,

I just checked and there is still the baggage storage area at the airport if you can't get all the luggage in the car. Here's the link but I'm not sure about the prices http://www.dot.state.ak.us/anc/passengerinfo/passengersrvcs.shtml

Lots of things to do here. Someone suggested the book from our Visitors and Convention Bureau that's great http://www.anchorage.net/

I enjoy the Alaska Native Heritage Center http://www.alaskanative.net/, our Museum http://www.anchoragemuseum.org/, our Zoo http://www.alaskazoo.org/

If you want to venture south there is Girdwood, the ski resort including the Alyeska Prince Hotel. Great restaurant there called Chair Five http://www.chairfive.com/ and then if you go about 30 miles further south then there is Portage Glacier http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach/chugach_pages/bbvc.html

Tons of places in town to eat. Besides a lot of the major chains, Applebees, TG Fridays, Chilis, etc. we have lots of local ones and I have tons of favorites so it all depend on your taste and price range. So that one gets a little hard. If you want to give me some criteria maybe I can give you some suggestions.

This is another question regarding handling of luggage upon arrival at Whittier. We're probably going to rent a car in Whittier. Where will we collect our luggage in Whittier? Does Princess have a "holding" area at the dock in Whittier for those not taking the Princess motorcoach or train transfers?

Sun Princess 7/4/05

Susan,

Thanks so much for your helpful reply. We have the Anchorage visitors book and it is full of helpful information - almost too much as a matter of fact. There is much more there than we could possibly do. If the weather is good on our day in Anchorage I would really like to be outside seeing more of the scenery rather than spending the day inside. Of course, if the weather is really bad then we will probably seek something inside. I went to all the links and find them all interesting.

As to food, we definitely don't want to go to one of the ubiquitous chains that we can go to here. We'd like something different. My husband read about Gwennies (?) and thought it sounded like a possibility. We will be eating lunch and dinner in Anchorage so we probably want something lighter for lunch and something a little nicer for dinner. However, we are open for anything that sounds interesting. BTW, we will be in our traveling clothes so a really nice restaurant wouldn't be a good choice.

Thanks again for your help. We are really looking forward to seeing Alaska again, even if we can't see it all. Even a little makes for a wonderful and memorable experience and just whets the appetite for another visit.

Luggage will be available off ship for pick up in Whittier. Just walk off the ship and claim it. :) As for Gwinnies- I have experienced a big decline in this resturant compared to many visits in prior years. My top recommendation for dinner is definately the Glacier Brewhouse, lunch try the Moose's Tooth.

Susan,

As to food, we definitely don't want to go to one of the ubiquitous chains that we can go to here. We'd like something different. My husband read about Gwennies (?) and thought it sounded like a possibility. We will be eating lunch and dinner in Anchorage so we probably want something lighter for lunch and something a little nicer for dinner. However, we are open for anything that sounds interesting. BTW, we will be in our traveling clothes so a really nice restaurant wouldn't be a good choice.

Thanks again for your help. We are really looking forward to seeing Alaska again, even if we can't see it all. Even a little makes for a wonderful and memorable experience and just whets the appetite for another visit.

Judy,

If you want to do outside then you should head to Girdwood and Portage or head up to Flattop but that's a heck of a good climb or even our Zoo. It's not very big but I like it. Even adopt an animal every Christmas to help out on their costs.

We occasionally go to Gwennie's and really enjoy it. Be prepared for huge amounts of food. Found a link to some reviews http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2806731-gwennie_s_old_alaskan_restaurant_anchorage-i

Budget Queen mentioned Glacier Brewhouse http://www.glacierbrewhouse.com/ or Moose's Tooth http://www.moosestooth.net/

Which are both very good but be willing to wait and sometimes it can be a long wait. Just wanted to let you know that.

If you like good hamburgers there is a place in town called Arctic Roadrunner, they don't have a web site.

Last relatives I had here, we did the following in a 1/2 day. We did the Zoo, then we went to the Arctic Roadrunner (which is right close to the following place), Alaska Wildberry http://www.alaskawildberryproducts.com/discover/mainstore.html.

Another day, we went down to Portage, walked to one of the Glaciers, visited the Visitors Center, went back to Girdwood, and then caught the tram at the Alyeska Prince http://www.alyeskaresort.com/page.asp?intNodeID=10827 and had lunch up there. The paragliders were out and it was something to see 7 of them up there just gliding along. That was a full day.

A lot the restaurants mentioned above - Gwennies, the tram, Chair 5, Moose's Tooth and Glacier Brewhouse are what I term casual. So you'd have no problem with that. Another good place is the two places the Millennium - the Fancy Moose Lounge and the Flying Machine. http://www.millenniumhotels.com/MCIL.nsf/lu_hoteldoc/120$$diningentertainment?OpenDocument&de

As you get closer to making some final decisions and you want more help, please just ask.

Thanks BudgetQueen and Susan. I will check out all the websites that you included in your message, Susan. We just spent the day in Richmond VA with our daughter and family and singing with our shapenote singing group so I am just checking CC. I really appreciate all the help that you have give me and I will probably be getting back with you but I might just start another thread later on. Keep on the lookout. Thanks!

Judy

Archived