Riedel's Wine Glass Comparative Workshop

Gibbs1984

thanks! Also, do you know if you get to use Riedel during the cruise if you do purchase the glasses? If you pay the 87.00 charge? It seems to be up for discussion. Some say yes and some say no:)

Based on my limited experience and what I've read on other posts, the workshop tends to be given toward the end of the cruise so there is not much opportunity to use your glasses

thanks! Also, do you know if you get to use Riedel during the cruise if you do purchase the glasses? If you pay the 87.00 charge? It seems to be up for discussion. Some say yes and some say no:)

On the cruise that we went to this one they were out of the glasses. I guess Riedel has a very hard time keeping up with demand. As a result you just got a certificate and would receive them later. However, they do use the glasses in Murano.

I also agree with what mpbmark said. Ours was also held at the end of the cruise on the last sea day. So even if they had the glasses you would not have had a chance to use them.

Edited by prim8keeper

• 1 month later...

Just off the Equinox last Friday, and our seminar was held in Cellarmasters on the 3rd at sea day, at 2:30 PM. Great experience, and it is amazing how different a wine tastes out of different glasses!! At the end of the seminar, each of us were given a $20 card to use in the self dispensing machines- that was a surprise, since I hadn't read anyone mentioning that before.

In the MDR that night, we told our sommelier that we had attended the seminar, and how much we liked it. We asked if we could have Reidel glasses for our wine for the rest of the cruise (granted, it would be only 3-4 more nights), expecting her to tell us no. But, she said, of course!!!

I hope I can clarify the price difference since we had an issue with it in Dec 11 while sailing Aus/NZ. I originally booked the higher priced version, and then once onboard we were refunded the difference because for reasons unknown they could not get the glasses or even the vouchers. The $15 is for the tasting only, and the $80 something includes a set of 4 different glasses. You will either get the glasses or a voucher. The "out" that Celebrity has for not giving the glasses when it the workshop indicates you get them is the clearly printed words "Starting from...prices are subject to change without notice" My opinion is that if you can get the glasses get them because the price is very good. I bought them online after the trip and paid over $100. As for using your own on the ship, I do not suggest this because they are (in my opinion) too fragile and washing them will likely end badly. We have always asked for the glasses with dinner and never been told no. I think Celebrity should use them all the time anyway. The have the workshop to tell you how great they are, and then you go to dinner and get a "joker" glass. Not cool.

On our cruise in the Caribbean (Dec '12), once we signed up for the tasting with our sommelier, we got better glasses with our wine at dinner.

Beth

On our cruise in the Caribbean (Dec '12), once we signed up for the tasting with our sommelier, we got better glasses with our wine at dinner.

Beth

Same for us on an arctic circle cruise - as soon as we signed up, Riedel glasses every night at dinner.

Edited by cafediem2

Beth

Same for us on an arctic circle cruise - as soon as we signed up, Riedel glasses every night at dinner.

Was wondering if anyone has signed up for this on Reflection, and then had the Riedel glasses every night in the MDR. We upgraded to the Premium Alcohol package from the 123 promo, and plan to have a couple of glasses of wine with dinner. Some of us are considering signing-up for the workshop. Having the glasses at dinner just might be the deciding factor! :)

• 2 years later...

I can't imagine that's true. The wine isn't THAT good! Reidel does these workshops on land for about the same price, and you get a set of glasses.

When my husband and I did this on the Solstice a few years ago, we either could take a voucher to have the set of glasses shipped to us, or we could take the actual glasses with us.

The CSRs on the phone often give not-quite-accurate information. Even if they are correct, you can ask for a refund on board, I'd imagine.

I just called Celebrity cruise lines and they said that for $87 it only includes the wine tasting in the Riedel glasses and that you do not actually get to keep the glasses? Is it worth $87 then?

Just go to Celebrity's website... Gifts by Celebrity...to..Special Occasions..to..Celebrity Experiences..to..Riedel Wine Glass Workshop....$87 includes 4 different glasses to take home.

We use only Riedel glassware at home....definitely makes a difference.

Just did the class last month on Summit and sitting on my computer is a Celebrity coupon for 4 Reidel glasses x 2, I haven't ordered the glasses yet. I was able to purchase a second coupon for another set, I believe they value just the wine tasting portion at $15 (balance is for the purchase of 4 glasses) so the second coupon (for 4 glasses) was the price of the class less the tasting fee.

I just called Celebrity cruise lines and they said that for $87 it only includes the wine tasting in the Riedel glasses and that you do not actually get to keep the glasses? Is it worth $87 then?

So not true! The wine tasting, without getting the glasses is only $15. They will look after you onboard! Paying the $87 pp will get you the wine tasting and then the option to take a box of glasses with you or you get a coupon to order them once your home and you just pay shipping on top.

Locally (I'm from Australia) they are offering a 10% off promo on pre purchasing a drink package and throwing in a Riedel tasting workshop...but a Coke tasting, and you get a Riedel Coke glass! Having done the wine tasting I can imagine that Coke would indeed taste better out of a Riedel glass, but can't say I'd be too fussed to only drink my soda out of Riedel glassware !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by QE2_Fan

Interesting thread. For the most part, the Emperor does indeed have new clothes.

And for some, he does not.

I think I may purchase the tasting when I board to decide for myself (if in fact the wine does taste better!).

Not sure you want to use them on remainder of cruise. You would have to carry glass around, not leave it somewhere,clean it, etc.

We had them ship our glasses to us vs carrying them off ship/flying back home with them.

We love our glasses and have watched when, Macy's has had sales to buy some more and to replace the 2 I have broken over the years.

Interesting thread. For the most part, the Emperor does indeed have new clothes.

And for some, he does not.

I think I may purchase the tasting when I board to decide for myself (if in fact the wine does taste better!).

For us, where we noticed a difference in taste was with the white wine. Do not remember the variety, but first tasted in wide glass and then in narrow diameter glass.

Maybe it was the power of suggestion, like yawning! :)

Dh and I did this on Eclipse in 2014 - we bought it from the Sommelier - Robert, who from that day forward always brought us our wine in the Riedel glasses - in the MDR :eek:

I'd love to repeat that seminar again - it was so interesting and we love the glasses!

For us, where we noticed a difference in taste was with the white wine. Do not remember the variety, but first tasted in wide glass and then in narrow diameter glass.

Maybe it was the power of suggestion, like yawning! :)

Since I'm a lover of the white grape, I hope you're right!;)

All kidding aside, I think it will be very interesting and I look forward to the tasting.

Since I'm a lover of the white grape, I hope you're right!;)

All kidding aside, I think it will be very interesting and I look forward to the tasting.

Yes it is indeed an informative session and the science behind the design of the glasses and hoe each is designed to highlight the type of wine is really interesting. Whether you leave the session determined to never drink out of (or need to) other Riedel glassware is another story!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perspectives on two things here - the glasses and the workshop.

Although extremely skeptical, I am now convinced that the shape of the glass does indeed influence the taste and smell of the wine. But keep in mind that Riedel has many series of their wine glasses, and the ones you get with these workshops are the Vinum series. By the time you pay the $87 and then add shipping costs, you might as well just order them online at home. Better yet, if you have a Total Wine store nearby, they occasionally do these workshops for $50 including the tasting and the glass set, and they give you a lot more wine to taste than on the ship.

Which brings us to the ship's workshop .. if you are expecting a wine tasting, you will be disappointed. The focus here is on the glasses, and there are only four fairly generic wines used. And since the workshop is designed to have you experience the different glasses, it is very regimented .. pour A into B, drink, pour B into C, etc. It isn't about appreciated a specific wine at all.

My recommendation is that if you are curious about the Riedel glasses, do the workshop for $15. If you like the glasses, buy what you want when you get home. But if you want a good wine tasting experience, or want to get a great deal on the glasses, the workshop isn't going to satisfy.

Perspectives on two things here - the glasses and the workshop.

Although extremely skeptical, I am now convinced that the shape of the glass does indeed influence the taste and smell of the wine. But keep in mind that Riedel has many series of their wine glasses, and the ones you get with these workshops are the Vinum series. By the time you pay the $87 and then add shipping costs, you might as well just order them online at home. Better yet, if you have a Total Wine store nearby, they occasionally do these workshops for $50 including the tasting and the glass set, and they give you a lot more wine to taste than on the ship.

Which brings us to the ship's workshop .. if you are expecting a wine tasting, you will be disappointed. The focus here is on the glasses, and there are only four fairly generic wines used. And since the workshop is designed to have you experience the different glasses, it is very regimented .. pour A into B, drink, pour B into C, etc. It isn't about appreciated a specific wine at all.

My recommendation is that if you are curious about the Riedel glasses, do the workshop for $15. If you like the glasses, buy what you want when you get home. But if you want a good wine tasting experience, or want to get a great deal on the glasses, the workshop isn't going to satisfy.

Excellent summary. We just did the tasting on the Milly last week. All wines used where all Kendall-Jackson. The Reidel glass verses the "joker" glass is the tasting experience. We just had 3 participants at our tasting , but all agreed the Reidal was far superior in both red/white. Like anything, shipping costs add to the value.(We where able to drive home from ship so took the glasses from ship)

Just checked on Amazon and the Vinum Tasting set of 4 glasses is $155 CAN so the workshop is a good deal for us.

This is a " wine glass comparison workshop" so if people attend expecting a "wine tasting" event they may be disappointed.

The actual Wine tasting events we have attended were very fun with a good selection of wines and appies

Edited by Christine Frances

I can't imagine that's true. The wine isn't THAT good! Reidel does these workshops on land for about the same price, and you get a set of glasses.

When my husband and I did this on the Solstice a few years ago, we either could take a voucher to have the set of glasses shipped to us, or we could take the actual glasses with us.

The CSRs on the phone often give not-quite-accurate information. Even if they are correct, you can ask for a refund on board, I'd imagine.

That's true, they do not always give accurate information. Thanks, I just want to ensure that for $87 we get some glasses!

Just go to Celebrity's website... Gifts by Celebrity...to..Special Occasions..to..Celebrity Experiences..to..Riedel Wine Glass Workshop....$87 includes 4 different glasses to take home.

We use only Riedel glassware at home....definitely makes a difference.

Thank you for confirming! I really appreciate it!

Excellent summary. We just did the tasting on the Milly last week. All wines used where all Kendall-Jackson. The Reidel glass verses the "joker" glass is the tasting experience. We just had 3 participants at our tasting , but all agreed the Reidal was far superior in both red/white. Like anything, shipping costs add to the value.(We where able to drive home from ship so took the glasses from ship)

If we are flying international, is it possible to take the glasses with us if we take it as "carry on"?

Just checked on Amazon and the Vinum Tasting set of 4 glasses is $155 CAN so the workshop is a good deal for us.

This is a " wine glass comparison workshop" so if people attend expecting a "wine tasting" event they may be disappointed.

The actual Wine tasting events we have attended were very fun with a good selection of wines and appies

We would buy the glasses again and have them shipped home. We had a fun time with 6 other people, and did some other things with one couple during remainder of cruise. Agree, it is not designed to be a wine tasting. Emphasis is as you say on the glasses. We did get to finish up the wine too! :)