A couple of questions about the Queen Elizabeth

cshim

Hi,

We have been on a few cruises before with P&O and MSC but have a couple of questions about the QE as I am going on the 2 nighter from Hamburg to Southampton in July.

- What are the options for afternoon tea - is it included?

- What is the food like in the Golden Lion - worth the visit?

- I join the cruise during the last 2 nights of a baltic cruise so passengers will already be on board - what are the dining options for when we get on?

- Do you reckon I will be able to book a box beforehand in the theatre or is it only bookable on board - I am just concerned we won't have a chance bearing in mind we join the cruise late on.

I know it is all revolving around food but I do like it!

Thanks

Chris

Hi,

We have been on a few cruises before with P&O and MSC but have a couple of questions about the QE as I am going on the 2 nighter from Hamburg to Southampton in July.

Yes it is, either in the Queen's Room or the Lido

Yes, fish and chips etc, very nice.

- I join the cruise during the last 2 nights of a baltic cruise so passengers will already be on board - what are the dining options for when we get on?

You will have a table allocated for dinner, or there is the Veranda Restaurant for which there is a surcharge and the Lido which is a buffet with some speciality areas at an extra charge.

- Do you reckon I will be able to book a box beforehand in the theatre or is it only bookable on board - I am just concerned we won't have a chance bearing in mind we join the cruise late on.

You should not have a problem booking a box, it includes canapes, champagne and chocolates. Whether it is worth it only tou will be able to tell.

I know it is all revolving around food but I do like it!

Thanks

Chris

Answers above following the questions.

Thanks very much Captain - very quick reponse!

With regard to the dining when you get on, I meant that options for lunch when we board rather than evening meal - apologies if this wasn't clear.

I can't wait to go to be honest as my grandad used to be Captain of the original QE and it would be really good to go on its "replacement"

Thanks very much Captain - very quick reponse!

With regard to the dining when you get on, I meant that options for lunch when we board rather than evening meal - apologies if this wasn't clear.

I can't wait to go to be honest as my grandad used to be Captain of the original QE and it would be really good to go on its "replacement"

All there is for lunch is the Lido buffet.

Hi Chris

How wonderful that your grandfather was a Captain of the old Queen Elizabeth - you must make sure you tell Cunard, they will be interested to meet you I am sure.

Just a point about sitting in a box on QE or QV - you don't get as good a view as you do from the main body of the theatre. Other than formal nights you don't need to book and you usually find that one or two are empty even when the performance has started.

Enjoy, QE is beautiful!

Fiona

The thing that struck me about the boxes was the screen in front of the seats. It is clear plastic or plexiglass (not sure). I'm 5' 5" and when I sat down to try them out it was right at eye level view. Tried to upload a photo but failed, sorry!

Lunch in the Lido on embarkation day on our 5-day trip was very good - excellent selection of salads, cold meats, cheese etc as well as hot food.

I reiterate the advice about letting Cunard know about your grandfather. Who knows, it might even get you dinner at the Captain's table.

As for the boxes, I agree that the view is better than the regular seats as the plexiglass distorts the view. I'd suggest a try out early on--you could even sit in one for the daily lectures to see if you feel comfortable looking through the glass.

Have a wonderful trip. The QE is truly magnificent.

Thanks for your responses - really looking forward to it.

Just a couple more things:

Do they have a sailaway "party" on deck when leaving every port or just the home one?

Also, will we get the same welcome on board getting on for the last 2 nights of the cruise as we would if we got on at the beginning?

Thanks!

Chris

The thing that struck me about the boxes was the screen in front of the seats. It is clear plastic or plexiglass (not sure). I'm 5' 5" and when I sat down to try them out it was right at eye level view. Tried to upload a photo but failed, sorry!

Here's a photo of the theatre on Queen Elizabeth taken from the area of the stage. The plexiglass screens are very obvious on the boxes in the far left and far right of the image. I didn't find the distortion of the view of the stage to be too bad (although I concede that the previous poster is correct and that it does happen). For me a greater irritation was the fact that despite the curvature of the screens they still tend to reflect the small safety lights embedded in the risers of the steps leading down into the box. Others have reported that they didn't notice this and it seems to depend on the height of the individual concerned. But these are trivial criticisms to be honest - I generally enjoyed the boxes if only for the fact that you didn't have to climb over others to get to your seat (or vice versa). We never used them on a "bookable" night so I can't comment on the quality of the nibbles, chocolates etc.

J

DSC1950_theatre.jpg

Actually it's a bit more than just fish & chips. There is a selection of about 5 things including a curry, plowman's, cottage pie and steak & mushroom pie. All with chips etc.

Very nice for a change from the main restaurants.

Actually it's a bit more than just fish & chips. There is a selection of about 5 things including a curry, plowman's, cottage pie and steak & mushroom pie. All with chips etc.

Given that it is a British dish, shouldn't it be a ploughman's lunch?

Certainly on QV, the curry does not come with chips.

Given that it is a British dish, shouldn't it be a ploughman's lunch?

Certainly on QV, the curry does not come with chips.

-------------------

Have not yet sailed on QV, so am not a solid source here, but on QM2 the curry offered in the Golden Lion Pub there came with rice, some mango chutney, raita and, as a recall, a pakora, and papadum. On QM2 they changed from offering the same curry daily to a rotating option called "A Taste of Asia", which allows some variety in their offerings. Curries are often the daily "Taste of Asia", but not always. I find them to be very good (and pretty hot/spicy -- great with a beer!). Also, there is usually a daily special which is usually posted. :)

-------------------

Have not yet sailed on QV, so am not a solid source here, but on QM2 the curry offered in the Golden Lion Pub there came with rice, some mango chutney, raita and, as a recall, a pakora, and papadum. On QM2 they changed from offering the same curry daily to a rotating option called "A Taste of Asia", which allows some variety in their offerings. Curries are often the daily "Taste of Asia", but not always. I find them to be very good (and pretty hot/spicy -- great with a beer!). Also, there is usually a daily special which is usually posted. :)

From what I recall the QV curry was a chicken korma. It was lovely and creamy, and indeed came with the sort of bits and bobs you suggest. It was so good I had two!

But not a chip (french fries to our American cousins) in sight.

From what I recall the QV curry was a chicken korma.

It was a tika at Christmas. I wouldn't rave about the curry though - from what I remember its main flavouring was tabasco and not much of anything else :( There is food available in the Golden Lion but, personally, I'd choose to eat in the Lido. (It's worth noting that both venues are far better than QE2).

...and not forgetting the "Daily Special".

Last year on QV, Miguel in the pub convinced everybody that the GLP Burger that was on daily special, consisted of Gammon, Lettuce and Pumpkin. My daft wife said she'd like to try that, and she did. Then Miggy admitted it was just Golden Lion Pub Burger.

Stewart

Thanks for your responses - really looking forward to it.

Just a couple more things:

Do they have a sailaway "party" on deck when leaving every port or just the home one?

Also, will we get the same welcome on board getting on for the last 2 nights of the cruise as we would if we got on at the beginning?

Thanks!

Chris

Hi Chris, We were on QE for a 5 day trip in April this year. I found that depending on the departure time there was a sailaway party. Usually 5pm there was a party on open deck aft from the ports of call. We did have one departure at 9pm and there was no party. The information sheet with the daily activities should state if there is a sailaway party.

Catherine

Hi Chris, We were on QE for a 5 day trip in April this year. I found that depending on the departure time there was a sailaway party. Usually 5pm there was a party on open deck aft from the ports of call. We did have one departure at 9pm and there was no party. The information sheet with the daily activities should state if there is a sailaway party.

Catherine

We sail about 6pm so here's hoping!

Thanks very much for your replies - really looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Clotted Cream was served in the Queens Room on the QE every day we went in on our 14 day Baltic cruise this month.

But just whipped cream in the Lido. The scones was smaller than we've had on the QM2 and QV.

Archived