Question for Canadian Cruisers

In the travel docs we received today, RCL offers to convert our onboard charges to Canadian before they bill our card. They will charge the "current rate" and a conversion charge. They don't state what these are.

I know that when we bill US purchases to our card, the conversion is worked into the rate and it's fairly competitive. My feeling is that we will have them bill us in US funds and will then let the credit card company do the conversion. Any thoughts on this from more experienced cruisers?

Schplinky,

I don't even know whether I should get started on this one. Before our cruise a few years back, I phoned RCCL to find out what exchange rate they use, and what their fee is. After speaking to literally a dozen agents who gave me a myriad of different answers - including many that swore RCCL does not do this - I finally got a reply from C&A. It was a major waste of time on my part, and I signed off on the box that said that I do NOT wish for RCCL to convert my charges. I do not recall what their fee was, but it was worse than what my credit card was charging. When I got aboard, I confirmed with the purser that they would not convert the charges, and they thanked me for bringing it to their attention, since they did not catch this when reviewing my documents :eek: Anyway, guess what ended up happening...? They converted it afterall. Maybe things have changed or perhaps they are using a better exchange rate, but my experience is not to waste time figuring it out since they will do what they want anyhow. :mad:

Schplinky,

Before we got off our ship last month, my friend and I were comparing bills. Hers had been converted to Canadian $ and mine had not. Don't know why there was a difference, but I got a better rate than she did when my bill came through my credit card in US $ and then converted.

It all depends on which date the rate is picked up by the ship & the credit card company. It is probably a toss-up either way unless as the other poster stated, RCI charges you for the convenience. If that is that case, I would definitly go with the credit card company. JMHO.

I'm presuming that since I have to check a box for them NOT to convert it, then it's in their interest for them to be the one's converting it. If the fee is the same as the cc company, then I'm fine with RCL getting it and not the Royal Bank. If their fee is unreasonable, then I will have them charge it in U.S.

Oh, unknowable universe!

RCCL is not a bank - on the same day you will get a better rate from the bank (credit card co). If you believe that Cdn $ will decline before your payment or charges are due, and you're happy with the rate RCCL is offering, then go ahead. We have always not had our bills converted and have come out ahead - that goes for booking too.

Jacquelyn, we have been through the same thing as you on every cruise. On our last cruise we were expecting it to happen, and since we had to get up early to get our passports, we went to the purser's desk to get it converted back to U.S. funds from

Canadian. A bit of a pain, but worth it in the long run.

Don't let RCCL convert it to CDN$ . It works out better if you pay in US dollars and let your credit card company make the exchange.

We have checked on both of our last cruises and in both cases it not to your benefit to use their service.

*** BUT***

Even if you initial the space provided on the cruise ticket and tell the RCCL representative when you check in that you don't want them to do the conversion, they will. To correct this oversight, as they call it, you will have to go to the purser’s desk with the credit card that you used to check in with to make the change. Don't wait till the last night of the cruise when the line-ups are really long.

Hope this helps.

Archived