Capnpugwash is back on the high seas, BTB on QM2

capnpugwash

I agree with you Capn, good manners are important. I've come to the conclusion that common courtesty is no longer common. It drives me nuts when you get a group of people who stop, form a circle to talk right in a aisle or hallway then give you a dirty look when you walk through their little group.

Russ

I agree with you Capn, good manners are important. I've come to the conclusion that common courtesty is no longer common. It drives me nuts when you get a group of people who stop, form a circle to talk right in a aisle or hallway then give you a dirty look when you walk through their little group.

Russ

Yes. And they are the same people who stop at the top of the escalator to survey the floor before moving in their desired direction. Most exasperating--to say nothing of being dangerous as well in the escalator situation.

It is wonderful, exhilarating and memorable. Especially low down on decks 2 or 3 through the windows or from an in-hull balcony. The awesome power of the ocean is clearly demonstrated.

I bet! Please report on experiences, how the ship is moving, etc. I'd love to experience it but I fear I'd be sick. Sounds like you will be in heaven! Enjoy!

“Gimme a 4 egg white omelette with cheese, that’s 4 egg whites only with cheese. Don’t forget the cheese”.

This is the sort of person my Dear Uncle would call a "Gimme-Pig".:eek:

Thanks again, Cap'n, for your entertaining posts. Hopefully, the rest of your crossing will be free of unexpected second beards and other surprises!:D

I bet! Please report on experiences, how the ship is moving, etc. I'd love to experience it but I fear I'd be sick. Sounds like you will be in heaven! Enjoy!

It was great for a while but hasd quietened down now, but tomorrow - or today:eek: is another day.

Update No 30

Tonight is the third formal of this crossing and once again there is no Ball, however the show is Singers in Concert in which the Ship’s Orchestra and the Cunard singers combine to perform songs by Stephen Sondheim, Neil Sedaka and Dusty Springfield to name but a few.

I have just returned from the SS France lecture and it was certainly up to the same level as the previous 3, he has some interesting stories in connection with the ship and in fact had been on the transatlantic crossing on board her when it was announced that she was being withdrawn from service after the return trip.

Dinner tonight was a really pleasant surprise; two of the tablemates were dining elsewhere so Mr and Mrs M-G were invited in their place. I was fortunate enough to sit next to John and what a charming and wonderful dinner companion he and Mary were. It was yet another memorable evening that I won’t forget.

After dinner I thought that a visit to the Commodore Club was overdue and in order that I remedied that omission I went up there, the crowd was very pleasant, Russell Holmes was playing the piano and I bumped into a small crowd of CC members, led by Nathan, they are members of the Chicago Philharmonic Orchestra heading to the UK for a weeks vacation. The real pity was that they didn’t have their instruments with them or they could have played on Thursday evening to liven it all up.

More later.

Capn.............

I am intrigued........ Are you travelling alone or is your good lady with you on this b2b? Does she travel with you often, or do you take work with you when you cruise and 'get away from it all' while having a wonderful time?

Capn.............

I am intrigued........ Are you travelling alone or is your good lady with you on this b2b? Does she travel with you often, or do you take work with you when you cruise and 'get away from it all' while having a wonderful time?

Unfortunately my wife works and needs to be present to handle whatever arises, conversely I work for myself and am able to work anywhere with an internet connection. She enjoys cruising and we normally go away together a couple of times each year.

Unfortunately my wife works and needs to be present to handle whatever arises, conversely I work for myself and am able to work anywhere with an internet connection. She enjoys cruising and we normally go away together a couple of times each year.

I'm sure many of us are envious.

We are also very grateful for your insights and opinions. I will be on QM 2 next week, you have me very prepared and I know there won't be any nasty surprises.

Thank you Capn

Update No 31

Today is Wednesday June 15th, it is currently 8.45am and the weather is continuing much as before, we have a force 5 breeze from the North West with a rising barometer, the temperature is 57/14 degrees. The sea is still categorised as rough with waves up to 12 feet, the anticipated rougher seas have yet to appear. We have 835 miles and about 46 hours to go before arriving in Southampton.

More later

It was great for a while but hasd quietened down now, but tomorrow - or today:eek: is another day.

Update No 30

Tonight is the third formal of this crossing and once again there is no Ball,

however the show is Singers in Concert in which the Ship’s Orchestra and the Cunard singers combine to perform songs by Stephen Sondheim, Neil Sedaka and Dusty Springfield to name but a few.

I have just returned from the SS France lecture and it was certainly up to the same level as the previous 3, he has some interesting stories in connection with the ship and in fact had been on the transatlantic crossing on board her when it was announced that she was being withdrawn from service after the return trip.

Dinner tonight was a really pleasant surprise; two of the tablemates were dining elsewhere so Mr and Mrs M-G were invited in their place. I was fortunate enough to sit next to John and what a charming and wonderful dinner companion he and Mary were. It was yet another memorable evening that I won’t forget.

After dinner I thought that a visit to the Commodore Club was overdue and in order that I remedied that omission I went up there, the crowd was very pleasant, Russell Holmes was playing the piano and I bumped into a small crowd of CC members, led by Nathan, they are members of the Chicago Philharmonic Orchestra heading to the UK for a weeks vacation. The real pity was that they didn’t have their instruments with them or they could have played on Thursday evening to liven it all up.

More later.

Is the weather too rough for the Balls to take place?

Coolgran

Is the weather too rough for the Balls to take place?

Coolgran

The weather isn't rough, the sea state designation is rough but that just means up to 12 foot waves, the Balls have taken place as scheduled.There is just a bit of lumpiness in the ocean but it is no big deal. No vomit bags out yet anyway.

For those unfamiliar with walking the deck on QM2, here is a video that was posted by jodal2 on Utube titled "Walking the around the deck - Queen Mary 2 June 2010"

Salacia,

Now if that video doesn't make one homesick. Actually, I had just disembarked at Southampton, so that video must have been taken on the return passage to New York.

When I tried to video the promenade deck, I was nearly trampled to death. Perhaps Cunard can offer daily 5 mile jogging "excursions" between 08.00 and 09.00. The ships officers can "march" the joggers up and down the deck shouting at them like marines.

The joggers will then learn how to run together in a safe and orderly fashion. The walkers get the deck for the rest of the morning. It is a win-win situation. :)

S

The joggers will then learn how to run together in a safe and orderly fashion. The walkers get the deck for the rest of the morning. It is a win-win situation. :)

But not for the snoozers who wish a plague on both their houses. Why a person cannot lie snap-necked and drooling, safe and comfy in 43 layers of thermal outerwear topped by a steamer blanket without being rudely snatched from the arms of wotsisname by the pounding and slapping of the barge shaped and sized trainer intruding into his 9.0 am nap I do not know. Thereorterbealor!

Gari

Salacia,

Now if that video doesn't make one homesick. Actually, I had just disembarked at Southampton, so that video must have been taken on the return passage to New York.

When I tried to video the promenade deck, I was nearly trampled to death. Perhaps Cunard can offer daily 5 mile jogging "excursions" between 08.00 and 09.00. The ships officers can "march" the joggers up and down the deck shouting at them like marines.

The video made me "homesick" too. Here was my video taken during the may10 crossing of various outdoor locations.

Joggers and walkers...why can't we all just get along?:)

Update No 32

We will lose the last hour overnight which will bring us back to UK time, the sea looks absolutely beautiful this afternoon, it is a dark blue/grey colour with very occasional white horses being whipped up by the force 5 breeze. The other weather conditions are similarly unaltered. The sky is partly cloudy but when the sun shines it is pleasantly warm in the sheltered parts of the deck.

We had a lovely Senior Officers Party followed by an excellent dinner and I went around the various places to distribute a little folding cash to the deserving staff in those areas, I much prefer to get it done tonight rather than leaving it until tomorrow.

The weather hasn’t changed at all although the ship seems to be rolling a little more than before, I don’t mind that at all. I walked along deck 7 just now and the tail wind is almost imperceptible on board as we are sailing at a very similar speed to the wind so it is effectively cancelled out.

More later.

But not for the snoozers who wish a plague on both their houses. Why a person cannot lie snap-necked and drooling, safe and comfy in 43 layers of thermal outerwear topped by a steamer blanket without being rudely snatched from the arms of wotsisname by the pounding and slapping of the barge shaped and sized trainer intruding into his 9.0 am nap I do not know. Thereorterbealor!

Gari

Gari, trainer? An athletic shoe or a person? :eek:

Update No 33

Today is Thursday June 16th and it is the last full day of the crossing. The sea remains rough but the ship is not rolling or pitching to any noticeable extent, the temperature is 56/13 degrees and the barometer is still rising. The wind remains from the stern at force 5. Since leaving New York we have sailed 2717 nautical miles and only have 411 remaining.

I went for the last time to the spa today and had to go early as the M-G 5th lecture is at 11.15 this morning, he and his wife will both be making the presentation and having gone to the others I feel that I must go to this one as well.

At 12.15 there is the usual Dixie Band in the pub but normally it is so popular that you need to be there by noon to get a seat, I think that the lecture will not finish until well past that time so I will have to miss it.

The lecture did run for a full hour so there was no time to go to the pub, it was worth it though. They did a series of skits showing the strange ways that some passengers and crew behave and the odd questions that are asked. It sounds a little bizarre but it is quite amusing. Having seen it once, there would be no need to see it again in the future.

The weather is unchanged and we have sailed a further 115 miles since this morning leaving us 296 to go.

More later.

Capn, if you would indulge another question from the peanut gallery:

May I ask how many hours of internet access you burn through on a crossing? I know your work requires access as well, but you also seem to spend a fair amount of "face time" in this and other threads. More specifically, since this will be the first cruise that we will be offered Cunard World Club "free" internet access, will 4 hours (total, for two) last us through a crossing? (I know, it depends...) We'll have a laptop and will compose/read messages offline, as I believe that will help improve the effectiveness.

I bought a small package on the last day on the QV and in the internet lounge with the available connection speed it went quickly.

Capn, if you would indulge another question from the peanut gallery:

May I ask how many hours of internet access you burn through on a crossing? I know your work requires access as well, but you also seem to spend a fair amount of "face time" in this and other threads. More specifically, since this will be the first cruise that we will be offered Cunard World Club "free" internet access, will 4 hours (total, for two) last us through a crossing? (I know, it depends...) We'll have a laptop and will compose/read messages offline, as I believe that will help improve the effectiveness.

I bought a small package on the last day on the QV and in the internet lounge with the available connection speed it went quickly.

It should be enough providing that you are frugal with your usage.

Archived