oasis question

When I first saw the Oasis I said I would never book it. My DW and I decided after several discussions to give it a try. We are booked April 2012 in a JS. We have taken several RC Cruises in the past. Should I expect a radically different experience?

We have done Oasis and I wouldnt say its a radically different experience, but it is different. IMO I didnt like not seeing the ocean as much, felt like we were in a resort or hotel rather than a ship. However the shows are amazing and the ship itself is beautiful. It is different because its bigger and the area where all the shops are can get noisy when there are lots of people there. However we had a great time and will be on Allure this fall. Go with a open mind, walk around to see all it has to offer and enjoy. We love the RCI experience no matter what ship we are on.:)

Considering the ships that you have already sailed I would not say that the experience will be that different. What you will have are many more options. The different "neighborhoods" have very different atmospheres. The shows are a big step above what you will have found on past cruises.

The layout of the ship is a major departure from what you have experienced before. Don't expect to step aboard and find yourself in a very familiar environment. However, the ship is very well designed and it take little time to start to find your way around. It very soon felt just as comfortable aboard Oasis as I feel when I step aboard a Voyager or Freedom class ship.

All that being said, you would have the option to have an almost identical cruise experience to what you have had in the past as well as the options to make it different. It is all up to what you want from your time aboard this magnificent ship.

There were two things that made our vacation on the Oasis different from other ships.

1. We had more rain than on other cruises. This you can't do anything about, but we spent more time "inside" than usual. We were actually lucky we were on the Oasis because of all the activities.:D

2. Dining. On most cruises, we eat often in the Windjammer - generally either breakfast or lunch each day. On the Oasis, I ate in the WJ just once the entire week. The WJ is small and set up awkwardly, so it wasn't somewhere we wanted to be. Instead, we were in Park Cafe much more often. They had a great breakfast! (Plus, our cabin was on deck 8 - just steps from Central Park)

I found all the options very nice. Catching a mid-day Splish Splash show or the Belly Flop contest in the Aqua Theater is just something you can't do on other ships (except the Allure!).

I think everyone should sail the ship just for the experience. :) It is, a destination.

Totally agree with this poster. The ship is an engineering marvel and has an extreme WOW factor, even with all of the prior research I'd done... We had done the itinerary a few times before, so the ship was the destination this time. Got off the ship in each port, took pix of the ship towering over all the others :), did some trinket shopping, and back on board to enjoy emptier pools, no lines at the zipline/flowriders, etc.

I'd have to say, however, that the Voyager class is still my favorite, although we haven't tried the Freedom class yet. ;)

Archived