Megazoom comparison

Getting ready for Alaska cruise and planning on buying a "megazoom" so I don't have to lug my DSLR and lenses everywhere. I'm debating between the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 and the Canon Powershot SX30IS.

The Panasonic looks a little better on paper, but all my previous/current cameras are Canon. Is it worth learning a different set of "norms" for the Panasonic?

Any feedback would be appreciated.:D

I have done a lot of research on the megazooms too and it seems the Panasonic is simply a better camera. I also have always had Canon's and have the same dilema. I would love to hear what you decide and how you like it! Good luck.

I just purchased the Canon. Funny I was only comparing the Nikon p500? and the Canon SX30 - maybe I missed out on the RIGHT? camera?

I am still bringing my 5D and a couple of my lenses....i have gone back and forth - but I did side by side comparisons for the files i got from the SX30 and my 5d - and they um just don't compare...nor should they!

FWIW the major reviews are getting old, but Canon and Panasonic make first class superzooms and I expect their newer models will follow the tradition and be above average to class leading. Even if above average it will still be pretty good, there are almost no bad camera's these days if you don't go for the most cheap.

Archived