How do you buy clothes for a diff size/diff season?

rach1fun

I started weight watchers 8 wks ago, am now down 18.8 lbs, with over 50 to go... (I lost 65lbs on WW 8 yrs ago, but have gained it all back and more). My next cruise is in October, and I am trying to decide how to buy clothes for it. I live in MN, so mid to late summer they start stocking the long sleeves and pants.

I looked at my swimsuit that I wore on my last cruise (close to goal weight) and the elastic is no good anymore, lol. I have other clothes from when I was smaller sizes, but dont know if I will still want to wear clothes from when I was 24....

Anyone else have this problem? Should I buy a swimsuit in a size from last time and cross my fingers? Wait until closer and buy on the internet? How about other clothes? Wear the stuff from when I was younger? Guess and buy? UGH! Too many decisions, LOL

I found a few places that sell shorts and swimsuits year round (like JCP). At the end of last summer I was into a size 18w, by the cruise time in February this year I was into a misses 14. I was able to find some shorts I really liked online at JCP. In October you'll also find some great clearance deals.

Congratulations! I'm back on WW again too, and have decided to wait until the summer clothes are on clearance to buy for our "cruise season' starting in September. I will try to estimate what weight loss I will be able to acheive by then.

You might be able to find some things from Coldwater Creek on line before your October cruise. I have found some of my favorite cruise clothes there. Swimsuit wise.. I would go with the same basic style and maybe try a size less. I find that even if I lose weight it takes a lot to go down a size in suits.

This is a bit off topic from your question, but are you on the Points plus program, and do you find that it's harder to lose on this program?

DH and I are both following the new plan, and we have lost, but it is coming off painfully slow. I probably average 1/4-1/2 lb per week, and then I may gain. :p

First off...a big congratulations for your achievement so far! I totally relate to your post because I am in the same boat. Losing weight and wondering what in the world to do about a cruise wardrobe.

I think that for certain things, you need to wait and buy on the internet. Like a swim suit. When you DO buy a swim suit, I would suggest purchasing from http://www.athleta.com. They have a very friendly return/exchange policy. And they sell swimsuits year round.

Otherwise, you may need to adjust your style for this particular cruise. Purchase clothing that will work for multiple sizes. Like wrap skirts. Look at http://www.karizadesigns.com for ideas on how to wear their double layer style wrap skirt. There are other places to buy similar, but this one will give you a good idea of what you can do with a wrap skirt.

I think certain styles of dresses also continue to work well even as you lose weight. Buy a style that is sold S, M, L...not by a numbered size...generally, even if you could use a smaller size, the size up continues to work...depending on the style, you could just use a belt to cinch in the waist. Beware of buying sleeveless though, as the gaps in the arm holes can cause problems as you shrink.

I don't know how adventurous you are in clothing...if you are willing to experiment, check out Thai fisherman pants. These are a pants equivalent to a wrap skirt.

I'm not suggesting that you do this for EVERYTHING. But you could spend some time shopping for items like these...and then, when you are closer to your size, you would have less to find that would be your size. And you could concentrate on certain outfits...like formal nights...and if you could find just one or two pairs of fitted appropriate bottoms...it wouldn't be an overwhelming proposition to find an entire wardrobe.

You might be able to find some things from Coldwater Creek on line before your October cruise. I have found some of my favorite cruise clothes there. Swimsuit wise.. I would go with the same basic style and maybe try a size less. I find that even if I lose weight it takes a lot to go down a size in suits.

That store is my newest addiction now that I've lost 92 pounds, lol. I just got a credit card with them yesterday to get $30 off of the flowing cardigan (after having already spent another $200 in the last 2 weeks with them from outlet items and sales prices). The waterstone seamed skirt seems like it will be excellent no matter how much more I lose since it's a nice fitting Medium. The same with the cowl neck shell, it fits great in a M but will be even better if I lose more in the near future.

I also just started shopping at New York & Co. I bought the dress below in a medium and it will still fit great if I lose another 20 before I go on my cruise since I'm at the tighter end the size right now.

With a 50 pound goal though I really don't recomend buying in advance. What looks good right now might not look right when you hit that point. You also don't need to pressure yourself to lose x amount of pounds by a certain time frame as that can be discouraging if for some reason you get there. There's way too much time between now and then to guess at what size you'll be. As I mentioned before, JCP will always have shorts and swimsuits available online for you to purchase at a pretty good price.

Here's the current (taken Friday night) along with the before pic just for comparisons sake.

5801034293_c14858db6a_z.jpg5801065839_dc92742062_z.jpg

Hi, I'm in the same boat (ha!)- using Weight Watchers online to lose before our November cruise. First week went fine, second not so good and this week I'm stalled. Not going over my points, keeping track of everything I eat and drink, getting exercise... very frustrated already.

I'm hoping my bathing suit will still fit but I'm going to an upscale thrift shop for my evening wear since I don't wear fancy stuff very often. And since I live in Florida, shorts and warm weather clothes are available all year round. I so need to get this weight off so I can enjoy walking around ports and not being out of breath.

And my grown kids and sister will probably be joining us from the West Coast and I haven't seen them in almost two years so I want to look better.

We can do this! It's hard but well worth it.

Just another thought... since you're leaving from Puerto Rico where the weather is nice year round, what time are you flying in? They will have a JCP (and other stores) nearby that you could go shopping at before you take off. The ship is a late sailing and that was my backup plan in February. There are also clothing swaps you could try and do with others forums dedicated to weight loss.

I see you are from Mn. Most of the box stores start clearancing summer clothes in early Aug. Wait until then and hopefully you will be closer to the weight you will be on the cruise. (always hoping you will lose more though!)

Maybe even wait until Sept. for your swimsuit and order online, just give yourself time for returns, if needed.

Congrats on the weight loss!

Thanks everyone for the ideas, and congrats Sherilyn on your weight loss!!! I think it would be fun to go shopping in San Juan for a suit, but I dont think my hubby would, LOL. Plus, I would be in trouble if I didnt find something I liked.... I might keep an eye out for clearance sales and guess from there. I am going to go look at coldwater creek right now, though!!

This is a bit off topic from your question, but are you on the Points plus program, and do you find that it's harder to lose on this program?

DH and I are both following the new plan, and we have lost, but it is coming off painfully slow. I probably average 1/4-1/2 lb per week, and then I may gain. :p

I am using points plus, and at this point it is still going very well, but i could see it getting harder as I go along. Right now I am not using all the bonus points each week, so that is extra loss. I might have to fit in some exercise later to boost weight loss when I get less points per week... Good luck to you and your hubby! I think it is easier to stay on track when you are doing it together....

Archived