Formula Question

We are sailing with our 11 month old this July and use the ready to feed Similac sensitive with rice starch formula. I'm trying to figure out how that will work on the cruise. I'm concerned that the cabin refrigerators won't keep the formula bottle or prepared bottles cold enough. Would it be better to use the ice bucket or small cooler filled with ice daily? I'm considering bringing powder formula and mixing it with bottled water. Our baby doesn't really have tap water all that often and I'm debating using ship water instead of bringing bottled since I've read that it's filtered/purified.

What have other parents done for formula feeding? Thanks!

If you are ok with using the ship's water the powder would be the way to go. Less bulk/weight to carry aboard, no worries about the fridge being cold enough and you can decant some powder into another container and take it with you to mix a bottle when you aren't in your cabin.

The mini fridge in the cabins are generally not cold enough to keep pre-made formula or milk from spoiling.

So if using powder is an option that you are fine with, then use that method. I cruised with my son who was 9 months & on formula, and I used the ship's water. He never got sick from it at all. It is filtered so your child should be fine with the ship's water for the week. :)

A "bobble" is an option so that wherever you are, you have filtered water. Just fill up the water bottle, then squeeze it into whatever you need to use (such as a baby bottle) and you have filtered water.

http://www.waterbobble.com/

Especially good to have with you on shore excursions where you are not sure of the water quality at that port of call. They say the ship's water is pretty filtered, but you never know about other sources.

The ship's water is fine to use, especially with an almost 1 year old. Powdered is MUCH easier to deal with, since you'll make formula as needed. Your fridge will keep things cool enough for a day or so.....they are "dorm-style" cube fridges...not like a real home refrigerator!!

I would use bottled for formula in ports, if you don't already have it made up.

A "bobble" is an option so that wherever you are, you have filtered water. Just fill up the water bottle, then squeeze it into whatever you need to use (such as a baby bottle) and you have filtered water.

http://www.waterbobble.com/

Especially good to have with you on shore excursions where you are not sure of the water quality at that port of call. They say the ship's water is pretty filtered, but you never know about other sources.

These filters do not remove microorganisms and bacteria. You should still drink bottled water in ports where the quality of drinking water is questionable.

Powdered formula mix with water and ready to feed formula may not be the same consistency and if your child is picky about it, better to find out at home rather than at sea. Also, if your child is used to warmed bottles, work on getting used to room temp or colder; warm water isn't always available. (Not on a ship, but I once had to heat a bottle in a cup of coffee because the only water available was ice cold and much too cold to give a baby.)

Since your child is 11 months old, you might check with your health care provider about using regular cow's milk while you are away from home. Most kids can switch at a year old, so a little bit of milk a little early might be okay. Again, try it at home first since cow's milk is almost always cold.

If you stick with formula, remember to leave room in the bottle for mixing. Eight ounces of mixed formula fits in an eight ounce container, but eight ounces of water with 4 scoops of formula doesn't. (Again, I know this from experience.):rolleyes: Either way, have a great vacation with your little one!

When we sailed last year with our almost 11 month old..dr had told us two weeks before we left to start giving her cows milk...mom was a little hesitant to stop the similac..then right before cruise time, they had a recall on it!! So we started giving her cows milk, and never looked back! We also bought some of those Gerber Smart Sips.Those are great to have, and she loved them!! Sure was easier than worrying about taking formula. We took a small soft sided ice chest and the room steward kept it filled with ice and we picked up fresh milk when ever we needed it. Dot

Archived