Oasis docked port side at FLL

I was under the impression that the ship is not set up to dock on its port side. Maybe when it is in FLL and using deck 5 for boarding it doesn't matter? In ports of call I don't think it has the escalators on the port side to get people down from deck 3 to 2.

Either way, this is the first that I have heard of this happening.

I was under the impression that the ship is not set up to dock on its port side. Maybe when it is in FLL and using deck 5 for boarding it doesn't matter? In ports of call I don't think it has the escalators on the port side to get people down from deck 3 to 2.

I actually have heard of her docking port side but it's quite rare and haven't seen it at happen at terminal 18 before.... But they do have to at times for lifeboat drills....but I am not seeing any lifeboats down at this time.

Man, they run the lifeboat drill fast..... They are dropping down all the lifeboats on the starboard side........looks like they aren't even unhooking them.....dropping....running...and right back up....the first 3 boats are already back up since my last post.

Actually the two ships can dock port side but they try not to. On my first Oasis cruise, we docked in St. Maarten port side and then in Nassau last year on the Allure, we docked port side and it created a nightmare to reboard. As you stated, it's not set up to handle the passenger load and it slowed things down a bit.

I remember being told on one of my two sailings on her that they must drop and test the starboard life boats twice a year. This is obviously one of the two life boat drills required by (insert agency here) or Corporate policy.

By the way, has anyone else seen the two big dings in the I-beams above life boats #1 and #2. This happened when she crossed the Atlantic and encountered the 60 to 80 foot waves in the Bay of Biscay. Left quite an impression on the ship, as well as on me when I saw the damage caused by the life boats being slammed into a piece of steel at least five feet above the top of the life boats.

Actually the two ships can dock port side but they try not to. On my first Oasis cruise, we docked in St. Maarten port side and then in Nassau last year on the Allure, we docked port side and it created a nightmare to re board. As you stated, it's not set up to handle the passenger load and it slowed things down a bit.

I can't even imagine what that boarding nightmare must have looked like. When we were getting ready to re board in St. Maarten so many people returned to the pier at the same time it took forever to get everyone through security and back onto the ship. And that was with the ship docked on its usual starboard side.

Probably because she is the only cruise ship in port today it was easier to turn around when she entered this morning since there is less traffic than usual.

The only ship in port today on the Port Everglades webcam is Allure of the Seas.

Archived