Grand Bahama Island

I have been to Grand Bahama on both land based vacations as well as on a cruise. In my opinion, the beaches here are not among the best in the Caribbean. The exception is Gold Rock Beach in Lucaya National Park which is about a 45 minute drive from the pier. There are no taxis or bus service so you will need to rent a car or take a tour which will take you there. From the Grandeur, we took a kayak tour which included transportation to the area, kayaking with a guide, lunch & time at the beach, & a short nature hike viewing some underground springs & caves. If you are looking for a deserted, yet beautiful, beach, Gold Rock is the place to go. No vendors, no bathrooms.....

Snorkeling is also a good activity for this port. Sorry I cannot comment on any other activities on Grand Bahama. Hope you enjoy your visit there.

Great question! We'll be going in August and I haven't seen too much on this port. I read where someone said it is actually Freeport, but I'm not sure if that is correct. I hope we get some more info on this thread.

The port for Grand Bahama is Freeport, a heavily industrialized port. We were there on a Bahamas cruise last year, and if we ever went there again, we would probably spend the day on the ship. Not really a worthwhile port of call.

The snorkelling sounds good. Can I just buy my own gear at Target or somewhere and do it on our own or do you need an excursion? Can you get to Atlantis from this port? and how?

Sure, you can buy and bring your own snorkel gear and go off on your own. I will tell you this that you will get aweful tired swimming to The Atlantis Resort as they are on Paradise Island which is next to New Providence Island of which Nassau is the capital. It seems though, that you are going to Grand Bahama Island whose port city is Freeport.

Went to Grand Bahama Island last year on Grandeur of the Seas. Took a bus trip to two shopping areas. The tour guide went through several housing areas including showing us Count Basies house but other than some scenery what a waste. The bus also took us to the beach where some of the ship went, they had a little more fun there. Going there on the Voyager in June, thinking of just staying on the ship. If you have never seen anything, you might as well try something, next time you will at least know what not to do .

Wally

Archived