Hurricane policy by Carnival

pawsue521

I've searched the Carnival site and can't find information about how they handle hurricane issues. We are cruising mid-July out of New Orleans on Triumph. What happens if bad weather is an issue??

Thanks so much for any and all information!

They will contact you also it will be on the website the the usual "we are closely monitoring this..."

They will either cancel the cruise (highly unlikely), delay departure or change your itinerary.

I don't recall seeing a specific clause regarding hurricanes.

Carnival does say in the contract that they can change the ports anytime for whatever reason. That would cover weather.

Normally they will reroute around the bad weather , taking you to different ports if possible. One cruise we were heading back to New Orleans when we learned the port of N.O was closed. They announce they would take us to Galveston to disembark and then bus us back to N.O. Once in Galveston the port of N.O. had been reopened and they gave us a choice of getting off in Galveston or cruising back to N.O. We cruised back and got 2 extra days on the ship. Loved it. For sure Carnival wil not take you in harms way.

I dont see anyone mentioning which usually actually happens if you cruise out of the gulf.. they just skip the port. Its extremely hard to find a port the ship can reach and change to if you leave from either new orleans or galveston.

the posters replying probably cruise mostly from Florida where they can change the ports more easily.

Conquest missed 2 out of 3 ports last sept.

Found this on the Carnival FAQ , re:hurricanes

Hurricane season encompasses the months of June through November. Due to the unpredictable nature of hurricanes it may not be possible to give information about itinerary changes in advance of the sailing. Carnival's main priority is the safety of our guests and crew, as well as the vessel. It is rare for a cancellation to occur due to an impending hurricane. In some instances an itinerary deviation is implemented to avoid a storm. Hurricanes have been known to change their course drastically at the last minute. Guests that have any questions should contact our Reservations department the day prior to sailing, as that is when we will have definitive information. We will always make decisions that assure the cruise experience will be a great one and that all on board are totally safe.

Note: Guests who purchased Carnival’s Cruise Vacation Protection Plan and need to cancel or are delayed en-route to (or from) their cruise vacation due to a hurricane may be eligible for: Reimbursement of your otherwise non-refundable, prepaid cruise vacation cost should you need to cancel (Note: NOAA must have issued a severe weather warning or watch at departure destination or en-route within 48-hours of your departure); or, up to $500 reimbursement for unused, prepaid cruise vacation costs, meals, accommodations and one-way economy airfare to catch-up to (or return home from) your cruise vacation if your cruise vacation is delayed due to the hurricane. Please see the plan description for specific terms, conditions and exclusions.

If the hurricane is a factor at or just prior to your departure Carnival can, at their discretion, cancel any ports of call that might be effected by the storm...

If it's prior to your departure, say the day or two prior, you'd be given an opportunity to cancel your cruise and reschedule or or cancel and be refunded your money or sail with the modified itinerary... From Carnival:

© Carnival has the right without previous notice to cancel this contract at the port of embarkation or any time during the voyage and shall thereupon return to the Guest, if the Contract is completely canceled, his passage money, or, if the Contract is partially canceled, a proportionate part thereof. Under such circumstances, Carnival shall have no further liability for damages or compensation of any kind.

Should the storm arise during the cruise the obvious primary objective is to keep the passengers safe. The captain will alter the course and itinerary as he sees fit. Any ports of call missed will simply be compensated by a refund of the taxes and fees imposed on each passenger by the port authority. As an example, we were reimbursed $9.76 for missing Grand Cayman. From Carnival:

(d) The Vessel shall be entitled to leave and enter ports with or without pilots or tugs, to tow and assist other vessels in any circumstances, to return to or enter any port at the Master’s discretion and for any purpose and to deviate in any direction or for any purpose from the direct or usual course, and to omit or change any or all port calls, arrival or departure times, with or without notice, for any reason whatsoever, including but not limited to safety, security, adverse weather, strikes, tides, hostilities, civil unrest, port closings, emergency debarkations of Guests or crew, or late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, mechanical breakdowns, US or foreign governmental advisories or travel warnings, all such deviations being considered as forming part of and included in the proposed voyage. Carnival shall have no liability for any compensation or other damages in such circumstances.other than as provided by Carnival’s change of itinerary policy at the time Guest or his agent acknowledges receipt and acceptance of the terms and conditions of the cruise ticket contract.

The above information is extracted from the contract that you will agree to prior to sailing.

:)

I was also on the Ecstasy last July 4th weekend .... cruise to nowhere, because a hurricane delayed the departure.

I cant think of even one time a ship out of New Orleans or Galveston was routed to another port because of a hurricane lately. .. they just skip the ports.

I talked to one lady on Conquest who had missed the caymans 3 times in a row.

Like I said the posters are replying to the policy in general .. but specifically if you are going out of new orleans, odds are you would skip the port.

We have been on a number of cruises during hurricane season where they change the itinerary or skip some ports.

Would rather that not happen but safety comes first and cruising during hurricane season is a time of cheap fares.

Last October, we left New Orleans for Belize, Roatan and then Cozumel. Due to Hurricane Richard we stopped in Cozumel first, then we were headed for Belize, but went to Roatan instead, then they announced we would be going to Belize the next day, a few hours later, they announced Belize is closed due to hurricane damage, we will have an extra sea day, then at dinner they said we will go to Costa Maya instead of a sea day. The next morning we could not dock in Costa Maya because of the rough seas. We ended up going to Cozumel a second time. They really worked hard to reroute us, and take us to ports. I did not mind all of the changes, I knew it was for our own safety.

I was also on the Ecstasy last July 4th weekend .... cruise to nowhere, because a hurricane delayed the departure.

I cant think of even one time a ship out of New Orleans or Galveston was routed to another port because of a hurricane lately. .. they just skip the ports.

I talked to one lady on Conquest who had missed the caymans 3 times in a row.

Like I said the posters are replying to the policy in general .. but specifically if you are going out of new orleans, odds are you would skip the port.

2005 is not lately, but our July 17, 2005 cruise on the Elation from Galveston was rerouted to the Bahamas (vs. Progresso, Cozumel, and Belize)

No matter to our group of 13, we still had a blast!!

2005 is not lately, but our July 17, 2005 cruise on the Elation from Galveston was rerouted to the Bahamas (vs. Progresso, Cozumel, and Belize)

Iv seen some rerouted during the swine flu too, but from the gulf there just are so few ports that can really be reached.

even the eastern from galveston cant be a true eastern, goes to the bahamas and key west, cant reach st thomas and further ports one assumes, since it never goes that far.

Our Triumph cruise last Sept. was going to replace Belize with Key West. Forget the name of the storm but by the time we sailed they had switched back to Belize because the storm had passed.

It was rainy in Belize, we missed Roatan because of wind, but Cozumel was sunny. This was our 10th cruise and only the second time we missed a port so I guess we have been lucky.

We had an aft wrap so we really didn't mind another day at sea, it was probably our most relaxing cruise. :D

The only hurricane policy I've experienced (and I should say it was RCI not Carnival, but I think it would be similar)...missed port, barf bags in the halls by the elevators, and many passengers running to the side of the ship to puke. Wasn't one of the best cruises I've been on! But...you know going on a cruise it's a possibility...just one of the risks you take. Still had a good time overall...the rough weather from the storm was just one of the days/nights.

If you sail from South Florida the ships have more options and can east or west or even "south" ...or just go to the Bahamas and or Key West etc

Gulf cruises often end up with "sea" days...but the captain will keep you safe, they will just sail out away from the hurricane and sail around.

Sometimes that makes (stupid) passengers angry....I think Legend and Conquest have both had this happen. One time on the Legend some total fools were trying to have protests or something

really stupid cause the Captain is keeping you SAFE

however, if you really want to be "sure' don't sail during hurricane season and if you do, sail from Miami/Ft Lauderdale with their many options

Sometimes that makes (stupid) passengers angry....I think Legend and Conquest have both had this happen. One time on the Legend some total fools were trying to have protests or something

however, if you really want to be "sure' don't sail during hurricane season and if you do, sail from Miami/Ft Lauderdale with their many options

Just to add -- there are other reasons why you might miss ports, even when it's not hurricane season. If a passenger or crew member becomes seriously ill, the captain's first responsibility is to ensure that person's safety, even if it means the ship has to miss a port and evacuate the sick person. Also, sometimes at a port where tendering is required, if the surf is to strong sometimes they skip the port rather than endangering the passengers. There really is no "sure" bet on ports.

Personally I choose cruises based on ports and excursions, but you gotta roll with the punches and just be happy to be on vacation, even if things change.

On conquest we had tried to dock in a named storm, rode right into the storm because we had to pick up entertainment I think?? People said Carnival told them they wouldnt take them into a storm, and thats exactly what we did. So then we had to go the next 24 hours thru it to come back to the other side of the storm to get home.

Thats the conquest one that people got upset about. Going into the storm to pick up entertainers and to try and dock in Jamaica in that storm just wasnt to be. Not a thing to do with "only keep pax safe". I didnt get seasick so I didnt care myself.

Thanks everyone! YES, we agree, as long as we're safe, it's all good! We've cruised 5 other times and our best days have ALWAYS been our at sea days---we're pretty laid back. I was just wondering what would happen and didn't realize they re-routed. I'm not worried about missing particular ports, I was worried about missing a trip all together! :) As always, great info and thanks so much!

• 3 months later...

LOL we sailed the same day just out of New Orleans, and they just cancelled Jamaica, gave us an extra sea day and some obc. Had a blast!

I was scheduled on the Conquest out of NOLA in 2005 and Katrina hit about a month prior to our departure date. Carnival notified us that our embarkation port was changing to Galveston and fortunately the airline I booked with worked with me to make the change to Houston at no cost.

Then, about a week before we were to sail, I think it was Rita that hit Galveston that same year. About two days before we were to sail, my PVP contacted me and said our cruise had been shortened from a seven night to a four night cruise and that we'd be refunded the difference or given OBC as the difference.

I asked for a full refund because I had paid for a seven night cruise and wanted a seven night vacation. He put up a little resistance at first, but after I stayed firm he fully refunded my fare. I then put together a last minute All Inclusive Resort stay in Freeport and again, the airline I booked with had no problems switching me into Ft Lauderdale.

That's been my only experience with hurricanes/Carnival.

Archived