Seeing the Mississippi

gooch47

Sure, it can be. But in January it was a little chilly to stay outside long in New Orleans. Just depends on the weather.

Oh ok. We are going in September, so it should be plenty hot enough to stay up on deck. :D

We just sailed the Spirit in April. I didn't find it to be particularly scenic on the Mississippi. I too wondered what all the fuss was about as I had read that it was pretty cool to sail down the Mississippi. I just didn't see anything wonderful to look at. It was too dark to see anything by the time we reached the Gulf.

However on the way back up the Mississippi it was fun to pass by another cruiseship. Not sure where we were at but we passed each other pretty close.

That would be neat to pass another ship. :eek: Where there no lights on when it got dark? That's what I'm hoping to see.

In November it'll be getting dark early. It's a working river port and you will see things related to that----other ships, docks, piers, some refinery action. Sometime in the night you will pass a Carny ship which departs on Saturdays. We like to moon them.

About 2 hrs from the dock you will pass our friends (Jimmie and Dena) house on the east side of the river. We were talking with them on the cell phone as we approached. They had a bonfire on the riverbank and flickeed the houselights. We thought this was a gas.

Here's a note: while you're on the river, your phone is still using land-based towers and you don't hafta pay the ship's satellite rates.

Man, sounds like you guys have a lot of fun. :eek: hehe Good to know about the phones.

This is what we saw leaving

https://picasaweb.google.com/scottyo72/NorwegianSpiritJanuary6132008NewOrleansAndSailAway?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ_Kp8mth9ri3AE&feat=directlink

and returning

https://picasaweb.google.com/scottyo72/NorwegianSpiritCruiseTheMississippiRiver?authkey=Gv1sRgCOGNuf3onJKEnwE&feat=directlink

in January '08. We left about 10 or 15 minutes early.

As you start to head down river, the French Quarter will be on the port side. We were outside on a top deck and had great views for sail away.

The Mississippi has a lot of sharp turns, and the ship needs to be going fast enough for the rudders to work effeciently and maintain control. I was surprised how much the ship heeled around some of the turns. It wasn't like swaying or having waves, just leaning. It probably wasn't that dramatic, but given that it was in the first hours of the cruise, I was probably more aware of it.

We were back in New Orleans a few months ago. Even though we weren't there for a cruise I walked over to have a look at Carnival Triumph and Norwegian Spirit.

https://picasaweb.google.com/scottyo72/NOJan2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ6CuJGi8eSX6QE&feat=directlink

Thank you so much for the pictures. It helps to put a perspective on what you'll see.

I didn't really care for the "daylight" pictures but LOVED the night ones. Is there anything to see at night when you are leaving? I know you won't be close to down town, but was just wondering if you would see a bunch of lights like this? This is what I like to see. :)

If not, around what time did you manage to get the photos upon returning?

On one of the other boards, either the Gulf Departures or the New Orleans board, there is a description of what you will see as you go along the river.

On Sundays, our family huddles around the computer to watch the Port of New Orleans web cam as the ship leaves port and makes The Turn.

This is the view of the port: http://www.nola.com/bridgecam/

This is the view of the river: http://www.nola.com/rivercam/

You can watch the ship turn around on the first one, then begin its journey down the river. A few minutes after it leaves that webcam's view, it will appear on the river cam. The ship disappears while it goes around the bend in the river, then reappears and sails out of view. It's a good 20 minutes or so of entertainment every Sunday at 5:00 Central.;)

Thank you so much for the pictures. It helps to put a perspective on what you'll see.

I didn't really care for the "daylight" pictures but LOVED the night ones. Is there anything to see at night when you are leaving? I know you won't be close to down town, but was just wondering if you would see a bunch of lights like this? This is what I like to see. :)

If not, around what time did you manage to get the photos upon returning?

Most of the lights are industrial facilities, river terminals, or refineries. They are scattered all along the river. I don't know specific locations, but if you're on the river after dark you'll see something. Even in the Gulf, you will see oil wells for a while.

As I recall there's a TV channel that shows the ship's position.

On the return trip up river I think I randomly woke up at 4:00 or 5:00. We were tied up at the terminal by 6:00 or 6:30, but that all depends on weather, tides and other factors. On our cruise, one of the engines was offline, so our itinerary was all jacked up.

On one of the other boards, either the Gulf Departures or the New Orleans board, there is a description of what you will see as you go along the river.

On Sundays, our family huddles around the computer to watch the Port of New Orleans web cam as the ship leaves port and makes The Turn.

This is the view of the port: http://www.nola.com/bridgecam/

This is the view of the river: http://www.nola.com/rivercam/

You can watch the ship turn around on the first one, then begin its journey down the river. A few minutes after it leaves that webcam's view, it will appear on the river cam. The ship disappears while it goes around the bend in the river, then reappears and sails out of view. It's a good 20 minutes or so of entertainment every Sunday at 5:00 Central.;)

Thanks for the links. And as for the sunday family huddle :eek: Then I read your signature :D

Planar's edge noted above, "Holland America sails all the way into Montreal which is about 160 miles up river from Quebec City." Which sent me to the Maasdam reviews where I learned that the ship since refurbishing in Florida earlier this year has not made it all the way to Montreal. Passengers were bused from the Montreal port to Quebec City, a trip of three hours' duration. Don't suppose the Spirit has such options.

...and the pilot is just along for the ride.

PE

Have to beg to differ on this one. Pilots navigate the vessel. We are responsible for communicating with other traffic, and giving direct steering commands to the helmsman. The only thing we don't do that we normally do on other ships is the docking. I have piloted many cruise vessels up and down river including the Spirit in zero visibility. The Captains hand the con over to us once they are undocked and we are in control of the vessel until it is at sea. To say that I am just along for the ride is really a misinformed statement. It is true that the Captain is ultimately responsible with what happens to his vessel, I can be held accountable in an accident. I decide where and when to meet certain vessels, where and how to overtake others. I have been up and down that river more times in the past few weeks than the Captain has been in his career.

Have to beg to differ on this one. Pilots navigate the vessel. We are responsible for communicating with other traffic, and giving direct steering commands to the helmsman. The only thing we don't do that we normally do on other ships is the docking. I have piloted many cruise vessels up and down river including the Spirit in zero visibility. The Captains hand the con over to us once they are undocked and we are in control of the vessel until it is at sea. To say that I am just along for the ride is really a misinformed statement. It is true that the Captain is ultimately responsible with what happens to his vessel, I can be held accountable in an accident. I decide where and when to meet certain vessels, where and how to overtake others. I have been up and down that river more times in the past few weeks than the Captain has been in his career.

And what a fine job you guys do. :) I love seeing the tug boats leading a big vessel out. I remember watching them last year lead the Epic out to sea. It warmed my sole.

The sail down the Mississippi is awesome. There's enough daylight in the winter to see some of the sights in New Orleans and beyond. There's a great thread on the New Orleans board that lists the sights in order.

Reaching the mouth of the river is really great too. This year our room was directly over where the pilot jumped from the ship to the pilot boat. We have a room in the same area in October. We were fortunate enough to be on our balcony when we passed the Triumph going upriver on the first night. Seeing a fellow massive vessel approach and pass you out of the fog on Old Man River was amazing. Made for eerie photos.

Archived