Missing/Stolen Item From Room...Need Opinions On What To Do!

Oh, I really wish this thread wasn't brought back to the 1st page. but I suppose I should have expected it.

Anyways, as you may have gathered from my last post on this thread I actually do feel VERY bad about accusing the Stateroom Attendant on this board,a nd know it was a mistake. I do think that most people (even you), would unfortuantely at first place blame on the S.A when an item goes missing. It's not right, but that's just how it goes. The odds of some other passenger going into a cabin (with the door propped) open is very very low. I know it does happen, but so does theft from cruise ship employees. To state that neither occurs is being naive.

Hang in there and don't let negative comments get to you. Some of us do understand that you are just trying to get advice on how to get to certain people with Royal Caribbean and resolve the matter. I think anyone in the same situation would feel violated. You did nothing wrong and I wish you the best of luck in either finding your equipment, or having it replaced. Good luck almost making Diamond too!

I sympathize with the poster. When my boys were young, they were always being set up and accused of things they didn't do. It started with persons sneaking in the house and spreading mud over the floors and putting little shoe prints up the wall beside their bed. In later years, their schoolmates would steal their lunch money, but they consoled themselves with bubble gum and baseball cards they found at school. It continued into their teenage years with their unknown enemies scratching my cars and putting dents in them while they were doing something else. I never did find out who the mysterious stranger was that stuffed empty beer cans under the front seat that slid out when I drove the car after my sons had been in it for the weekend. Their enemies even went so far as to hold a party in my home and leave articles of clothing while their mother and I attended a business conference when they came home from a semester at college. I hope whoever stole all those jackets and sports equipment and gifts we gave them when they were young will meet a just reward. I am glad that they managed to out distance all the evil perpetrators as adults. Someone keeps swiping my reading glasses and putting them on my head when I'm not looking. They must be waiting for the boys to come back.

Life is short....get yourself another dvd player and forget about it. Now.....where's my glasses ?

People this is old news. The OP's DVD player was recovered and she apologized for leaping to any assumptions about the SA.

Yes, it gets aggravating when people just feel the need to post without fulling reading other replies. :rolleyes:

But where does it say her DVD player was recovered :confused: I really want to know how she found it!!

This is not cruise related but on my last visit to Las Vegas I stayed at the Encore which is a five star luxury resort. I left some lingerie in a drawer when I got home and was unpacking I realized I had left it in the room. I called lost and found several times and housekeeping as well and the housekeeper kept the items for herself. The hotel did nothing until I posted it on their Facebook page. Then they decided to apologize and address the issue. Don't give up on it you spent a lot of money on that cruise to have something stolen. It's totally not acceptable!

I've been reading the posts and in the first instance really sympathise with the OP. The DVD player + CD's were lost, we don't know how and probably never will.

I do feel that whilst I appreciate its frustrating the original post title has an implication of theft. The first line then starts with I think... stole....

I note the OP has apologised which I think is acceptable IMHO. However I would just like to clarify that not everyone jumps to a conclusion that 'it must have been stolen'. I have done 2 cruises and lost an item on both ships (of value to me). On both occasions once I realised the items were missing, my first thought was - oh blow :( how could I have forgotten that? I should have been more careful. It has never once occured to me that my items could have been stolen.

In fact I didn't even follow up with an email or call to the ship to see if they were handed in. Reading through these posts, I will do so in the future, if I lose anything going forward.

I do hope the items are returned to you and am sorry the curise ended on a sad note.

BTW, didn't notice in the threads it had been recovered either.

One lesson we should all learn from this -- give it at least a little time. It takes some time to communicate with the ships and conduct searches etc. And there is always room for misunderstanding in email communications which may have explained the very slight delay here. OP was notified the item was found right at 10 days after the end of the cruise. I think that is pretty good considering the ship is continuing operations in the interim.

I hate to say this, but I think our Stateroom Attendant stole from us:(

The evening of disembarking Allure last Sunday, we discovered that were were missing our portable DVD player which included 15+ DVD's. Immediately, I recalled it was under the nightstand next to bed, which is where I had first placed it when we unpacked all our belongings. We never used it during the cruise as we brought it for our kids to use during the flight to/from Florida. We completely forgot about the item when were in the rush of packing but my DH insists that he checked that whole area for toys that my kids may have dropped and did not see it. This was the evening before we disembarked.

We placed a report to RCI but they came back and said the item was not found. I pressed them further to inquire again, but I do not have hight hopes.

So, my question is what is the best way to handle this? The Post Cruise Department (includes lost luggage and lost/found) is not being very helpful. They said that they will send another email to the ship to follow up, but I want this to be investigated and elevated appropriately. Is there someone else we should be calling?

Unfortantely, I have to suspect that the stateroom Attendant took it. Based on the fact that my DH looked in that area it must have been taken prior to us leaving the room. Even if it was moved accidentally to another place they would have found it when cleaning the room for the next set of guests.

Somebody is not telling the truth and although I truly do hate to to believe it the only person that could have taken it was the Stateroom Attendant. There is the chance that the next occupants found it, but I find it very unlikely that it was not noticed prior to them arriving (it's not that small or hard to miss).

We are 1 cruise away from being Diamond and DH says we will not be sailing with RCI again if they don't do something. I hate that it would come to that....

Please let us know if you DVD was located? Did RCI find it? Was it in Lost & Found? Or did it turn up with your belongings? Let us know as it's nice to have mysteries solved.

Archived