Whale watching - crazy question

CruisingSarah

OK, so I would quite like to do a whale watching trip on a small boat on our upcoming Alaska cruise but I am a bit worried....

The whales are so huge and the boats so tiny, what if a whale jumps up really,really close to the boat or strikes it from underneath or something like that :eek:

I am sure I can't be the only one to have this concern:(

I would appreciate any reassurance on this please.

OK, so I would quite like to do a whale watching trip on a small boat on our upcoming Alaska cruise but I am a bit worried....

The whales are so huge and the boats so tiny, what if a whale jumps up really,really close to the boat or strikes it from underneath or something like that :eek:

I am sure I can't be the only one to have this concern:(

I would appreciate any reassurance on this please.

I think (?) there is only one recorded incident in history of a whale ramming a boat. The book Moby Dick was inspired by that story.

I think it's safe to say that many Whales boats would be wrecked if a humpback landed on it. But, keep in mind how many reports you've heard of that over the past few years. 1 or 2? They weren't even in AK. Then remember that multiple tour companies run multiple boats daily, not just in AK, but MA, CA, HI, and probably numerous other places. And you don't hear of problems.

Your bigger fear in Alaskan waters is the whirlpools that swallow cruise ships.

(Sorry, I'm a wise-arse)

Thanks Steve, yes it's true to say you just don't ever hear of anything like this so I guess it is really safe, the whale watcher crews know what they are doing so as not to get too close or stress the whales in any way.

And thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to keep a look out for those whirlpools ;)

the boats have to stay, by law, 100 yard from the known whales. that doesn't mean the whales can't come closer, but the boats do everything to keep thier legal distance. there has been whales "bumping" a boat, no major damage, just a whale coming up to breathe and the boat being in the way. haven't heard of any incedents for a long time.

CruisingSarah- So glad you asked this. I am looking at pictures in the travel books and wondered the same thing. These small boats look like they would be toppled with a "bump." Thanks to those that responded to reassure us that we are not going to be dumped in the water.

Yes the boats have to stay away from the whales, or at least where the whales are on the surface and where they were just spotted, but there is the odd chance that a whale could come up under a small boat. I suppose that always is possible, and there are some incidents of "bumps," but bear in mind that the engine on the boat makes a lot of noise underwater, and the whales can hear that sound not only from a long way off, but very clearly. I would not give it another thought.

We have just returned from our May 28-June 4th cruise on the Diamond Princess. In Juneau the six of us went with Harv & Marv's small boat whale watching tour. It was fantastic - just the six of us, the captain and one crew member. We loved it - especially after we saw the crowds around the rail on the larger boats! Capt. Liz really loves her job and does an excellent tour - very knowledgeable. We had no worries about the whales being larger than our boat. We saw orcas and humpbacks, sea lions, bald eagles. Great choice - would highly recommend this company.

Ditto RBTraveler!

We were on the HAL Zuiderdam May 28-June 4 and went on a whale watching tour with Harv & Marv and it was by far our favorite excursion! They were wonderful!! I loved being on a tiny boat with only 6 people (a nice change to get away from all the cruise ship people) and they all work with each other to find the best spots for whales.

We went with Capt Shawn and he was awesome! Very informative and just seemed like a great guy. My mom (who is 60) and I (who am 30) thoroughly enjoyed the trip. We saw the larger boats with 50-100 people on them and it made me VERY thankful that we weren't on a boat like that. I don't like "rubbing elbows" with a bunch of people and fighting for the best spot to get a good photo. I was already tired of cruise ship crowds by the time we got to Juneau, so the Harv & Marv boat was a welcome break!

I would say go without worries! Those things have happened, but H&M and their team are seasoned professionals that have been doing this for years, so they will keep you safe...and the odds of something like that even happening are one in a billion! ;)

There's this famous one that occurred in South Africa. Fortunately it was a SOUTHERN right whale so you should be safe in Alaska! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSIEoNl8Fy4&feature=related

Although it says the boat may have been too close, a sailboat is quiet. I imagine something with an engine running keep whales further away.

I wouldn't worry about it. You probable have a better chance of being hit with lightning, or perhaps winning the lottery! :)

We have just returned from our May 28-June 4th cruise on the Diamond Princess. In Juneau the six of us went with Harv & Marv's small boat whale watching tour. It was fantastic - just the six of us, the captain and one crew member. We loved it - especially after we saw the crowds around the rail on the larger boats! Capt. Liz really loves her job and does an excellent tour - very knowledgeable. We had no worries about the whales being larger than our boat. We saw orcas and humpbacks, sea lions, bald eagles. Great choice - would highly recommend this company.

Hi, How rough was the water. I am prone to sea sickness and worrying about taking a whale watching tour on a small boat. We will be in Juneau the first week of August. Thanks.

I did ask this question when we were on an excursion (late August). The answer was that in AK they don't normally see whales breach. No one asked about the "abnormal" situations.

I must respectfully disagree with the statement about breaching whales in Alaska. I've see adults and calves breach quite often. You may also get the chance to see a pod of whales bubble feeding.

I must respectfully disagree with the statement about breaching whales in Alaska. I've see adults and calves breach quite often. You may also get the chance to see a pod of whales bubble feeding.

Previously I've seen bubble feeding...this trip (May 28) we saw 3 sleeping humpbacks, a fully breaching humpback, humpbacks lunge feeding and some orcas with a calf toying with some Dall's porpoises. Normal/abnormal...anything is possible.

Archived