Avoid S2 2117 on S Class if you like quiet!

iandjm

I have just returned from a wonderful Baltic cruise on Eclipse. Every aspect of the cruise was great, apart from one! We were in Sky Suite 2117, which is direcly below the Ocean Cafe. I have been in Sky suite slightly aft of 2117 in the past and noise has not been a problem, but, 2117 is directly under a tiled area, with both bar stools and chairs on it. We could hear every chair movement, and every single trolly that was wheeled accross the floor sounded like a train going overhead! The noise started at 5am with floor cleaning, chair dragging and trolly wheeling, and went on until at least 1am. We complained to front desk on many occasions, but there wwas very little they could do for us sadly.

Apart from our problem I can report that the food, entertainment and service was better than ever on Eclipse. Its just a shame that more thought wasn't put into the flooring design over the suites on deck 12.

Ian

Sorry to hear that - we've got 2119 booked for the Equinox, having just switched from 2121 as somebody had a really bad experience in this one. Guess we're just going to have to put up with noise! Why oh why don't they think of these things when they design ships. :confused:

However, glad to hear that you had a wonderful trip - we're doing the same sailing on Saturday week, but have a CS booked, so hopefully no noise issues in that cabin. I'd love to read a review should you have the time to post one. If not are you able to give us a few tips about the ports etc? Did you need Swedish or Danish Krona, or did you find that you could use a credit card in these ports? How was the North Sea, it was blowing a gale the weekend you sailed?

Many thanks and hope you've got used to not having cleaning towells twice a day! Susie

I'm sorry you had this experience. It's tough when it affects your sleeping. This happened to us on the Galaxy in a CC cabin. Furniture was being dragged all night and although the cruise was great, we were so tired all of the time we felt like we needed another vacation to recover from our vacation.

We now make sure there are cabins below us and above us when we choose a cabin.

Maybe you need another vacation to rest up?

Sorry to hear that - we've got 2119 booked for the Equinox, having just switched from 2121 as somebody had a really bad experience in this one. Guess we're just going to have to put up with noise! Why oh why don't they think of these things when they design ships. :confused:

However, glad to hear that you had a wonderful trip - we're doing the same sailing on Saturday week, but have a CS booked, so hopefully no noise issues in that cabin. I'd love to read a review should you have the time to post one. If not are you able to give us a few tips about the ports etc? Did you need Swedish or Danish Krona, or did you find that you could use a credit card in these ports? How was the North Sea, it was blowing a gale the weekend you sailed?

Many thanks and hope you've got used to not having cleaning towells twice a day! Susie

I had a CS last year on Eclipse. You will be fine with noise there as you have other cabins above and below you :)

On QM2 on 17 June with my 91 year old Neighbour. Ive always promised him a trip on a cruise ship :)

Thanks very much for posting this noise issue. We were in 2133 on the Equinox a couple years ago and experienced the noise in the wee hours from above. I thought that perhaps 2117 would be quieter and had booked it for a Feb 2013 cruise, but you have given me enough notice to change cabins, which I just did. Thanks again. :)

We had a mini suite on another cruise line. Early morning we could hear a lot of noise that sounded like tap dancing. Thought they were either having dance lessons or some kind of early morning workout. Found out it was the carts rolling across the tiles in the buffet area.

Since then we never booked a guaranteed category. This was a mini suite guarantee last moment thing so we thought we would be safe. Wrong.

We always book the area we want. The few extra dollars are worth it. Complaining doesn't accomplish anything because those cabins will always have the same annoyances and the staff are aware of them. If the cruise line reapply care they would put a warning about those cabins and sell them for less.

This is why good ear plugs are at the top of my packing list, no matter where I go on land or sea. You can do all the research you want and then discover that the person in the next room is going to try and bring up a lung every night. Or, the door to the next balcony will not shut tightly and slightly bangs all night etc,etc. Bring those ear plugs!

Thanks very much for posting this noise issue. We were in 2133 on the Equinox a couple years ago and experienced the noise in the wee hours from above. I thought that perhaps 2117 would be quieter and had booked it for a Feb 2013 cruise, but you have given me enough notice to change cabins, which I just did. Thanks again. :)

My Pleasure. I hate having to be negative about Eclipse, as it's an amazing ship but spending £5000 between 2 people for a suite and ending up with more noise than in a travelodge really gets to you :s

Sorry to 'hear' of your noise issues, but happy to know the rest of your cruise was wonderful. Did you post your comments on your cabin in the Sticky for Solstice Class Cabin Info at the top of the Celebrity board? In not, please do so as it a great resouce for cabin info which will get better with each addition. Check it out before you book your next S class cruise. Happy planning & saiing! :)

I have just returned from a wonderful Baltic cruise on Eclipse. Every aspect of the cruise was great, apart from one! We were in Sky Suite 2117, which is direcly below the Ocean Cafe. I have been in Sky suite slightly aft of 2117 in the past and noise has not been a problem, but, 2117 is directly under a tiled area, with both bar stools and chairs on it. We could hear every chair movement, and every single trolly that was wheeled accross the floor sounded like a train going overhead! The noise started at 5am with floor cleaning, chair dragging and trolly wheeling, and went on until at least 1am. We complained to front desk on many occasions, but there wwas very little they could do for us sadly.

Apart from our problem I can report that the food, entertainment and service was better than ever on Eclipse. Its just a shame that more thought wasn't put into the flooring design over the suites on deck 12.

Ian

Hi Ian, we sailed with you last year (I think twice) on Eclipse, and had an S2 (2128) and C2 (1231). The S2 had some noise, but nothing too bad, and the C2 was quiet in terms of noise from outside the cabin, but there was a lot of creaking!

We have booked 2117 for next year, so am about to change - however, despite scrutinising the cabin compillation spreadsheet, I really am none the wiser as to which cabin would be best. I am not keen on the aft cabins, and that only leaves the 'side' cabins in S2 class - will have to think on this one - any suggestions anyone?

thanks

Hi Ian, we sailed with you last year (I think twice) on Eclipse, and had an S2 (2128) and C2 (1231). The S2 had some noise, but nothing too bad, and the C2 was quiet in terms of noise from outside the cabin, but there was a lot of creaking!

We have booked 2117 for next year, so am about to change - however, despite scrutinising the cabin compillation spreadsheet, I really am none the wiser as to which cabin would be best. I am not keen on the aft cabins, and that only leaves the 'side' cabins in S2 class - will have to think on this one - any suggestions anyone?

thanks

Hi :)

Try further towards the stern, ie towards 2127? I have changed all my bookings to this suite :)

Ian

Hi Ian, thanks. We were in 2128 on the Cork trip and it was mostly quiet (we posted on the cabin sticky). Feels a bit of a lottery really, which is a pity on such a beautiful ship. If the aft cabins weren't such a long walk from the lifts we would have been tempted!

Have you ever been charged an admin fee to change cabin?

Archived