Weather & Jacket question

FoghornLeghorn

Not sure where to post this, so I picked this, since I'll be on the QM2.

I'm spending a week in London before coming back to U.S. on the QM2.

This will be Mid to late April 2012.

I'm assuming I will need a light jacket for site seeing during the day in London and perhaps on the ship when I'm out on the decks.....

What is the weather "normally" like in April in London?

and

Has anyone bought one of the travel jackets, or travel vests with the hidden inside pockets?

I don't want to do a "fanny pack"

Any advice would be much appreciated.

TIA

Reba, weather at sea and in London in late April, could require more than a light jacket, or a sweater with a light jacket. Late April in London will find spring in full sway, and the tulips particularly in the parks are glorious. Count on temperatures in the high 50's and low 60s. And don't forget to take your Brolly.

Mike

Hi FoghornLeghorn. I found that people in London dress smartly. Just my personal suggestion, but if you don't want to stand out as a tourist, the dress code for smart casual on QM2 for dinner would be the same as the dress code in London during the day. Oddly enough, I would make the same recommendation for visiting Manhattan: tourists stand out like a sore thumb due to their attire and s l o w pace in walking.

Regards,

Salacia

Hi FoghornLeghorn. I found that people in London dress smartly. Just my personal suggestion, but if you don't want to stand out as a tourist, the dress code for smart casual on QM2 for dinner would be the same as the dress code in London during the day. Oddly enough, I would make the same recommendation for visiting Manhattan: tourists stand out like a sore thumb due to their attire and s l o w pace in walking.

Regards,

Salacia

I was asking about the weather to determine what type of jacket I would need, or if I needed one...

and

if anyone had used the jackets or vests with hidden pockets.

Oh sorry FoghornLeghorn. I meant no offence, just trying to spare you what happened to me when I visited London unaware of the local dress code. Please excuse me, and enjoy your excursion. Regards, S.

As someone from the London area,I would say April is often a very mixed month.For example this April was very warm and tee shirt weather but one week heavy rain.Other years has been chilly especially at night.I would bring layers plus a waterproof jacket with a hood.Most of this type brought here have inside pockets for your wallet ,keys etc

Enjoy your trip to London

As a Londoner, I can confidently say that you can never be sure what the weather will be doing at any given time. April could be very warm and dry, heavy rain or even snow. Of course, warm during the day could still be quite chilly at night.

See the photos on this link for snow in London in April:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7333310.stm

My suggestion would be to check the 10 day forecasts before leaving home, and also take lots of layers finishing with something waterproof, which can be added to or taken off to cover all eventualities.

I bought a Domke photographers jacket (this style is also known as a poacher's jacket) for travelling on the budget airlines - they don't weigh you or your clothes but you can get a huge amount into the jacket pockets - and have also found it useful during my vacations for carrying guide books and maps, bits of photographic equipment, passports, keys, etc.

Paul S

Thanks Violetta!

Thanks Paul - I won't be able to check the 10 days before as I'll already be on a TA from Florida to London. I will pack layers and get some kind of jacket with plenty of pockets.

Nippy - thanks - I promise :)

LOL Lord of the Seas

Layers is the answer as the temp could be anything from 45 deg F to 75 deg F. Currently (June) it is summer clothes for a few days and then almost winter clothes for a few days. At least London (south east) is generally the warmest part of England. Do not carry too much cash around with you. There are ATMs all over the place.

TIP: On no accouint say "fanny pack" out loud in Britain!

Oh you know... I just have to say.

Since we now code share with a lot of American Airlines flights, we now carry a lot of American passengers and I love them to bits... Fabulous bunch of people on the whole...

However, I had never heard "fanny pack" before until I was trying to get a lady to part with a rather large version of one so that her seat belt was accessible etc... Well, when she came out with the term "fanny pack"... That was it. I had to retreat to the galley and did not come back out again for about 10 minutes... I was in hysterics.

Every time I hear that name for it, I laugh... I just can't help it... :D

However, I would agree with my fellow London residents... April can be very unpredictable month in terms of climate. Layers are the way to go. You can go from a chilly morning to a very warm lunch time... Good comfortable shoes are a must, you will walk for miles when you get going...

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Regards,

Salacia

Rubbish.

Those at work may be in suits but normal people are not. Sorry to be blunt, but you are misleading people.

TIP: On no accouint say "fanny pack" out loud in Britain!

Here is another tip. You have a dessert with a name that would put most Americans over the top and it would be best not to ask for it while in the US. I would imagine you know what I am talking about!:)

Archived