Renewal of Vows...Too Soon???

This is a little long and I apologize, but I'm hoping some of you can offer me some advice.

I have our five-year anniversary cruise booked and I've been flirting with the idea of asking my husband if he would be willing to renew our vows. I know it seems ridiculous to renew your vows after only five years, but I actually started thinking about it for a couple of reasons.

1. For whatever reason, recently a lot of relatively young people we know who seemed healthy enough have died suddenly (some of them have been as young as mid-30s and others close to retirememt). All of these people talked about the things they wanted to do "when the had the time and money". Now the opportunity is gone forever:(. I don't have a guarantee of tomorrow-not even until the cruise, but this is something I would like to do. Why wait for the twenty-five year or even ten year anniversary?

2. I had originally wanted to get married on the cruise ship because cruising is a passion for my husband and I, but my father was very ill at the time and my mother didn't feel like he could make the trip. We got married in an outside garden with close friends and family. I know we made the right decision (my father passed away two months after our wedding and I'm so grateful to have the pictures of him there), but the longing for the cruise ship experience remains. Since I had to plan/arrange the event myself (this was a second marriage for both of us), it lost alot of it's romance and magic for me. It would have been nice to have someone else do all the footwork and to just enjoy the day. (Yes I want it to be all about me:p)

3. Without going into a lot of detail, my husband was so nervous when we got married that when the minister called my by the wrong name during the vows ("Anne" instead of "Lynne") my husband repeated exactly what he said (later he said "he TOLD me to repeat after him-I thought it was a practice or something:rolleyes:). So we joke that he actually married "Anne" and took her on his honeymoon and prefers her over me for, ahem, obvious reasons:eek: I would kind of like to do our vows over again and have him get my name right this time!

4. In my visions of getting married I was wearing a wine red dress (remember...second marriage;)). He wanted me to wear a blue dress-so I wore a caribbean blue dress. I still want the wine red ball gown.

What haven't I thought of? Other than the expense (which is really insignificant to me considering what I would get for the money) I guess the real question is--is there any reason I shouldn't renew my vows after only five years:confused: Any advice would be appreciated (just please be nice!)

This is a little long and I apologize, but I'm hoping some of you can offer me some advice.

I have our five-year anniversary cruise booked and I've been flirting with the idea of asking my husband if he would be willing to renew our vows. I know it seems ridiculous to renew your vows after only five years, but I actually started thinking about it for a couple of reasons.

1. For whatever reason, recently a lot of relatively young people we know who seemed healthy enough have died suddenly (some of them have been as young as mid-30s and others close to retirememt). All of these people talked about the things they wanted to do "when the had the time and money". Now the opportunity is gone forever:(. I don't have a guarantee of tomorrow-not even until the cruise, but this is something I would like to do. Why wait for the twenty-five year or even ten year anniversary?

2. I had originally wanted to get married on the cruise ship because cruising is a passion for my husband and I, but my father was very ill at the time and my mother didn't feel like he could make the trip. We got married in an outside garden with close friends and family. I know we made the right decision (my father passed away two months after our wedding and I'm so grateful to have the pictures of him there), but the longing for the cruise ship experience remains. Since I had to plan/arrange the event myself (this was a second marriage for both of us), it lost alot of it's romance and magic for me. It would have been nice to have someone else do all the footwork and to just enjoy the day. (Yes I want it to be all about me:p)

3. Without going into a lot of detail, my husband was so nervous when we got married that when the minister called my by the wrong name during the vows ("Anne" instead of "Lynne") my husband repeated exactly what he said (later he said "he TOLD me to repeat after him-I thought it was a practice or something:rolleyes:). So we joke that he actually married "Anne" and took her on his honeymoon and prefers her over me for, ahem, obvious reasons:eek: I would kind of like to do our vows over again and have him get my name right this time!

4. In my visions of getting married I was wearing a wine red dress (remember...second marriage;)). He wanted me to wear a blue dress-so I wore a caribbean blue dress. I still want the wine red ball gown.

What haven't I thought of? Other than the expense (which is really insignificant to me considering what I would get for the money) I guess the real question is--is there any reason I shouldn't renew my vows after only five years:confused: Any advice would be appreciated (just please be nice!)

I don't think it's ever too early. A couple I know is in the early 30s and they are renewing their vows this year and it's only been 10 years for them.

If it makes you happy, I say do it!!!!!

Go for it! You seem to have a lot of very valid reasons- and you don't even need them. If this is something that would make you and your husband happy, I can't think of a reason why you should wait. Happy planning!

I say GO FOR IT! I've heard of people renewing their vows after a year...5 years is not too soon! I say if it's what you want to do, you should do it.

I totally agree with the no guarantee in life, you should do what makes you happy before your "later" becomes "never".

I say, enjoy your renewal, with it being EXACTLY how you want it, dress and all!

Absolutely, do it! We renewed our vows on a 10 day Celebrity Century cruise this past March and it was so meaningful and romantic. It was just the two of us but we went all out. I wore a silver strapless gown and my DH a tux. We had a beautiful ceremony performed by the captain, a gorgeous cake and champagne. I had my flowers made and took them with me.

IMG_0020.jpg.d411f1e32dd03cf8ca795e323ceeff28.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg.ad642950465c30777abcdda65115bce7.jpg

1032677001_IMG_0002(2).jpg.279265c9b0db88c85ee4fa94852244da.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg.25d427f5583dbe04c62ce8fca8599e77.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg.efb6e4ebbd80efb163bcced2ceb1a3ca.jpg

Absolutely, do it! We renewed our vows on a 10 day Celebrity Century cruise this past March and it was so meaningful and romantic. It was just the two of us but we went all out. I wore a silver strapless gown and my DH a tux. We had a beautiful ceremony performed by the captain, a gorgeous cake and champagne. I had my flowers made and took them with me.

Gorgeous!!! You looked so happy, fabulous dress and what a gorgeous cake and bouquet.

our turn- your pictures are just beautiful!

Thank you, I can't tell you how much the cruise and renewal meant to us. Two years ago I was in a horrific car accident that I should not have survive. None of us have any guarentees for tomorrow.

Gorgeous!!! You looked so happy, fabulous dress and what a gorgeous cake and bouquet.

Thanks, TNGALOHA. It was such a great day, I am very fortunate to be married to such a wonderful guy! I loved my cake and flowers. Alexis Grace Designs did them both. I was really glad I did that because the flowers the ship provided were awlful.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our 25th Anniversary Cruise and did the vow renewal package. It was wonderful, worth every penny! I will post a review after I get back in the swing. I have to say our cake was amazing and better than any wedding cake I have ever had on land!

There is every reason to do it, and no reason not to! I think it would be great for you guys.

This was the answer I was going to give. I say go for it. I know a couple who were highschool sweethearts, broke up and just got married last year after finding eachother on facebook last year. They plan on renewing their vows 29 times for all the years they lost being apart. I think it is sweet. I don't think you can ever go wrong telling the one you love how much you love them!!!:D

• 1 month later...

We sail on Aug. 4th and will be renewing our vows. It is also our 5th wedding anniversary. For us, we don't see it as "renewing" our commitment, but more as a celebration of what we have accomplished in the last 5 years.

Most of the original wedding party will be cruising with us, along with a new flower girl, our 3 year old daughter!!

My wife is almost as excited for this as for our wedding. I thought that maybe it was a little too "soon", but in the end, YOU can do whatever makes YOU happy.

Life is too short and a lot of things can happen, we are having a moment of silence on the deck for my wife's grandparents and a very good friend of mine, who were at our wedding, but have since passed on.

So go all out!!!!!! Do it!!!! Have a ball!!!!!!!

DO IT!!!! There is no right or wrong way to love someone, and all the "old school" traditions with marriage and family have gone out the window (IMO). If it makes you happy, and you can get hubby to agree (and if he knows you really want it he should), go for it :D

I really think you should go for it. We eloped to st Thomas. Had a big vow renewal on our 5th anniversary. Also have been married three times at the wedding church in Cana, Isreal, at my home church in illinois, On the Grand Princess "the love Boat..." in our living room for 15 years, The missisippi Queen. This year for our 20th we went back to St Thomas and were remarried by good friends at the spot we were married and then took our Kids to Las Vegas and had a ceremony at Graceland Wedding chapel with Elvis Officiating.

Its always good to be reminded of what a marriage is all about!!

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise. Our vow renewal ceremony was held on Sunday in the library of the Destiny. From the look of joy on my wife and daughter's faces...it was the best $400 I have ever spent!!!! The captain and coordinator did a wonderful job. It was really a magical moment and beautiful ceremony. If I had any idea it would be this great, we would have saved the $20k we spent on our wedding 5 years ago and just done something on the ship.

Looking foward to doing again in another 5 years...... or maybe we will just do it every year!!!!!:D

Archived