Solstice Live/First-Timer Reports/Pix’s: Italy/Croatian June 7-19

TLCOhio

Hi Terry, thanks for your reply. I am very interested in touring the cities, shops, museums, and would love some feedback on any good restaurants you could recommend in Barcelona. I would also like to see some of the countryside if our tour permits. My travelling companions are also interested in the same types of things so it will make it pretty easy to go on private tours in the various ports. How far in advance should we be booking these tours. Also, can you recommend any good hotels in Barcelona that are in a good location for site-seeing, restaurants, shopping, etc. Looking forward to any recommendations you might have regarding this. By the way, your pictures are wonderful. Thanks. Esther from Winnipeg, Canada.

THANKS! Appreciate the kind comments on my pictures. Glad to know you're a person of such class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make such comments. Here's some more on your questions.

Here are the two different hotels where we stayed. To us, location was very important in being easy and handy for the nearby historic places such as the main Cathedral and great Las Rambla, etc.

We had been in Barcelona in 1998 and stayed at the Hotel Regincia Colon that is super convenient and is right around the corner from the famed, 700-year-old-plus Cathedral in this hip and historic town. Before our last June cruise, we stayed there again and it worked out super very well, again. Its location is also very handy to La Rambla, other key attractions, catching the hop-on, hop-off bus, etc. This hotel website:

http://www.hotelregenciacolon.com

After our cruise, we wanted to sample a little different area and flavor for this charming town. I did some searching with Hotels.com and a couple of these other search site. We wanted both nice and at a good price. We got the four-star rated Hotel Onix Liceo. It is a botique hotel in a wonderfully restored old townhouse at Nou De La Rambla, 36 Barcelona, 08001. Their website is:

http://www.hotelonixliceo.com/en

This hotel was right up the street from the recently re-opened and restored Gaudi's Palau Guell (wonderful to tour and see!!) and 300 metres from Liceo Metro Station on Barcelona's Ramblas. This stylish hotel offers a sun terrace, lots of nice design features that blend traditional with modern art in its public spaces.

BOTTOM-LINE: There is no one perfect hotel for everyone in Barcelona. You have hundreds of good to very good options to consider. Prices will vary much from day-to-day depending on advance bookings, how busy will be this city, etc. Barcelona is now the world's fourth busiest cruise port, trailing only the traditional leaders in Florida. This town has a great, fairly handy and easy to use airport that is reasonable close to the main downtown. Unlike Rome and its cruise port, everything is close and handy in Barcelona. For your hotel choice, much depends on timing, pricing and what you most want to be near. Location is very important to save time and make it easier and quick to walk around and experience this great city. I would book something early, be covered. Then check back and see what other options become available at a better price, location. Consider your priorities and needs.

Before our cruise near our first hotel we did the Barcelona Tapas place named Neyras that we enjoyed so much. They are in the neighborhood of Sant Pere Santa Caterina i la Ribera with an address of Laietana, 41, 08003 Barcelona, Spain and their phone is +34 933024647. You can see more detailed reviews at:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187497-d751585-Reviews-Neyras-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

After our cruise in Barcelona on a Sunday night we did dining out at Les Quinze Nity in the La Place Reial just off of the La Rambla. Great meal and value at this place. This location is a popular square that is a social focal point especially at night. It was filled, even on a Sunday night, with Barcelonian's and tourists soaking up the atmosphere and enjoying some food or drinks at one of the many restaurants or bars that surround this interesting square.

There is also the famed Mercat La Boqueria. We had breakfast there before starting our cruise. WOW!!! It is easy to see why this popular Boqueria Market is not to be missed. It has a wide range of fresh meats, cheeses, produce and delicious food options to enjoy. They had beautifully-stocked fruit stands, busy breakfast stands and other places to sit down and eat.

Do these give you more ideas? Added questions and reactions?

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Here is a picture of the exterior from our four-star rated Hotel Onix Liceo. It is right near Palau Guell and the La Rambla, key town market, etc. First is the exterior on this hotel. Its interior lobby is very interesting with old architectural elements and overlooks an open court area with lap pool, etc.:

BarcelonaHotelOnixFront.jpg

From our table having lunch near the beach on a Sunday, this was our view. Lots of outdoor dining places along this scenic area.:

BarcelBeachLunchView.jpg

Our first night in Barcelona, included wonderful tapas and a spectacular paella in a small dining place near our hotel. Here is the lady preparing some of the food.:

BarcelFoodPrepTapas.jpg

Thanks Terry for the great information regarding where to stay in Barcelona, and what the city has to offer by way of restaurants, sites to see, etc. I am really looking forward to enjoying all the sites of Barcelona as well as the cruise, of course. Esther from Winnipeg, Canada :)

Thanks Terry for the great information regarding where to stay in Barcelona, and what the city has to offer by way of restaurants, sites to see, etc. I am really looking forward to enjoying all the sites of Barcelona as well as the cruise, of course. Esther from Winnipeg, Canada :)

Appreciate, Esther, your nice comments and follow-up. Good luck on your upcoming cruise and visiting this wonderful city. YES, Barcelona is so exciting and has many great options to consider, see and do. The more time you spend there, the better you love its charm, history, architecture and beauty.

One thing you will not see in Barcelona is the below view from our Solstice as we were getting ready to do our sail-away on June 7.

We are now over 63,500 views and appreciate those who have tuned-in, made comments, asked questions, etc. Keep it coming!! Happy to be of help for those suffering through the winter and planning for the spring, summer Med trips, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

As we did our sail-away on the Solstice in Barcelona, this was the view of our next-door docking neighbor, a Costa ship with their unique yellow "C" stack. Just recently, I looked more closely at this picture to see that it is the now infamous Concordia that, sadly, will not be sailing out of Barcelona any more. As you can see, it was clearly a nice-looking ship. Such a tragedy! In the background of my picture, you can see the unique curved shaped of the fairly new W Hotel that is located overlooking the main Barcelona beach area.:

BarcelCostaConcordiaInPort.jpg

Appreciate those who continue to "drop by" and view this posting. Total views should hit around 65,000 in a few days. On the Italian board, there was a posting to an earlier thread on Venice and its super wonders.

Since Venice is one of the key stop for many in their Med cruising, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around".

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

A comment was made about how lots of things in and around St. Mark's Basilica were "stolen". True! But I would choose to use the term "liberated" or re-cyled as a better way to say or spin that method for getting these items that are now treasures of Venice. These "gatherings" started when Venetian merchants stole the supposed relics or remains of Mark the Evangelist from Alexandria. Its decorations have changed and improved significantly over time. After the Basilica was consecrated in 1094, the changes in succeeding centuries, especially the fourteenth, all contributed to its style and unique exterior decorations. Seldom did a Venetian ship return from the Orient without bringing a column, capitals or friezes, taken from some ancient building, to add to the fabric of the basilica. Many of these items came from Istanbul.

These four horses of St. Mark's were installed on the Basilica around 1254. They date to "Classical Antiquity" as they once adorned the Arch of Trajan. The horses were long displayed at the Hippodrome of Constantinople and in 1204 the Doge sent them back to Venice as part of the loot taken from Constantinople in the Fourth Crusade. They were also taken to Paris by Napoleon in 1797 but returned to Venice in 1815. After a long restoration, they have been kept in St. Mark’s Museum (inside the Basilica on the second floor). The four horses currently on the facade of the cathedral are bronze replicas.

Below are some pictures that I had not previously posted on this thread about Venice and St. Mark's.

Here are a series of added architectural details from famed St. Mark’s Basilica. This includes below, the front top over the main entrance with the gold lion on a blue design background, details on the various marble columns on the front, the figure of Christ at the top of main building, a mosaic religious piece on the second floor front area, inside the church as an older priest performs mass in a side chapel and highlights from the top of the building. Lots of unique art and design here.:

VeniceStMarksGoldLionOnBlue.jpg

VeniceStMarksColumnsDetails.jpg

VeniceStMarksTopChurchFigure.jpg

VeniceStMarksMosaicDetails.jpg

VeniceStMarksSideChapelPriest.jpg

VeniceStMarksFrontTopHilights.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Terry what fabulous photo's and it is so refreshing to find someone as enthusiastic as you.

We are going to be 1st time cruisers on the "Solstice" in September this year, this thread has been inspiring and informative beyond our wildest dreams.

We cannot thank you enough.

Irene & Shaun

Hello Terry what fabulous photo's and it is so refreshing to find someone as enthusiastic as you. We are going to be 1st time cruisers on the "Solstice" in September this year, this thread has been inspiring and informative beyond our wildest dreams. We cannot thank you enough. Irene & Shaun

Appreciate the super nice comments from our new Scotland friends. THANKS, Irene & Shaun!

Good luck on your September Solstice sailing. Let me know any added questions as you do your planning. Barcelona is a super city and your cruise will have many great ports and options.

This posting is now over 67,000 views. Glad many have tuned in and made nice comments, raised good questions, etc. Keep it coming!! After the latest "mess" with Costa in the Indian Ocean, that makes my wife more concerned on doing more sailing, especially in big water areas at a sizable distance from shore such as has happened off of the Africa coast. Not good for Costa and/or their parent Carnival company.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

• 3 weeks later...

Am working on being better with my photos for upcoming travels and cruises. See what's next below!

From attending yesterday this National Geographic Traveler photography seminar titled: “A Passion for Travel: Photos That Tell the Story” at the Moore College of Art and Design on Logan Circle in Philadelphia, here are some of my reactions from this program:

Both speakers were very energetic, creative and encouraging people to “think outside of the box”. Both dislike boring, average pictures that do not tell a story, nor have that important human link.

Aaron Huey focused on his secrets for capturing the spirit of a place and bringing back images of significance. Huey has done 25 features for the National Geographic magazines with a major cover story coming later this summer on his time at the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota, home of the Lakota Sioux. He has been in war zones, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Siberia, etc. After getting a BFA degree in painting, he had not taken any photography courses. He got his start with magazine photography after doing a 3,349 mile, solo walk across America (with his dog Cosmo) that lasted 154 days. He used that project to pitch and get the attention at National Geographic. Huey, age 36, is also a contributing editor for Harper's Magazine and has had his photos appearing in Smithsonian, National Geographic, New Yorker, and New York Times. He likes pictures that show more “layers of life”. He is now in the middle of a one-year Knight Fellowship at Stanford University. At lunch with a small group of us, he went into detail on the challenges for earning a living with this type of work and how to do it well, requires such a large commitment of time, energy and focus. Being this type of commercial photographer and having a family is very hard.

Catherine Karnow grew up for her first 12 years in Hong Kong. Her father was a key Washington Post, Time, etc. journalist in Asia and later won a Pulitzer Prize as a book author and Emmy Awards for a PBS history on Vietnam. She started in photography at age 15, went to college at Brown and has been at it for 25 years. Since 1999, she has worked with National Geographic. She has being doing photo visits to Vietnam for 20 years. In 1994, she was the only non-Vietnamese photojournalist to accompany General Giap on his historic first return to the northern Vietnam highlands encampment from which he plotted the 1954 defeat of the French at Dien Bien Phu. She gained unprecedented access to Britain's Prince Charles for her 2006 National Geographic feature, "Not Your Typical Radical." Her assignment range has been wide: Australian Aborigines to Bombay film stars to Connecticut high society to Albanian farm family. Last week, she was doing a food photo project, including with a famous chef in Montreal.

BOTH of the speakers/presenters were super, super wonderful. Lots of excellent details and substances that matched and fit so well the advertised topics and subject outline.

They had so many great visuals to illustrate their key learning points, their experiences, etc. They answered lots and lots of questions during the Q&A period, at lunch, on breaks, etc. They were very giving, open and helpful. No BS. Lots of short, practical items.

They didn't get carried away with too much of the techno-talk trying to lord complexities over the audience and/or impress themselves with f-stops and mega white balances chatter. They were honest in admitting that they use lots of auto features on today's digital cameras. Good, straightforward, solid info on doing images that communicate human stories and impacts.

They worked well together, had good senses of humor, etc. They are both "WINNERS!" from what they have done and how they presented it all. I sent in a rating saying that I gave both of them "BEST OF THE BEST" awards.

Below are a few photos showing them in action with some of their pictures on the large screen in the background. I typed up lots of notes on my laptop as they were sharing and presenting. Will try to share more and if it is of interest.

We are narrowing down our New Zealand and Australia early 2014 options. Have got a booking made and am waiting to see what Celebrity and couple of other lines will have to offer during that early 2014 period.

Here are National Geographic photographers Aaron Huey and Catherine Karnow making part of their presentations in Philadelphia on March 18.:

NGPhotoSchool1TwoInFront.jpg

Catherine Karnow is speaking with in the background a large photograph that is one of her most famous from her visits over a twenty-year period in Vietnam. In this photo are two children left in Vietnam who fathers had been U.S. soldiers there. Her photo story was about how the kids were dealing with those impacts affecting their lives after the military left and the war ended.:

NGPhotoCatherineSpeaking.jpg

Aaron Huey speaks with one of his pictures from the Peru mountains with some of the steps in the Machu Picchu area showing on the background screen.:

NGPhotoAaronMtsStepsUp.jpg

As they finished up their all-day program, they showed how various on-location pictures would be edited and then appear as a finished product in magazines such as National Geographic Traveler. Lots of interesting visuals, people, stories and places!!:

NGPhotoPlacesTwoSpeaking.jpg

Well, TLCOhio, all I can say is "thank you" for this post. Going on our first ever cruise with Celebrity (Solstice) in June for the 12 night Mediterranean out of Barcelona. I am even more excited now that I was originally - your great eye-candy photographs, excellent commentary and advice - so ready for this vacation! Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...
Well, TLCOhio, all I can say is "thank you" for this post. Going on our first ever cruise with Celebrity (Solstice) in June for the 12 night Mediterranean out of Barcelona. I am even more excited now that I was originally - your great eye-candy photographs, excellent commentary and advice - so ready for this vacation! Keep up the good work!

Appreciate your super nice and kind comments on my postings. Good luck on your upcoming June Solstice cruise out of Barcelona. Your cruise will have two of the ports we visited last June (Rome and Naples), but you will also visit lots of other great places. While doing a June 2006 cruise, we enjoyed lots in Mykonos, Ephesus (Kusadasi) and Athens. Santorini is on our future, must-see list. Below are just a few of my pictures from those three very interesting and historic places.

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

For those who have not yet visited Greece, the good news is that the wonderful Plaka is right handy and next door to the famed Acropolis area. That makes things so much easier. On going up the hill, be careful as the stone steps can be slick in areas. And you will be looking up and forgetting to watch where and how you are stepping. It's well worth the effort getting there to the top. It is amazing history and architecture!! Also, we had a private guide to help us on this spectacular site. It's not cheap, but it was well worth it to know more on what you are seeing and why it is so important. Below are a few of my visual sample to get people excited about your upcoming visit.

Don't be shy! Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

Here’s a sampling of the narrow flowered street in Mykonos in the Greek Isles with its many shops. The streets were made so narrow in order to fend off pirate attackers. It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians. With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar. During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks. Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

This harbor view in Mykonos shows one of the charming windmills. From as early as the 16th century, these are one of the most recognized landmarks of Mykonos. The island is 33 square miles in size and has a population of 9,300, mostly in its main village.:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus, along the Turkish Coast, was Rome's capital of Asia Minor. The history here is real and totally amazing!:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

At Ephesus along the Turkish Coast, here is the famed outdoor theater that hosted Saint Paul preaching, plus rock stars, etc. At this site in the 1st century AD, the Apostle Paul spent over three years in Ephesus preaching the Gospel. This included a sermon condemning pagan worship in this theater:

Amphitheatre.jpg

On Acropolis hill with our very knowledgeable private guide we lined up at the site she helped us appreciate all of the history and architectural details there at this famed site going back 700 years before Christ.:

OnAcrop.jpg

Outdoor dining in the Plaka in the heart of Athens’ historic area. Lots of music and fun, shopping, music, plus good food. Don't miss this part of Athens!!:

PlakaDining.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

• 4 weeks later...
very nice pix

PathfinderEss: Thanks for posting and thanks for all the great pictures.

Codidy: Wow wow wow!!! Beautiful photo's' date=' your dedication and passion are a joy for us fellow travellers. Thank you. [/quote']

Appreciate much the nice and kind comments from our two different friends with such good taste from California. Plus, from our friend, Codidy, from sunny Australia! We are coming "down under" in your direction. Have just booked another "adventure". It will be a first for this part of the world. It will be on the Celebrity Solstice, again! This time, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, for Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand. Have to wait until early 2014 as my wife's school schedule had made travel at this time not possible. After her retirement in June, 2013, we'll have more flexibility for travel timing and places. Also have China and SE Asia on the future "bucket lists".

Am getting ready to post some added items on the Italy boards about some of the many other and super, wonderful churches in Venice. Below are just a couple of samples. Will post more here as I get it all pull together. There is much more for great history and architecture in Venice than just St. Mark's.

We are nearly at 75,000 views for this live/blog. It's been fun sharing. THANKS to those who have tune-in, asked questions, made comments! Keep it coming!! Don't be shy.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 66,910 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

As we sailed in, here is one of the churches we saw along the Giudecca canal after passing San Marco Piazza. It is the Santa Maria del Rosario or St Mary of the Rosary. It is commonly known as I Gesuati and is an 18th century Dominican church in the Dorsoduro. The Dominicans built to celebrate the glories of their order and to encourage devotion to the rosary. Built in a classical style with Rococo decoration, it is exceptional preserved in its original form and with key decoration intact. The architecture and almost all the sculpture and paintings were created within the same thirty year between starting in 1725 and consecrated in 1743. To support the weight of the facade, 270 piles had to be driven into the soil. Giant Corinthian pillars support a heavy triangular pediment. The main entrance door is surmounted by a curved pediment, is surrounded by four niches with large statues of the four cardinal virtues of Prudence, Justice, Fortitude and Temperance. The smaller, white stone-faced church that is shown on the left is Sta Maria della Visitazione that goes back its construction starting in 1493.:

VeniceRosaryChurchCanalTigher.jpg

San Barnaba is on a campo or square in Venice and is a neighborhood church. It was featured in numerous films including Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, serving as the exterior of a library in the famed movie. The original, early medieval church of St. Barnabas was built in 809 by the Adorni family. This church was destroyed by fire in 1105, rebuilt by local parishioners and finally consecrated in 1350. Falling down from age, it was completely renovated in Neoclassical style in 1776. The church's façade from Istrian white marble is designed as Greek temple front with Corinthian style columns and triangular pediment.

VeniceSanBarnabaCampo.jpg

VeniceSanBarnabaChurchIndJones.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Your photos are always good for increasing our travel excitement. Have you taken pictures in Capri? Thanks.

YES! Have a number of visuals from 1999 when we visited Capri, etc., during a four-day land visit in this area with our family. Will post more later today or tonight. Backed up on some work projects right now.

THANKS for your nice comments and asking! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Your photos are always good for increasing our travel excitement. Have you taken pictures in Capri? Thanks.

For our western Canada friend, here are some Capri visuals from when we visited this wonderful island in 1989. We did a total of four days in the area, staying near Sorrento. Lots and lots to see in this super great area. That's what makes docking in Naples or tendering at Sorrento so challenging. You can't see it "ALL" in such a short time. That's one of the big challenges on many cruises that only allow eight to ten hours in such ports that are blessed with so many interesting and historic options.

Glad you asked for some of the nice places where we have been fortunate to have visited. Keep those good questions rolling!

On Capri, we are departing on a smaller boat to visit the famed Blue Grotto. It is a very charming island with much to see and do. The second picture shows the larger boats having people transferred to smaller ones to go inside the grotto.:

CapriDeparting.jpg

CapriSeeingBlueHole.jpg

As we approached Capri, here is one of the large rock formations with a boat shown circling the island:

CapriRock2.jpg

Here are more sights and sights on and around Capri:

CapriHarborMountains.jpg

CapriRoofMountainView.jpg

CapriHarborApproachwBoatOut.jpg

Thanks Terry, as you know we are heading there soon and I needed to whet my appetite!

Glad I was able to "whet your appetite!" in a low-calorie, low-fat manner. Enjoy your cruise. It's good to keep that excitement building about your upcoming cruise.

Appreciate much the nice and kind comments from our two different friends with such good taste from California. Plus, from our friend, Codidy, from sunny Australia! We are coming "down under" in your direction. Have just booked another "adventure". It will be a first for this part of the world. It will be on the Celebrity Solstice, again! This time, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, for Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand. Have to wait until early 2014 as my wife's school schedule had made travel at this time not possible. After her retirement in June, 2013, we'll have more flexibility for travel timing and places. Also have China and SE Asia on the future "bucket lists".

Am getting ready to post some added items on the Italy boards about some of the many other and super, wonderful churches in Venice. Below are just a couple of samples. Will post more here as I get it all pull together. There is much more for great history and architecture in Venice than just St. Mark's.

We are nearly at 75,000 views for this live/blog. It's been fun sharing. THANKS to those who have tune-in, asked questions, made comments! Keep it coming!! Don't be shy.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 66,910 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

As we sailed in, here is one of the churches we saw along the Giudecca canal after passing San Marco Piazza. It is the Santa Maria del Rosario or St Mary of the Rosary. It is commonly known as I Gesuati and is an 18th century Dominican church in the Dorsoduro. The Dominicans built to celebrate the glories of their order and to encourage devotion to the rosary. Built in a classical style with Rococo decoration, it is exceptional preserved in its original form and with key decoration intact. The architecture and almost all the sculpture and paintings were created within the same thirty year between starting in 1725 and consecrated in 1743. To support the weight of the facade, 270 piles had to be driven into the soil. Giant Corinthian pillars support a heavy triangular pediment. The main entrance door is surmounted by a curved pediment, is surrounded by four niches with large statues of the four cardinal virtues of Prudence, Justice, Fortitude and Temperance. The smaller, white stone-faced church that is shown on the left is Sta Maria della Visitazione that goes back its construction starting in 1493.:

VeniceRosaryChurchCanalTigher.jpg

San Barnaba is on a campo or square in Venice and is a neighborhood church. It was featured in numerous films including Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, serving as the exterior of a library in the famed movie. The original, early medieval church of St. Barnabas was built in 809 by the Adorni family. This church was destroyed by fire in 1105, rebuilt by local parishioners and finally consecrated in 1350. Falling down from age, it was completely renovated in Neoclassical style in 1776. The church's façade from Istrian white marble is designed as Greek temple front with Corinthian style columns and triangular pediment.

VeniceSanBarnabaCampo.jpg

VeniceSanBarnabaChurchIndJones.jpg

Enjoy planning your trip "down under". Hopefully you'll have the luxury of time, if not the 2013 but future to spend some time exploring our dramatically varied landscapes. From the "Red centre" to the glorious Barrier Reef to our beautiful coastal and rural regions. Such a delight to have fellow travellers make their way to Australia. The cruising industry is going ahead in leaps and bounds and we welcome you all with a big "G'day"

Enjoy planning your trip "down under". Hopefully you'll have the luxury of time, if not the 2013 but future to spend some time exploring our dramatically varied landscapes. From the "Red centre" to the glorious Barrier Reef to our beautiful coastal and rural regions. Such a delight to have fellow travellers make their way to Australia. The cruising industry is going ahead in leaps and bounds and we welcome you all with a big "G'day"

YES!! Am enjoying the researching and planning for visiting "down under" to your home country of Australia. It (and New Zealand) has long been on our bucket list, but as January-February is a peak time to visit there, we had to wait until after my wife retires from her school work. These boards are very helpful and people are very sharing. For some areas, such as the "Red centre", your summer heat limits a little what we can and will do there. I'm still working, so there are also time away and budget limits. Just as with the United States and Europe, you cannot see it "ALL" in just one, initial visit.

I plan to do a live/blog for this visit and cruise. This one from last June is nearly at 76,000 views and I appreciate that interest, those who comment, ask questions, etc. Look forward to the learning process for Austr. and NZ. I love learning much more on all of the history, culture and background for these places we visit. We've already had great interest on our cruise roll call. You can go there and give us your tips, suggestions and secrets for what you suggest and like so much in your home country. The roll call is at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1614754

How did you find the private drivers for the various ports? Any referrals ? We are doing this cruise May 23rd. Thanks

Welcome to these Cruise Critic boards. Here are a couple of suggestions:

1. Go to the roll call for your specific cruise. It is at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1396741

There has been lots and lots of activities by many, many people on your cruise doing postings there. Many have already set-up private tours and you might be able to join up with some tours for those who have previously posted there.

2. For the stops near Pisa and at Naples, we set-up a private tour through RomeInLimo. You can Google their name to contact them and/or you'll see people using them on that roll call for your cruise.

Let me know any other questions.

Here are a couple of other suggestions to help you and other future travelers. FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see many different items on ports you would visit and/or at the board for each separate cruise line in planning for your upcoming cruise. SECOND, do a search on these boards by each city and you will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop.

Can you give some insight on what to do in Capri? We have had some unfortunate events happen lately, car accidents and medical expenses 2 weeks ago that have cut into our cruise budget for the end of this month.

Therefore we are trying to see where we can cut costs. What is there to do in Capri? Is it worth the money in ferries to go for a couple hours? We are doing a Rome In Limo tour earlier in Pompeii and Sorrento, they drop us off at Capri. ANy info would be great, thanks!

Can you give some insight on what to do in Capri? We have had some unfortunate events happen lately, car accidents and medical expenses 2 weeks ago that have cut into our cruise budget for the end of this month. Therefore we are trying to see where we can cut costs. What is there to do in Capri? Is it worth the money in ferries to go for a couple hours? We are doing a Rome In Limo tour earlier in Pompeii and Sorrento, they drop us off at Capri. ANy info would be great, thanks!

Sorry to hear about those medical challenges. On saving budget, one way to save money is to cut back on what you do. BUT, on these types of cruise in these great Med ports, saving money means doing and seeing less. LESS?? Given ALL of the money you will have invested in and spent on this cruise, going to Paris, airfare, etc., you hate to pinch pennies too much as it can significantly lessen your experiences, fun, sights, etc., on such a great trip. Trade-offs??!! What you might save by cutting back now will be a very small portion of the TOTAL COST for this entire trip.

On Capri, trying to get there . . . AND BACK . . . after Pompeii and Sorrento can be challenging. It takes time by boat getting to Capri and back. What's to do there? A lot of it, is walking around, going up the hill, seeing the sights, exploring the various and interesting shops, etc., etc. Then, there is the famed grotto that takes more time to get there, change to the smaller boats, enter the unique lighted "cave", change boats again, get back to the main harbor, etc.

Personally, from our experiences on a 1999 trip by land and four days in this area, plus this June 2011 visit here, I would work in some time to see Positano and/or a portion of the Amalfi Coast rather than trying to do Capri as a part of what you have scheduled with RomeInLimo. That will work better with your logistics and travel "flow". Sorrento is very nice, but Positano and the Amalfi Coast is super spectacular!! And, easier to get there and back, in a time-efficient manner. Love Capri, but it's the time to get there and back. Just to zip there and back too quickly might not work that well for attempting to go to Capri.

Terry, you are such a wonderful ambassador for X and CC alike. I want you to know that your posts and photos inspired my first cruise on X, which my husband and I are taking at the end of June. When my husband came home this weekend and told me "I have two weeks vacation accrued that I need to use or lose" well---I knew exactly what to do with it! Your magnificent photo of Kotor has been floating around in my head for over a year now. We looked up sailing dates for Solstice this summer and lo and behold everything fit. Great prices for a guarantee CC cabin, and exactly the week we wanted. So now we get to go on "your" very cruise! Thanks a million for the inspiration that got us there. :D