Recs with 9 and 12 year old

We will be sailing on the Carnival Liberty next April 28- to HMC, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk. Looking for ideas for tours or things to do with a 9 and 12 year old. It's a fair bit away, but it may also be possible to get a bigger group together if we end up with an active roll call. Looking for suggestions. We have never snorkeled yet, but will try this summer (in Hawaii), but do not think DS (9) will go in the water. We picked a both that mixed up sight seeing/dolphin watching/learning with snorkeling. He doesn't like heights, getting his face wet or really loud noises. So we would want to do something that everyone could enjoy. Thanks

Coral World on St Thomas may work for him. They have several interactive exhibits/presentations where everybody gets to touch the animals and listen to a live person tell you all about the animals. They have a shark presentation and others that I can't quite remember. Lots of iguanas on the property.

Right next to Coral World is Coki Beach which is a snorkeler's haven, but someone who doesn't snorkel can just play in the shallow water. There are always lots of kids there.

What does your 9 year old enjoy? The kayak guides with VI Eco Tours are very good. They could keep him confined in the shallow water looking for whatever while the rest of the group snorkels. Just let them know in advance in case they need to bring in an extra guide.

There's always The Butterfly Farm, too. I think they have a bird show, too, which is really fun. No heights. No face in the water. No loud noises.

Thanks. He does want to try kayaking. The butterfly farm may be a little slow for him. He is quite active and I'm sure would like to get out and around. He like hockey, basketball, soccer, boats, cars. He goes to his room when we vacuum or play loud music but he did like the monster truck show (a smaller one and we had to cover his ears). I should also see what the options with the Fury are, is it a set tour?

I think somebody has a mini-boat excursion (or maybe I'm getting my islands mixed up!). Let me look for the info and get back to you one way or another. I think one of the hotels offers it.

You can arrange a private day sail (some do 1/2 day), they hold only 6 people. Spend some time in the water snorkeling or swimming ( he doesn't have to go in the water;)). Some will pick up where the ship docks, some you need to do a cab ride to where their sailboat docks:eek:. We did one two years ago just me DH and DD were on the boat. This summer DD and I are doing the same one when we do our girls only cruise (22 more days but whose counting)

They reopened the butterfly farm with new owners. Includes bird show now.

Wow! That must have been REAL recently, because I was out on their web site the last week of May looking for information on visiting it this September. Good to hear they are back in business.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, I've been away for a few weeks. I was looking into St. John. Just wondering if people go there on their own or through a private or ship excursion. I'd be ok doing on our own, though a little worried about the fact that taxi prices are per person. Is Trunk Bay the best place to go in St. John? We might also consider one of the tours with Godfrey or Sunny that does shopping/sightseeing/beach. I also read on another thread that people booked the Fury. Though we do get in too late to do their morning sail.

Editing to ask - I did look into the companies recommended above and was wondering what happens if the port gets cancelled as they require 24 hours notice. Also re the kayak, do you put one adult and one child per kayak?

With Sail Island Girl, you do a 50% deposit. I'm not sure what their policy is, but if that's one you are interested in, they'll answer your e-mail. St. Thomas is not one of those ports that gets missed often. (not the it won't ever happen)

Archived