Good Buys in Alaska

Maureenxx

The shop I purchased the ulu with hand carved handle is inside the only indoor mall type building right at the tender pier. My recollection is that as you enter the building it is on the side opposite the water. The items were in a glass locked case. Because we were the last ship in port for the season all the ulus in the case were half price.

Thanks rditton for the names of the shops in Ketchikan.

• 1 year later...

I get a set of wind chimes on most of our trips to put up on our back porch.

We'll be stopping in Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway. Anyone see or know of a store that would have a good selection of wind chimes? Thanks:)

My favorite Alaskan souveniers are jewelry and art prints. I have ancient walrus ivory earrings, hemetite and ivory necklace, a silver orca whale totem (we saw them from the ship the evening we left Ketchikan on that trip) pendant/pin that was locally crafted. I like the art prints and cards of Rie Munoz (Juneau) and Barbara Lavallee (also Juneau). If you look off the main streets at shops, there are many shops that sell goods from local residents.

Not interested in merely tourist souveniors. What are nice items to buy and where best to get them in Alaska. Interested in good quality crafts, art, food, etc. that would make a good memento of our trip to Alaska. Thanks for any recommendations of things you have found on your travels.

The ORIGINAL Ulu Knife that is made at the small facatory in Anchorage is a great souvenier/gift. Many are sold all over town but they are mostly made in China. Get the "real" one.

One of the very best native art shops I have visited anywhere is the Mt. Juneau Trading Post at 151 S. Franklin St., Juneau. I agree that Crazy Wolf in Ketchikan is also worth of a visit as is the Arctic Spirit Gallery also on Mission St.

Another great souvenir is tasteful gold nugget jewelery, over the years I have purchased a small nugget for DW's gold charm bracelet and more recently a larger gold nugget pendent....but for these you do need to shop and don't be afraid to negotiate.

In Skagway there's a quilting shop within easy walking distance. Lovely selection of Alaskan-themed fabrics, etc. if you have friends who quilt. The proprietor is very friendly and shipped home everything I bought in a flat-rate box and just tacked on the postage. One thing to remember for Alaskan trip is it's continental US so those flat-rate PO boxes can be used. I've mailed home all sorts of things for reasonable rate and also dirty clothes if I didn't want to send souvenirs. Also had a name of a shop where the ladies bring in hand-woven bracelets, etc. but have misplaced that. Drat!

Archived