If not Disney..then who? So confused.

PoppyMac

Okay, I just did a quick comparison:

Disney Fantasy (newest ship) - 7/28/12 - Western Caribbean itinerary - sails from Port Canaveral

cheapest inside room for 3 people (1 adult, 2 children 4/17)

$5239.48 (plus airfare)

Royal Caribbean - Freedom of the Seas (older) - 7/22/12 - Western Caribbean itinerary - sails from Port Canaveral

cheapest inside room for 3 people (1 adult, 2 children 4/17)

$3407.56 (plus airfare)

So, it's NOT double. It's more expensive yes, but not double. Fantasy is BRAND NEW -- Freedom is older.

Fantasy's staterooms are larger and offer a tub and shower.

Fantasy has the new AquaDuck water slide.

Just a week at a value resort in WDW with park tix and dining is $2950.60 for a week starting 7/28/12. Still need to add airfare.

Splitting a week in WDW and on DCL (or another cruiseline) is not going to get the OP to the Western Caribbean, although it may save money and deliver "the best of both worlds.

The OP only wants a balcony cabin

So, using your examples above;

Disney Fantasy = $7462.47

RCL Freedom OS = $4153.95

Carnival Legend (22.7.12) = $2591.29

That is a BIG difference

The OP only wants a balcony cabin

So, using your examples above;

Disney Fantasy = $7462.47

RCL Freedom OS = $4153.95

Carnival Legend (22.7.12) = $2591.29

That is a BIG difference

I'm not seeing Carnival Legend sailing from Port Canaveral -- I see Carnival Dream and the balcony comes up as $3054.57 -- and, while it's a western itinerary, it doesn't include the ports OP wants.

However, it does come out to:

Fantasy (cabin 246 sq ft) - $7462

Freedom of the Seas (cabin 184 sq ft) - $4167

Carnival Dream (cabin 185 sq. ft) - $3054.57

The Legend sailing that you quoted is out of Tampa. I was trying to compare apples to apples. Port Canaveral is IMO more expensive to sail from.

Also, a standard inside room on Disney Fantasy is 169 sq ft -- not much smaller than the lowest category balcony on the other two ships. And Fantasy's inside has the "real time" porthole so inside cruisers can still see "outside".

I sound like I'm pushing the Disney cruise, but I'm really not. I'm just pointing out the other side of the coin for those who think the OP should compromise on HER (and her kids') dream vacation.

We are verified Disney freaks. We are annual passholders at WDW and have gone 3 times in the last year for 2 weeks each time. It

s a 24 hour drive one way for us.

So, why did we take our first cruise ever on Carnival? Pure and simply, the cost. I plugged in the dates we went and compared the different cruise lines and Carnival was literally 1/3 the cost of a Disney cruise for the 4 of us and it was for a longer period of time. Could we have afforded the Disney cruise? Yes, we could have. But, we're not stupid with our money. So, it was Carnival for us and we had a fantastic time. I cannot imagine that Disney could have been any better. And frankly, we enjoyed not being bombarded by Mickey Mouse and all the charcters, music, shows, etc. It was a really nice change.

We liked it so much we booked our next cruise the day we got home from our first one.

I'm not seeing Carnival Legend sailing from Port Canaveral -- I see Carnival Dream and the balcony comes up as $3054.57 -- and, while it's a western itinerary, it doesn't include the ports OP wants.

However, it does come out to:

Fantasy (cabin 246 sq ft) - $7462

Freedom of the Seas (cabin 184 sq ft) - $4167

Carnival Dream (cabin 185 sq. ft) - $3054.57

The Legend sailing that you quoted is out of Tampa. I was trying to compare apples to apples. Port Canaveral is IMO more expensive to sail from.

Also, a standard inside room on Disney Fantasy is 169 sq ft -- not much smaller than the lowest category balcony on the other two ships. And Fantasy's inside has the "real time" porthole so inside cruisers can still see "outside".

I sound like I'm pushing the Disney cruise, but I'm really not. I'm just pointing out the other side of the coin for those who think the OP should compromise on HER (and her kids') dream vacation.

To be honest, I didnt really look at the departure points. I just wanted to show the OP that it is possible to do a 7 night cruise to the WC without breaking the bank.

Yes, there is a case to be made to say "blow the expense, its a dream holiday for a once in a lifetime experience" but there can also be a lot said for not spending all of the payout on a single week and be left with nothing but memories.

I have never sailed with Disney but I have received a large one-off payout and experienced the empty sick feeling when I realised it was all gone and I could have spent it more wisely.

I am a huge Disney fan :Dwe our pass holders, that being said I am a huge cruise lover too:D and we have never done a disney cruise because of cost. I would look into doing a trip to disney then take a cruise from one of our FL ports from orlando you can drive to Tampa or POC or from the air port take sprit airlines to Miami for 9.pp and fly to Miami look at NCl Epic it is a great ship with more Options than the dream. JMO but this way you can get a 2 in 1 trip. I would rather take 3 cruises compared to one Disney cruise plus everyone thinks Disney has the best Kids club but all in all Carnival wins this all most every year.:eek:

To be honest, I didnt really look at the departure points. I just wanted to show the OP that it is possible to do a 7 night cruise to the WC without breaking the bank.

Yes, there is a case to be made to say "blow the expense, its a dream holiday for a once in a lifetime experience" but there can also be a lot said for not spending all of the payout on a single week and be left with nothing but memories.

I have never sailed with Disney but I have received a large one-off payout and experienced the empty sick feeling when I realised it was all gone and I could have spent it more wisely.

It's absolutely possible to do the 7night without breaking the bank. I'm just hung up on the "dream vacation" aspect, I guess.

I wonder what the OP will decide?

It is not as expensive as your brother is leading to believe and Disney is magical! I am taking my 12 year old next month it is her first "real vacation" They will only be kids once and they will be adults for the rest of their lives. Enjoy them! I have a 26yr old that I don't know how she got that old. Her birth seems like yesterday. Have an awesome vacation!

Archived