Norovirus on Oceana 4th June 2011. 6 month old

Oceana 2011

Morning all

We were taking our 6 month old son on his first cruise this week. However the boat arrived in port with lots of people ill with norovirus. Our cruise was boarding under "code red" conditions a few hours later. After receiving the written information from P and O, talking to a few of their staff and being advised by a Doctor we obviously decided that we couldn't risk our sons health for a holiday.

Anyone had similar experience?

Do you think P and O will refund?

Thank you

We went to the baltics on Ventura 2 years ago where norovirus was on the previous cruise and was still present on the cruise we went on. So much so at one point we were were told by Copenhagen port authority that we weren't allowed to dock! We travelled with our daughter who was 12 months old at the time. Our experience on board was that no passenger was allowed into any restaurant or buffet with out using hand gel, you weren't allowed to serve yourself in the buffet, there were no saltand pepper shakers on the tables basically anywhere people were touching. Even some restaurants and bars were closed as the staff were being used elsewhere.

I don't have a copy of the terms and conditions but I wouldn't think that P&O would refund as the cruise still went ahead and you chose not to go. I would think it is the same for many travel insurance policies as well

I am sorry that you didn't get to go on your cruise.

I would not have thought that P&O would refund you, as has been said, the cruise did go ahead and you chose not to travel. You mention that you were "advised by a doctor". Was the advice given not to travel on the cruise with your son? If so, I would have thought that you would be able to claim from your travel insurance company for this, however they may want confirmation from the doctor that he/she advised against travel. Its worth trying to make a claim.

If cruise companies refunded all passengers who decided (for one reason or another) not to cruise, there would be no need for anyone to buy travel insurance. There have been some very heart wrenching stories on the CC boards why some passengers have been unable to cruise at the last minute, but unfortunately, the reason for non cruise is of no concern to the cruise company as they are a business, and that is why we are always advised to be insured.

Sorry you did not get your cruise, but the health of your son is obviously your top priority.

I think Homelessbear has said it all.

Unfortunately as the cruise went ahead, albeit with some health precautions in place which restricted enjoyment of some facilities. I dont think P&O are liable at all.

Im confused as to the connection with the Doctor who advised you or whether this related to a specific issue with you Son.

It is horrible when Norovirus strikes especially as its almost always caused by passengers who dont use the hand gels/wash their hands properly and ultimately its those who do take precautions who are worse affected.

Thank you for your replies. You have confirmed my opinion that a refund is unlikely.

I understand the corporate line on Norovirus, that P and O's terms are conditions are watertight and that the little lad is my responsibilty not P and O's. However, the fact remains that we spent money a cruise that we could not sail on due to no fault of our own, for reasons that were evident at least 5 days in advance.

I know that we can all point to and bemoan the general corporate profit before people mantra. However, this is a company that many of you are very fond of and it would be great to simply see them do the right thing.

Thank you for your replies. You have confirmed my opinion that a refund is unlikely.

I understand the corporate line on Norovirus, that P and O's terms are conditions are watertight and that the little lad is my responsibilty not P and O's. However, the fact remains that we spent money a cruise that we could not sail on due to no fault of our own, for reasons that were evident at least 5 days in advance.

I know that we can all point to and bemoan the general corporate profit before people mantra. However, this is a company that many of you are very fond of and it would be great to simply see them do the right thing.

That, my friend, is why we all take out travel insurance. However, it was your decision not to go on the posibility that your son may have contracted the illness, mmm, you may be on a dodgy wicket there. Good luck with any claims.:):)

Hi

We have just arrived back from this cruise and weren't even aware that there was a 'code red' situation. Word on the street was that around thirty staff members and nine passengers had been affected. All of the buffet restaurants were changed so that no-one was allowed to serve themselves and we saw people cleaning public handrails etc constantly. It appeared to very well dealt with by the crew.

We were obviously concerned as we were also traveling with our three year old, but thankfully continuous hand-washing kept any germs at bay.

It's a shame you chose not to continue your trip, but like the others have said, I very much doubt that you will be entitled to any money back.

Hi

My understanding of "Code red" is simply what you described.

We were very dissapointed not to cruise just felt we could not take the risk with him being so young.

We have written a letter to P and O and will let you know how they respond. We were advised by a GP (phone) and did have travel insurance so may speak to them.

Was anybody ill on the cruise this week?

What was the weather like? *sobs*

Yep, it will be interesting to know what P&O say. They aren't renowned for great customer service. The whole issue was very low key. We only found out through our friends on board who had been chatting to some crew.

If it's any consolation you didn't miss too much. The weather was a bit dodgy and we said we won't be traveling on Oceana again. It just felt like there was something lacking. Oh and the toilets broke for one day - that must've been interesting for those who did have the bug!

We'll be going back to Cunard next time. :-)

It was a 7 day cruise.

The letter said that there was an increase in gastro problems on previous cruise caused by Norovirus. It went on to say that measures were in place on the ship to attempt to stop the spread and assured passengers that Norovirus is very common, second only to the common cold.

We boarded and asked the staff about the outbreak who said that it had been severe and people were still getting off the boat that morning very unwell.

It amazes me how many times Ive seen people leave the toilets without washing their hands. My husband has seen waiters from the buffet do this too. Regardless of being on a ship, how were some people brought (or should that be dragged) up?!

Unfortunately my husband and I picked up the Norovirus on our last day of this cruise. It did mean we managed to enjoy the cruise despite the weather, the ports were good. Sadly we were very ill once we returned home, despite the fact we always used the hand gels and were very cautious in the restaurants. It appears to us there is a problem in the Plaza, and once the toilet problems happened on the Tuesday, it was evident to us that there was an outbreak. You may say P&O handled it very well at the time, but once the ship is in Southampton the sanitisation carried out is obviously not thorough enough - probably because there is not enough time! We are booked again on Oceana next year, and are considering not using the Plaza at all, and taking extra hand gels and wipes for ourselves. This was our second cruise, first on Azura last year, and apart from the virus this time, everything about the cruise was as we would have expected. The select dining, shows, bars, atrium, stateroom, deck areas, gym, spa etc were excellent and the service were second to none. The Plaza area just needs to be supervised better.

• 4 weeks later...

Your insurance will pay provided. 1) You were advised by a medical doctor not to travel and 2) you have an insurance cover which covers travelling companions and not individual else the insurance company could claim the child be left with other relatives..

My friend had something similar where on medical grounds his young child was advised not to fly...

It took him a while and several visits to the GP to fill in forms but he got about 80% back once they had deducted excess and medical report charges etc..

It's washing hands that is vital. I was told by a doctor on board a Fred Olsen ship recently that the gel is useless against a virus (norovirus) only bacteria.

But then our local hospital has three wards closed for the same reason.

The "Doctor" was NHS Direct (who i called from the ship). I am not a medical expert so asked "How harmful can Norovirus be to a baby" The answer was that the highest risk group was the very old and very young and that it was potentialy very serious in this group.

I will try with the insurance company but T and C's are water tight. The only real chance was a goodwill gesture from P and O.

Was it a doctor you spoke to at NHS Direct? My eperience of them is that they are perhaps more "expert" nurses than Doctors. The real problem with NHS Direct is that they will always play worst case as they dont want to be liable for any misdiagnosis or advice.

I have NEVER called NHS direct and been advised by a "consultant" to take paracetamol, or "its just a cold" - they ALWAYS seem to get a doctor to call.

My guess is that the person on the end of the phone wasnt able to re-assure you as there was always the chance that your child may have got really sick and then you could lodge a complaint etc...

i.e. they were always either going to:

a) get a doctor to call you

b) tell you that the virus can have severe impact

No real surprise in their message to you im afraid. Its just a pity you couldnt/were unable to speak to the ships doctos as I am sure if he had advised not to sail you would be in a better position (and he might have lost his job!!!)

Doesnt sound like you have any evidence really to support an insurance claim but thats not to say its not worth giving a go!... good luck

The "Doctor" was NHS Direct (who i called from the ship). I am not a medical expert so asked "How harmful can Norovirus be to a baby" The answer was that the highest risk group was the very old and very young and that it was potentialy very serious in this group.

I will try with the insurance company but T and C's are water tight. The only real chance was a goodwill gesture from P and O.

In that case I seriously doubt an insurance company will pay. It has to be in the form of a written report by a doctor expressly saying that travelling is not recommended.

I can't see P&O offering anything as I bet there was other families with infants that did board. Also if there was any life-threatening type risk then the ships doctor would have denied you boarding.

It's very very rare to have any long lasting effects.

This is what the NHS nurse would have read on her computer screen.

How serious is norovirus disease?

People may feel very sick and vomit many times a day, but most people get better within 1 or 2 days, and they have no long-term health effects related to their illness.

However, sometimes people are unable to drink enough liquids to replace the liquids they lost because of vomiting and diarrhea.

These persons can become dehydrated and may need special medical attention. This problem with dehydration is usually only seen among the very young, the elderly, and persons with weakened immune systems.

Archived