Adult Jewlry Making

I don't know if they offer this on all RCI ships, but has anyone ever gone to the class on board? They had it on the cruise we just came off of, and I didn't go because I thought it was going to be something simple like putting beads on a string. Just wondering what was involved in the class.

I went to the jewelry making class on the Liberty of the Seas, 3/13. I started not to go because I've never made jewelry before and I wasn't sure I want to spend the $ to try. Anyway, I went and was pleasantly surprised because the 1st piece is free (pkg contains, earrings, necklace and bracelet). So, I was able to try it out. The problem was they put it in the karaoke lounge and it was too dark. The worker even agreed that it was too dark but that was the assigned room. Even though she tried to make the lights brighter it was still too dark.

They didn't really teach me how to make the jewelry. You had to follow the directions on the package, but it really wasn't that difficult. I didn't finish but I enjoyed doing something different.

Hope this helps

i have done scrapbooking and jewelry on two different cruises- basically they offer supplies( some free and some for sale) and some guidance- depends on how many people show up on how much help you get.

I went to the beginner's jewelry-making class on the Oasis. My experience was the same as the other posters - the original piece was free and there was no real instruction given. The more advanced projects were very pretty pieces that involved numerous small beads, but the first piece was basically cords/strings with large beads/stones tied on. I didn't learn any techniques that would have helped with the more advanced pieces. I have successful experience with sewing, quilting, cross-stitching, cake decorating, wallpapering, faux painting, etc., but I was all thumbs with the jewelry-making - a very frustrating experience.

I went to the beginners jewelery making class. Ours included the necklace and earrings but the bracelet was at the next class and it was $9.95 to attend. That to me sounds like they are not very consistent across the board on their classes. We had a girl in there who did walk us thru it and she did a good job. It was just rushed and we had to hurry to finish or end up putting all back into a baggie and finishing it later.

These classes sound great for sea days. Can anyone confirm which ships they have found to have classes and what types on classes were on offer? Thanks for your help :)

PS I somehow inserted a sad face icon on my post by accident, how do you add/remove these icons?

Can anyone say if it was just stringing beads???

The first class did not involve stringing beads, which was a shame because the more advanced projects were beads. Those projects did include a very large number of very small, pretty beads. The instructor said the hardest part was separating the numerous beads by color. There are samples of the finished projects mounted on boards, so you can go to the first class and decide if the more intricate pieces interest you.

These classes sound great for sea days. Can anyone confirm which ships they have found to have classes and what types on classes were on offer? Thanks for your help :)

PS I somehow inserted a sad face icon on my post by accident, how do you add/remove these icons?

So far I have seen this class on the Majesty & Serenade...on the Majesty in April we did the whole set of necklace, ea rrings & bracelet..on Serenade it was the same design but only the necklace & earrings..it's a very pretty silver & turqouise set...

Sounds like what we did n Explorer, it cost just under 10$ for the three piece set. We made the three pieces over 2 days, there was instruction and it was very pretty when finished.

It inspired my DD to buy a Jewelery making set when she came home and we have made some lovely sets. Some we wore on our Indy cruise which we are just back from.

I did this class with my daughter on the Adventure last year. There were no free options and no real instruction. Pre-packaged kits were offered for $9.95 and you followed the instructions printed on them.

Still have the unfinished kits here at home. In the US you could probably purchase the same ones from Michael's at half the price.

Karen

I did this class with my daughter on the Adventure last year. There were no free options and no real instruction. Pre-packaged kits were offered for $9.95 and you followed the instructions printed on them.

Still have the unfinished kits here at home. In the US you could probably purchase the same ones from Michael's at half the price.

Karen

Actually, the prices are not bad. I purchased the advanced kit for just under $10.00 on the ship - saw the same exact thing on clearance for $15.00 at a local Walmart (a US based discount store).

I did this class on the Explorer. We made a necklace, bracelet and earrings from the aqua set. It was priced just under $10.00. There was some basic instruction - how to crimp (secure) for the necklace and bracelet. But basically it is stringing the beads into a pattern you like. For the earrings, you were also shown how to bend the long head (?) pin into a loop, after the beads were arranged so that the earring wire could be added. The class was very basic. As an artist/crafter who did not know how to crimp and/or make a loop from a very long strait pin, I found the class to be very helpful.

My 13 yr. old daughter and I went on TA AOS last year and enjoyed Jewelry making for the very first time. We had a great instructor who provided kits, they were challenging (dd got the hang of it before i did) for beginners, but fun. It was a fun time for us as well as a time to meet other ladies. We liked it very much and like the other posters stated, the first day was free and subsequent session had a small reasonable fee.

Archived