Corning Glass for Purchase?

CruisinTeach99

Can you purchase the items made at the glass blowing demonstrations? Or things previously made?

Do they have an option to ship them home to you rather than to travel with something delicate?

Thanks.

They have an auction to raise funds for their charity and auction off a few (usually 2 or 3) pieces. These are the only items they sell. They bubble wrap the items and you are responsible for the shipping. NO OTHER ITEMS MAY BE PURCHASED.

Yes, as the previous poster said, they do auction them off...And while I know it's for charity, the starting bids were CRAZY high as far as I'm concerned. Neither piece at our auction was bid on at all. Many people (including myself) left disappointed.

Yes, as the previous poster said, they do auction them off...And while I know it's for charity, the starting bids were CRAZY high as far as I'm concerned. Neither piece at our auction was bid on at all. Many people (including myself) left disappointed.

Although you are bidding on custom artwork. And it is authentic (unlike some of the stuff in the Art Auction)

Pieces are original works signed by the artist. I saw one piece go for $1000. Someone asked the "real" value and the glassblower said that the minimum gallery price for the piece would have been $3500. If you like it and can afford it, go for it.

Congratulations, I've never been fortunate enough to win. Sometimes the artists sell pieces they make at their studio. I was able to purchase a wonderful paperweight. The artist engraved the ship name and date of cruise on the piece.

If you just like the look of the glass and don't need it to be a piece made on your ship, the actual Corning Museum of Glass does offer items on their website http://glassmarket.cmog.org/ Google the museum if CC eats the link.

The sale on board, at least by the CMOG website, say it goes to Celebrity Cruises Glassmaking Scholarship Fund. http://www.cmog.org/dynamic.aspx?id=148

http://www.cmog.org/dynamic.aspx?id=176

Celebrity Cruises Glassmaking Scholarship Fund

At the end of each cruise, Celebrity Cruises and The Corning Museum of Glass auction off some of the best pieces made during the cruise. The proceeds from this auction benefit a scholarship fund at The Corning Museum of Glass to help developing artists and students who want to work in glass. Scholarships help fund students and artists to take classes or work as resident artists. If you were inspired by our glassmakers onboard the cruise, consider a donation to the Celebrity Cruises glassmakers scholarship fund.

When we were on Solstice , they offered an excursion to blow our own ornaments. We ended up with four. And, we also received a custom made piece from the Corning folks on board. Pretty nice. :)

When we were on Solstice , they offered an excursion to blow our on ornaments. We ended up with four. And, we also received a custom made piece from the Corning folks on board. Pretty nice. :)

Wow. That is something I would be interested in. Can you provide any more details about how this was set up, where it was held, etc.

Thanks!

Although you are bidding on custom artwork. And it is authentic (unlike some of the stuff in the Art Auction)

I live in Mi not too far from one of those rip off art companies. He use to advertise on the radio but don't hear his ads anymore.

There are two places in Dearborn Mi that have blown glass demonstrations and sell the products. One is a glass academy and the other is a well known tourist attraction. Both offer a do your own.

That stuff is nice to look at but it is like anything else when on vacation. You get caught up in the moment but in reality it is just a dust collector that you wonder why you had to buy it afterwards.

I am sure if you want some hand blown stuff you can find some local at any art fair.

Wow. That is something I would be interested in. Can you provide any more details about how this was set up, where it was held, etc. Thanks!

Elena,

I don't believe they offer it anymore, but we really enjoyed it. We chose the excursion when we were in St. Kitts. A lunch in Murano was included also, and they gave away the designed piece they made after we ate.

Elena,

I don't believe they offer it anymore, but we really enjoyed it. We chose the excursion when we were in St. Kitts. A lunch in Murano was included also, and they gave away the designed piece they made after we ate.

Too bad they don't offer it any more. It sounds great! I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it though.

Does anyone know of the name of the charity that Celebrity supports for these auctions? Do the charities change every so often?

Thanks.

The money goes towards scholarships at the Corning School of Blown Glass I believe.

Can you purchase the items made at the glass blowing demonstrations? Or things previously made?

Do they have an option to ship them home to you rather than to travel with something delicate?

Thanks.

No. They told us on Eclipse that they do not sell what they make, at least not on the demos.

I love the glass blowing and can watch for hours

I have never been fortunate enough to win anything in the raffle which tend to be at the end of a session from about day 3 onwards, but at the very last session onboard each artist autioned a piece and the lowest price was $180 ranging to $400, you would need to love the piece to pay that much, but what a holiday souvenier.

Next time around I will be there hoping to win something in the raffle again!

Although the way of getting a piece that I loved was when the kids club were able to design a piece, the glass designer chose which one to make, they watched it being made and the young designer then got to take it home. :)

Archived