Oasis 5/28-6/4/11 - rants, raves & ramblings, a review

We (daughter-in-law and 2 grandaughters ages 12 and 14 and I - grandma) are boarding the Oasis on August 25 for 7 wonderful days! Your review is wonderful - makes me even more excited for the trip. The only thing I didn't see written up was about the "surfing" or "rock climbing". Did you partake? Long lines? The grandaughters snowboard, so I hope they will have the opportunity to do the surfing.

Thanks for all the info - you are wonderful to provide so much detail.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am trying to convince the DH to give the big ship a try. It is wonderfully written reviews like yours that I hope will help sell him on the idea. Thanks again.

First, my apologies for not realizing sooner that there were new posts to this thread. A big THANK YOU and YOU'RE WELCOME to all the compliments and thanks from shonandsuzie, Dancnlizard, Tam Tam, ScrapHappy44, 4ofusreadytocruise, PathfinderEss, JamesEM, ace1zoe2, deltanonrev, Gordo and anyone else I may have missed. Hope you all have wonderful cruises!

The Oasis (or Allure) is really great for a family cruise because there is something for everyone regardless of age and there are so many things you can do together as a family.

We didn't attempt the rock wall on this ship (having failed miserably on previous attempts on other ships). The Oasis has two Flow Riders, one port and one starboard, for separate surfing or boogie boarding. We don't do either but watched a couple of times. The lines can be long - try to get there before the sessions open. It's just a matter of luck. But they also offered, at a fee, private or group sessions where you can get a lot more board time.

All I remember about the breakfast sandwiches at Park Cafe is egg and cheese on flatbread. Any recent cruisers remember more about the different breakfast sandwiches?

And for anyone with an upcoming cruise on Oasis, maybe you can spot your cabin in this shot:

Oasis-starboard-lg.jpg

Our cabin, 6678, was located on deck 6, just above and forward of the 3 aft lifeboats. Great location!

~ Judy

We (daughter-in-law and 2 grandaughters ages 12 and 14 and I - grandma) are boarding the Oasis on August 25 for 7 wonderful days! Your review is wonderful - makes me even more excited for the trip. The only thing I didn't see written up was about the "surfing" or "rock climbing". Did you partake? Long lines? The grandaughters snowboard, so I hope they will have the opportunity to do the surfing.

We're sailing on Aug. 25 also. Be sure and join our Roll Call and sign up for the Meet and Mingle. Not long to wait now!

The only thing I didn't see written up was about the "surfing" or "rock climbing". Did you partake? Long lines? The grandaughters snowboard, so I hope they will have the opportunity to do the surfing.

You might consider booking a flowrider lesson. That way, you get an hour of time (with a couple of others), so no line, you get to participate and use the flowrider for that hour.

All I remember about the breakfast sandwiches at Park Cafe is egg and cheese on flatbread. Any recent cruisers remember more about the different breakfast sandwiches?

~ Judy

Does Allure have the same ones? I noticed egg, cheese and ham on english muffin (like an Egg McMuffin), an egg and chili breakfast burrito, parma ham and brie on a baguette (I liked that one) and several egg and cheese combinations with added spreads/ingredients on flatbreads.

Edited by marci22

• 3 weeks later...

:DThanks for all the pictures and comments. This question is for anyone who would like to answer. I noticed that you talked about booking shows on-line and also the character breakfast. I have been on several cruises and do not remember being able to pre-book things. Also, we are in a group of 24 and have signed up for My Time Dining, on other cruises people have booked all the good times earlier than us. How can you book times early and days before? Thanks for any help.:eek:

• 7 months later...
I get more excited every time I see an oasis review. We are going in September and I am so excited. I too want to do the chocolate breakfast. :D

Thank you for the great review. Love the pics

Kathy

I'm the same way! I pour over CC every day looking for anything I can find. We sail on 11/9 on the Western route. I'm not as excited over the route as I am over the ship itself. Although one port is Labadee, which I just love, so I'm sure it'll be great. I so enjoy seeing these detailed reviews. Thanks to all who take the time to post them.

• 1 year later...

Loved, loved, LOVED your review Judy! Thank you so much! It helps a lot with planning my ultimate vacation. My fiancé and I are planning our honeymoon aboard the Oasis for next year and we cannot wait! It will be my 5th cruise and his 1st!

I am glad you had such a great time and your grandson looks like he enjoyed himself :)

Could you please advise which stateroom category you have chosen for your cruise? We are also considering ocean view balcony but want to make sure we make the right choice with the category of the cabin.

Thank you and great future travels!

Olga

Edited by FutureMrs.Z

• 1 month later...

I thoroughly enjoyed your trip report! Our family of six (with a 18 month in tow) will be sailing her June 2015. We have sailed more with Disney but wanted to try something different. I have two pet peeves in life that absolutely drive me nuts. First and for most when people cut lines. I am not talking about legitimate reasons when people have handicaps and for their safety they need to but perfectly healthy people that seem to think their time is more valuable than yours. The second is when people save seats for more than five minutes after a show has started. After that you lost out on your opportunity to save that seat. You appeared to have unfortunately experienced the latter of the two in your recent trip. You dealt with it better than I would have. Knowing me I would have also made similar flippant comments because the whole time I was watching the show it would have annoyed me to no end. I was beyond annoyed just reading your comment about this that someone would have done that to you. I say bravo to you not allowing it to ruin your day and to be able to have fun with it. I would also like to add that your grandson is very lucky to have grandparents like you two. I was very close to my grandparents and miss them every day since their death a few years ago. He will remember these moments as I have with mine. I loved reading your descriptions regarding the meals as I always wondered if DCCL will live up to my Disney expectations. Carnival did not. Sounds like it will. Again thanks for your wonderful review and sorry for rattling on a little here I just really enjoyed it.

• 1 month later...

Again my apologies for not realizing there were new posts to this thread and my thanks for the kind words.

FutureMrsZ We had a deck 6 ocean view cabin, 6678. Great location!

jesron1269 Thank you. I know it's hard not to be annoyed when people are rude and selfish but I've learned it's not worth ruining my day. Hopefully I made that lady feel like the fool and embarrassed her. Probably not. But at least, I had a laugh at her expense. I was very touched by your compliments and comments about grandparents. I'm sorry for your loss but glad you have good memories of your grandparents. I wish you and your family a wonderful cruise and great memories to come.

All please note that my review is from June 2011. A lot of changes since then including new menus and dining venues. Oasis just came of a major dry dock. Here is a thread listing the changes.

~ Judy

• 1 month later...

I didn't know either that you have replied Judy! As you can see I'm a couple of months late! But better late than never!

My husband and I just booked Oasis for April 18th, 2015 sailing for our Honeymoon/hubby's birthday. :) The Eastern Caribbean itinerary! Although we wanted ocean view balcony, we decided to go with Central Park balcony instead and are very happy with our decision. We cannot wait to go! (FutureMrsZ - had to change my nickname as I am already married)

Have you been traveling again since your Oasis, 2011 cruise? Anymore cruises on the horizon?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by BigBlueEyes07