Family Fun ideas

Dannzzigg

Our family of 3 - Myself 37 year old male, DW 36 year old, and our then 3 1/2 year old son will be travelling with DW's parents (active in their 60's) aboard the Dream for a 7 day Eastern cruise in September.

It's been a while since our last cruise, and that was before we were blessed with our son. With his addition to our family, our persepctive has changed greatly as to the entertainment on board.

While we may take advantage of Camp Carnival on occassion, I don't anticipate our son spending much time there. What sort of family friendly activities would you suggest while on board? Our son is an explorer who likes to find adventure in his surroundings. He also likes structured play (play-doh, puzzles, coloring) for short periods of time as well. Potty training has not been mastered yet, so the pool may not be an option.

I'd love to hear from other parents who have taken similarly aged children on cruises. What did you find that your children enjoyed?

I know every child is different, of course, but any input would be appreciated.

You might be surprised. My first cruise was when my son was only 3 years old. We put him in the kids club and had a devil of a time getting him out. He loved it.

Spend the day having fun with your child and have some adult time alone in the evenings. Best of both worlds. I love spending time with my son but he was a terror at the dinner table. So, most nights he ate at the buffet then went to the kids club while my wife and I ate a leisurely, quiet dinner.

Have you checked out the Special Intrest Cruising board on the main boards page? There is a Family Cruising section and you will be able to get a TON of ideas as to what to do with your son.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Happy cruising!

I've looked there as well, but it's a bit like finding a needle in a haystack between questions about other cruise lines, tipping for children, complaints about child fares, kids in the pool posts and other assorted subjects.

I'm hoping to hear from other Carnival parents who have the experience of cruising with a 3 year old, and what they have found to be interesting and enjoyable for their child as well as for themselves.

You might be surprised. My first cruise was when my son was only 3 years old. We put him in the kids club and had a devil of a time getting him out. He loved it.

Spend the day having fun with your child and have some adult time alone in the evenings. Best of both worlds. I love spending time with my son but he was a terror at the dinner table. So, most nights he ate at the buffet then went to the kids club while my wife and I ate a leisurely, quiet dinner.

I'm thinking we may run into a similar experience with the kids club, as he loves being around other children, but it is a family vacation and we'll definately be looking to spend some family time together as well. I'm just looking for stories of fun times that other parents have had.

Thanks for the tips!

Archived