May have to cancel...or may not

ToesntheSand

We are scheduled to go on the Dream in October. This weekend, on Saturday, BF was playing softball,he's a catcher and a guy from the other team slid into him shattering his tibia where it meets his knee cap. (Luckily the guy was out but it sure cost BF) Anyway he had to have surgery last night. They had to put a metal plate in to hold the bones up. He cannot bear weight on it for 3 months! Nothing or the plate could fall. So that also means no work as he works maintenance for a nursing home.

We cruise in 4 months. At this point we are still going but I'm not sure how comfortable he will be since we have to fly and not sure how well he will be walking by then.

What would you guys do? Would you wait to see how well he progresses and heals or would you cancel right away? Were also going with another couple who are first time cruisers so we would feel awful not being able to go to help them but I don't want to risk something happening to BF.

Were not worried about the money issue, I guess I just want to know your guys opinions if you got put in this situation. Thank you

Wow, sorry to hear that.

If you can delay it without losing money then I would do so. Is he expected to still be in pain by Oct?

It also depends on what your idea of cruising is. Do you enjoy being active on the excursions? Fortunately, swimming, snorkeling and such are low impact.

Like you said: it is too early to tell. I would advise you to not worry about it yet...your cruise is still four months away. Just hope for a speedy recovery and if you need to cancel the cruise burn that bridge when you get there, so to speak.

Be sure you cancel before final payment date, .. and hope you arent booked ES. I would be concerned with the money, if you arent now, you will be later Id think.

My sister broke her shoulder the day we boarded Conquest .. she could have not goen on the cruise, but she still went, just needed help. Bring a wheelchair if you have to. I wouldnt cancel .. but then Im a cruise addict.

Well he just told me we are still going. I asked if he was sure and he gave me the look like I was crazy for thinking otherwise. We do like to do excursions but it looks like this cruise we will be doing a lot of relaxing. Which will be just fine with me. Thank you guys for your input.

Ouch!! Sounds like the runner came in high! My DD plays softball, and is a catcher. It's funny - I don't worry about injury when she is blocking the plate, I'm just thinking "That's my girl!" Then I hear stories like yours and start worrying. :o

One piece of info for you - we thought my DH was going to have knee surgery last week, just two and a half weeks before we cruise. I talked to our PVP about issues with boarding, and she told me that we could request wheelchair assist boarding. No extra charge for that, although if he needed a wheelchair onboard we would have to rent one. She told us to call her sometime during the week before the trip to set up wheelchair boarding if we needed it, so you don't have to request that very far in advance.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for your BF. Give him lots of love so those bones will heal up quickly!!

Hi, My advise is to change over to a handicapped cabin so you have some extra space to walk around in and in case he needs a wheel-chair.

Get him a cane to walk with on the ship if he doesn't need a wheel-chair.

It is good that you have your friends cruising with you who can be of some help. You should let your partner stay on the ship while you off the ship in the ports. You are not connected at the hip I hope.lol.

A friend of ours was an almost couldn't go second year in a row. She developed cellulitis in her leg and was in the hospital until about 3 days before we left. I had wisely had TA called Carnival to put us on Wheelchair assistance. The took care of the 6 of us as a group so we could all stay together. She was mobile enough to get out of the chair to walk into the balcony cabin they had but if your friend cannot bear weight on the leg by the time you cruise it is difficult to get a wheelchair in a regular cabin. There is no way to wheel it past the beds either. I don't believe you'll get it through the bathroom door either. We saw an inside handicapped on the Miracle and it is a great setup for someone who needs room in a wheelchair. Very large bathroom and they have emergency pull cords in there as well.

There's a lot of walking on a cruise ship and you don't realize that until you can't do it. If your friend is mobile by the cruise but may need a chair for any long treks on board, rent one. Be very careful on the ramps too. Sometimes there a little too steep and the wheelchair legs will get caught.

If your friend listens to the doctors and rehabs well you may not even have any issues by the time you sail.

Hope your friend has a speedy recovery.

Kathy

Well I took your guys advice and called the guest access dept. We were able to be moved to a handicapped cabin since he will be in a wheelchair for the duration of our cruise. So I think that will help a lot. We were originally booked in a inside. They were very helpful and were able to accommodate our request.

Thanks for all the well wishes.

It's not a deal breaker to be in a wheel chair especially if you have some "mobility". If he takes good care up till that time. He might be OK to just take it "easy" on the cruise. You might have to push a bit but it's not that bad.

My bestest buddy screwed up her knew ON the cruise. It was no ones fault. It just quit on her. She could hardly take two steps. Carnival was great. They gave her a wheel chair and she still enjoyed the cruise. She was able to snorkle...one of the guys on the Fury stayed with her in case there was an issue...the particular excursion we were on took us to the beach after the snorkle...she didn't go on the beach because trying to walk in the sand was too much...but...she was so pleased with the service on the Fury she was super happy...they kept her "happily" supplied in margaritas and brew. She just sat back and relaxed. When we got back she and I went shopping. She was my "mule". Anything I bought I threw on her lap and laughed. Then we got a GIANT margarita and got BRAIN FREEZE sharing it while we were in line to get back.

Upon leaving they gave her priority to disembark. Carnival helped them all the way thru. There were a few "rude" people that were obsessed with NOT moving for wheelchairs but other than that they were off the boat in no time.

In a nutshell there were some "inconveniences" but she still had a lot of fun. It's a tough call but it sounds like he has a very positive attitude to get well and he'll probably end up a bit inconvenienced with a wheel chair or crutches but...over all he'll still have a great time.

I would suggest renting a motorized scooter, rather than using a manual wheelchair. Your BF will have so much more freedom and independence and it will be so much easier on you. As another poster stated, there is alot of walking on a cruise ship and you will be very tired pushing a wheelchair around. I am confident that you would be able to rent a scooter in your ship's port if you are flying in, and for a fee the rental place would deliver it to you at the port if needed. Google scooter rentals in the city where you will be embarking.

Sounds like you are making lemonaid out of the situation and will have a wonderful, relaxing cruise.

Wow, right there with you. My husband shattered his tibia near his ankle and also from his fiblia (sorry if I spelled those wrong). Two surgeries so far, and non-weight bearing on left leg for at least 3 months. We cruise in September. Just called travel agent today to get handicapped room.

I have been going back and forth if we should go by DH said we are going. Looking forward to it. May not do any excursions but pool side is fine with me!

Archived