tour guide for Belize

jegk1

My friends and I took a tour with Nacho last November. He does have lots of trivia and information. He and I had a very heated discussion after lunch. Jokes at lunch were not appropriate. He saw nothing wrong with telling jokes about raping women. Even used me as the "subject" in the joke. He did say he was sorry when we left. Not to discourage anyone, but just a heads up.

Oh wow! Definitely NOT cool....

crewsweeper...have you heard anything like this? In regards to Nacho, this is the first thing I've read on the Board that's negative...but to me, it could be a deal-breaker.

Greys Girl

It is a deal breaker for me. I am going back on the same cruise in Feb. And will not use his company again. He promised me he would never do it again and stated he never thought anything was wrong with it. One of my friends thought it was a cultural thing. He really did not get it.

I had read a few reviews last year around this time of the year where some women had posted he was annoying.

If you all do use him, just wanted a heads up so you can change the conversation and nip it in the bud. Hopefully he has kept his promise, especially with females in his "audience".

BTW we used Victor Bodden in Roatan. Excellent service and excellent driver/tour guide. I would encourage anyone to use them.

Two weeks ago he tuned it down quite a bit. Riddles not jokes and with one he made a comment about how we Americans think everything is related to sex, but to pay attention his actual phrasing. So Kim maybe your lecture had a positive effect. Good going.

Mike, my advice is to let him ramble his spiel and humor him with a bit of pause; he likes it when he thinks he's stumped you with questions or riddles, before answering. But do ask questions about Belize and it's various cultures and economy. While it's not the authority on all things Belize, Wikipedia does have enough information to give you some background and foundation for questions to ask.

If you're touring do stop at the St Johns church and see if he knows the story about the Bishop and his wife buried there. We didn't stop, but I've been there before and know the sad story. Also if time, go across the street and tour the Cultural Center. Great stuff on the colonial rule.

Oh and do tell him that Stephen and Kathryn from Florida said hello.

Mike...please review your tour with Nacho. I'm not quite sure what to 'see' and need some ideas.

BTW, in regards to the above 'joke'...I did receive a phone call from him after my post (so yes, he does read this board) and we discussed the incident. At this time, I won't be changing my plans to tour with him.

crewsweeper....thanks for the hint about St. John's Church...that'll make 'the list', for sure!.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm just looking at reserving a cruise for next summer with a Belize stop. We prefer private tours. Suggestions other than Nacho? I have a 19 yoa daughter and a 21 yoa one. I have no desire to expose them to that.

Expose them to what?!

Nacho's riddles? Very harmless. He's very atuned to this "joke" issue and very sensitive on the subject matter. He'll bent over backwards not to offend. And Cynthia is a wonderfully charming person.

Believe me (Belize me:)), your daughters have heard worse just walking through your local mall. You/they'll hear worse in the PG comedy shows on ships. I'm a 61 year old ex-sailor( ask my DW about my swearing,LOL) and I've walked out of the adult comedy and one PG comedy show on ships in the past, because it wasn't tasteful. And there were 10 and 12 year olds in the Adult show audiences with their parents. IMHO, Nacho's riddles aren't even up to the level on current DisneyChannel TV shows in terms of sexual innuendo.

Let Mike and Grey's Girl post their reviews before you decide based on a singular incident that occurred several months ago.

As always happens, life gets in the way when I get back from vacation, sorry for the delay.

As for the mentioned concerns with Nacho, I saw nothing to be concerned about. Again, I saw nothing at all.

As for the tour, we felt it was exactly what we asked for. Life in Belize away from the port. Nacho takes great pride in his work and his wife is truly a dear.

He had water for all of us and some gifts to bring back home, super people and great ambassadors for Belize.

I did get a little tired of the riddles, because I didn't get many, I felt like I was back in school. :)

My only complaint is the sanctuary he took us to wasn't worth the extra money, for you it might be different. Our guide was very kind, but all over the place on what he talked about. I wish we would have known that when they took us in to the jungle to look at the monkeys that we were going to be walking in mud. We were all wearing new shoes and they were caked with mud.

They did just get a lot of rain, so that explains the issue since you are normally walking on dirt paths and not mud. If you do this, bring bug spray.

That said, our guide was able to call down a monkey from the trees for us to feed some banana and we got some great pictures.

I hope this helps and again, there is no reason at all to be concerned about Nacho. He was very polite, showed and explained exactly what I asked for and tried very hard to keep us entertained.

Hi Mike...Thanks for getting back to us. A couple of questions, if you don't mind.

Did you go to St. John's Church or the Cultural Center? How was the van ride? Air-conditioned? Did the ladies in your group do any shopping?

Is there any thing in particular, you would recommend seeing?

Due to physical limitations of an elder, we're not able to do the Zoo or the sanctuary, so I have to come up with alternatives.

Is there alot of walking to get to the caves....thanks.

Maybe if he said that in his email or phone calls, I forgot. Or he forgot to collect since there were 11 of us in 4 different parties. But he didn't collect until we finished cave-tubing and were in the van heading back.

Hi Mike...Thanks for getting back to us. A couple of questions' date=' if you don't mind. [/color']

Did you go to St. John's Church or the Cultural Center? How was the van ride? Air-conditioned? Did the ladies in your group do any shopping?

We went to St. John's Church and drove by the Cultural Center. I am sure you could ask Nacho to stop at both if you wanted. We did not do any shopping, well take that back, we tried outside the port gate when Nacho dropped us off and left right away because we were inundated by pushy vendors. Yes the van had AC, Nacho said it wasn't as strong as he would like, but it was fine.

Is there any thing in particular, you would recommend seeing?

Not really, it is very laid back, just let Nacho what you want. He was good at making sure he completed my wish list.

Due to physical limitations of an elder, we're not able to do the Zoo or the sanctuary, so I have to come up with alternatives.

Ask Nacho for suggestions, I am sure that he could help.

• 2 weeks later...
We are thinking of going on a Zip Line tour either in Belize or Roatan. Has anyone been on either of these tours? How was it? Just trying to figure out where to do it.

We zip-lined with Victor Bodden's company in 2008-- a group of 11 of us with 55 yrs. olds down to 8 yrs olds--- we all really enjoyed and highly recommend Victor's company--- they guys were very patient with those of us a bit uneasy getting going on the zip-line. Enjoy whatever you do!!;)

Can't recomend Vitalino Reyes of cavetubing.bz enough! they took us to Altun Ha on 8/2 and we had a great time! they were very knowledgable about their country and the ruins and the group only had 9 people in it and we had four guides! my impression is that they will accomidate your needs/wants. check them out!

Archived