question about flash

ruespal

I have a question concerning the distance range of an accessory flash. I have a Nikon D80 and an 18-200 lens. Recently at a recital,I realized how limited the on camera flash is- maybe 10-12 feet so when I've zoomed in on a child -this flash is useless. Looking at the speedlights (not sure which one yet) and can't seem to find the info anywhere.Can anyone help me on the range of one of these flashes? It seems as I learn more, I encounter different types of questions and problems- but as least I'm learning! Thanks in advance.....

I have a question concerning the distance range of an accessory flash. I have a Nikon D80 and an 18-200 lens. Recently at a recital,I realized how limited the on camera flash is- maybe 10-12 feet so when I've zoomed in on a child -this flash is useless. Looking at the speedlights (not sure which one yet) and can't seem to find the info anywhere.Can anyone help me on the range of one of these flashes? It seems as I learn more, I encounter different types of questions and problems- but as least I'm learning! Thanks in advance.....

First, built in flashes are only good for short distances and 10 feet may be pushing it some. Also for that lens (I own one) make sure you remove the hood when using the built in flash. I recommend you consider an external flash, say a SB-600. There is an SB-400 (smaller) and you can go up to a SB-900 but that is probably overkill for that camera and is very expensive. The external flashes have more range and work will the Nikon TTL technology.

Best of luck.

The guide number rating on a flash is the distance in meters or feet (usually states which) that the flash will be effective at ISO100.

For instance, the SB-600 has a Guide Number of 98 ft. at ISO100 or 138 ft ISO 200 at 35mm.

My Minolta flash which is about the same as the SB-800 easily lights up the stage for the granddaughter's events at 100+ feet.

Dave

you have to be sure you are comparing the correct guide number for a flash these days. They are typically rated at a specific ISO and zoom setting on the flash, and there may be some incompatible specs from flash to flash.

Too bad there no "potato masher" style flashes these days - you could just about spot weld with one of those.

Archived