Carnival vet considering NCL for first time

I have been on a few cruises, but only with Carnival. I am considering giving NCL a try.

I'm looking at the Epic and am a little confused by the room categories and didn't find a thread on here explaining. I know the first letter indicates inside/balcony. I'm guessing that the other is just location but there is such a range, I wanted to be sure. For example, inside has A-D and X, which made me wonder what is different about the x category. I don't see any difference on NCL's site.

Also, I've used the site that lets you get quotes from various TA's. With Carnival, I have avoided using a TA because Carnival won't deal with you when you do, AND the prices are generally the same. In this case, I am seeing prices that are significantly better. Does anyone know if this is the norm? Does NCL permit discounting or something?

I'm sure I will have more questions later, but is there anything else I should consider? Thanks!

In general, the second letter in the cabin category is used to set a different price, and the prices vary within a general category by location. I just read that the Epic may be re-designating cabin codes soon, after a year's real experience.

Note that the Epic inside cabins have a split bathroom plan with frosted glass enclosures...no real doors...some don't like them. Check the floor plan picture on the NCL website.

Technically, NCL does not allow TA's to discount. However, TA's can give their customers some extras (from a menu provided by NCL) and can book a block of cabins at a discount and can pass on that kind of discount to their customers if they wish. I don't know where prices come from on such a "comparison" website, but watch for "government fees and taxes"...make sure the lower prices include everything so that you are doing a fair comparison.

Once booked through a TA, NCL requires everything after that to go through the TA...they won't talk to you directly about your cruise.

TA's may have an extra fee that is added to the quoted price, and can have different payment and cancellation terms.

Thanks Baker. I will definitely confirm final price before I book. Right now just shopping around, and want to make sure I am comparing apples to apples. I tend to want to book direct, but if the price is right, it might be worth it, especially to try NCL on the newest ship! :)

I have cruised with Carnival one time. But I find NCL better for me. The three times that i have booked my cruise I have booked through online agencies..the first time was through bjs.com (as in BJ's wholesale club) they had a great deal..The second time was through *********** (another great deal) and the one we booked that we are going on in Sept. we booked through dierctlinecruises.com. I have an "agent" that I am workign with through directlinecruises.com and she is great..I find the further out you book the better deal you get...I live in Brooklyn so NCL works well for us because they cruise out of Manhattan..we like that better then having to go down to Miami..However in 2013 we will be going on the Epic. Enjoy! shopping around and planning a cruise is half the fun:D

NCL uses X to designate a guaranteed cabin; i.e. book an IX and you'll get something within the inside category (or if you're really lucky, a better category).

The guaranteed reservation is usually at a lower price, but you do sacrifice the ability to choose your cabin and location. If you're satisfied you can live with any cabin within a category, a guarantee is a good way to save a few dollars.

I now prefer NCL to CCL, but everyone should try a line for themselves to decide. What's good for me (or anyone else here) may not be good for you.

I prefer NCL because of these reasons....all are just my opinion:

I find entertainment better on NCL...shows, music variety and parties/deck parties

I like the restaurants on NCL because I love the variety. The food in the mdr is a bit better on CCL however.

I like the crew better on NCL...Crew and officers are friendlier and more down to earth.

NCL is great with Cruise Critic groups

NCL cabins are smaller but have a much better layout.

NCL offers some neat itineraries if you can do a longer cruise. CCL doesn't offer great long cruises.

I also believe that you should give NCL a try. I have traveled Carnival and NCL pretty equally and I find I like both lines. There are some things I prefer on Carnival and vice versa but you will not know until you try NCL for yourself. Good Luck...have fun planning!!

Just got off my second NCL cruise; I've done four on Carnival (with my fifth and sixth booked). Honestly, I try not to compare cruise lines; I just get on-board and have the best time possible. In this case, these two lines are more similar than dissimilar, and a lot of things are subjective anyway (food quality, entertainment, etc.), so how can you judge? One thing I will say about NCL is that I love, love, love the freestyle concept! Eat whenever you want, wherever you want -- how great is that? I wish Carnival would go that direction, but the loyalists would stage such an uprising that it'll never happen! ;)

I would still give Carnival the edge, more out of familiarity than anything else, but I'll be back on NCL, either on the Epic or their new ship arriving in 2013.

Happy cruising!

I just got back on Sunday from my first NCL cruise. I found the lines to be equal with some things better on each line. My kids definitely liked camp better on NCL but they missed the waterslides from CCL. The MDR food wasn't as good on NCL, but the buffet was better at breakfast. I liked the entertainment better on NCL. I sort of missed the personal service in the MDR for dinner, but it was nice to have flexibilty with dining times. I would cruise again on either line.

I have been on a few cruises, but only with Carnival. I am considering giving NCL a try.

. . . I tend to want to book direct, but if the price is right, it might be worth it, especially to try NCL on the newest ship! :)

Anyone else have input on the switch?

hotjavelex: I'm another Carnival Vet (Milestone, taking #31 later this year), and I definitely think you should give NCL a look-see.

I only book direct, and almost all the folks on the phone w/ NCL have been superb.

It's a wee bit lengthy :o, but I posted some personal feedback about my first NCL experience (which was on EPIC) earlier this year, and I hope it will reflect my enthusiasm in saying I think you'd enjoy the ship as well.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1386629

Best wishes in your eventual cruise selection, and BON VOYAGE!! :D

I did 11 Carnival and one RCI. Lucky 13 was on Epic. I LOVED it! I was ready to put down a deposit for the next one within my first hour on board. I'm going on the Epi again December 31. I will sail Carnival again (looking at Sept/Oct; had a Nov planned but I have to go to Hong Kong for work), but I have no qualms recommending NCL and Epic.

I'm looking at the Epic and am a little confused by the room categories and didn't find a thread on here explaining. I know the first letter indicates inside/balcony. I'm guessing that the other is just location but there is such a range, I wanted to be sure. For example, inside has A-D and X, which made me wonder what is different about the x category. I don't see any difference on NCL's site.

Also, I've used the site that lets you get quotes from various TA's. With Carnival, I have avoided using a TA because Carnival won't deal with you when you do, AND the prices are generally the same. In this case, I am seeing prices that are significantly better. Does anyone know if this is the norm? Does NCL permit discounting or something?

I'm sure I will have more questions later, but is there anything else I should consider? Thanks!

Go to my blog and scroll down I have an in depth review of the Epic, I enjoyed the ship buy also have enjoyed Carnival within the rules( no. summer no spring break).

http://www.cruisinbob.com

After 25+ cruises, mostly with Carnival, we are trying NCL. Im not loyal to any line as, Ive also done 5 cruises on RCCL.

I want to find out personally about NCL. After our Hawaiin cruise we will be booking another cruise,hopefully on the Epic.

I find so many cruisers get comfortable with one cruise line and are afraid to try others.

I say...... Try another cruise line. How bad can it be? Your on a cruise, having a DOD and not at work. They are in business for this long for a reason.

Don's thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1386629 - is AWESOME. Definately helped us - along with the recommendations of Tom-n-Cheryl - to decide to give NCL a try for our 30th anniversary ;).

I tried to respond earlier, but I think the boards were down...

But, wow... what a review! :)

I am about ready to pull the trigger on a really good deal. Just need to do my due diligence on the TA so I don't wind up with a headache later. :eek:

After 25+ cruises, mostly with Carnival, we are trying NCL. Im not loyal to any line as, Ive also done 5 cruises on RCCL.

I want to find out personally about NCL. After our Hawaiin cruise we will be booking another cruise,hopefully on the Epic.

I find so many cruisers get comfortable with one cruise line and are afraid to try others.

I say...... Try another cruise line. How bad can it be? Your on a cruise, having a DOD and not at work. They are in business for this long for a reason.

I understand what you are saying, and that is generally my thought. Only a small part of me is nervous about it because I've had such good experiences. But as you said, ,how bad can it be?!

It's a wee bit lengthy :o, but I posted some personal feedback about my first NCL experience (which was on EPIC) earlier this year, and I hope it will reflect my enthusiasm in saying I think you'd enjoy the ship as well.

Just a little personal feedback huh? ;)

All kidding aside, thank you. Very detailed, great pics, and lots of insight. Plus a sense of humor- what more could I ask for? lol

hotjavalex, I believe that you should give NCL a try. I am not loyal to one cruise line, I like to switch from one to another to keep things interesting.

I agree who ever has the better price and and destinations ...

Archived