Express Disembark in Bayonne: Totally Impressed!

We use express disembark on all our cruises from East Coast and FL because we drive... last Sunday was our first experience with Bayonne and I'm hoping that all of you on RCI also find this experience as "painless" as we did on Celebrity. We are used to a rather hectic exit that is more a mass movement of a gang and waiting till 8:30 or so till all is "cleared," somewhat disorganized customs etc.

The officer on the Summit made a line and everyone kept to it.. they "closed off" 3 elevators for us to get from Deck 3 to Deck 1 with luggage, all was orderly. We were half way back in this long line and from 7:25 when we began to move and 7:40 when we had disembarked, taken bus to customs and cleared customs and at our car was just amazingly short time. We have never been "on the road" by 7:45 before!

Oh, and no ship in drydock but we had car cover so we parked as close to ship as we could.. further lot was closed anyway.

We use express disembark on all our cruises from East Coast and FL because we drive... last Sunday was our first experience with Bayonne and I'm hoping that all of you on RCI also find this experience as "painless" as we did on Celebrity. We are used to a rather hectic exit that is more a mass movement of a gang and waiting till 8:30 or so till all is "cleared," somewhat disorganized customs etc.

The officer on the Summit made a line and everyone kept to it.. they "closed off" 3 elevators for us to get from Deck 3 to Deck 1 with luggage, all was orderly. We were half way back in this long line and from 7:25 when we began to move and 7:40 when we had disembarked, taken bus to customs and cleared customs and at our car was just amazingly short time. We have never been "on the road" by 7:45 before!

Oh, and no ship in drydock but we had car cover so we parked as close to ship as we could.. further lot was closed anyway.

We did exactly what you did and was on the road at 7:45am as well. We had a car cover on our two cars as well. I'm surprised there was only 5 of us that had covers on the cars. Oh well, it was a good precaution and we will keep it for next time. We will definitely be returning for another 7 night cruise to Bermuda!

Angela

• 8 months later...

When we arrive to start our cruise, I understand we will drop off our luggage, park our car and than take a bus to the ship. Is this correct?

Once we disembark where will our luggage be if we don't choose to carry it off ourselves? Will we take a bus to pick up our luggage? How do we than get it back to the parking lot? Sorry but I am really confused and don't want to lug our luggage through the parking lot. Thanks!!!

When we arrive to start our cruise, I understand we will drop off our luggage, park our car and than take a bus to the ship. Is this correct?

After you park your car most people take the short walk back to the terminal building, although there is (at least I've sometimes seen) a shuttle that goes from the parking lot back to the terminal. You go into the terminal, clear security and check in, and then take a seat and wait for your boarding number to be called. When it is, you get on a bus (a different and bigger bus than the parking lot shuttle) that takes you to the ship itself.

Once we disembark where will our luggage be if we don't choose to carry it off ourselves? Will we take a bus to pick up our luggage? How do we than get it back to the parking lot? Sorry but I am really confused and don't want to lug our luggage through the parking lot. Thanks!!! If you're not carrying off your luggage you will have put it outside your cabin on the last night, and it will be taken to the terminal building. When you disembark the ship you'll take a short bus ride to the terminal, retrieve your luggage, clear customs and immigration, and exit the terminal building. You can always get a porter in the building to handle your luggage. They will take it to one of the spots where car can pull up. Someone in your party can watch the luggage while you get your car and drive back to that spot to load up and leave. We don't bother with that and just roll our luggage out to the car ourselves and leave directly from the parking lot.

Believe me, it's a lot simpler than it sounds in my explanation.

My answers are in red, pasted in to your post.

• 3 weeks later...

When we did the express departure, the line was backed up and everyone was pulling their luggage and trying to get onto the shuttle bus. It was a mess. People were angry and shoving other people. I think this year when we cruise out of Bayonne, we will take a number and wait for the crazies to get off the ship. Departure seems to turn people into animals.

Archived