Do I really need to bring a sport coat?

First timer on the P.G. departing on the July 16th cruise. I understand shorts are not acceptable for dinner at any of the restaurants, but do I really need a sports coat for any of the restaurants? I’d like to not take one if I can get away with it.

I have taken one in the past and worn it for about 30min. at the Captain's reception. NEVER at dinner. I think you could easily leave it at home.

I am bringing several clean Aloha shirts.
Indeed! My DH brought several nice Polynesian shirts with him and actually purchased a few more on PG in La Boutique. They were more de rigueur for dinner than sports jackets.

Brought several. Wore none...Never felt out of place, cold, or underdressed....We are Regent regulars and would have different advice there. I loved the PG for a whole lot of reasons, the casual informality of no sportcoat among them. I have to "suit up" every day, no interest in doing so in paradise. Enjoy!!

You know what's so interesting about this? There really is a culture difference ...I haven't been to Polynesia yet, but a friend of mine works in medical sales based out of CA and part of his territory is Hawaii. (he goes out on Thursday and stays till Tuesday a few times a month...nice work if you can get it:D) He told me Drs simply will NOT see him if he shows up in the suit he wears in Cali, he must wear his Hawaiian shirts or he really is considered inappropropriately dressed! (again- where do I apply!;))

My DH doesn't own a Polynesian shirt, yet, but he has many colorful polos- will he fit in, till he can get himself one?

I know the website says no polos but my DH has worn them many a time. That is if you mean golf shirts when you say polos. These he intersperses with regular short and long sleeved shirts and Tommy Bahama shirts - hawaiian style designs.

I'm a trial lawyer, if I'm headed out the door not looking close to 100% my DW, or later one of the bailiffs in court calls me on it!! Elegant casual means just that...Polos/golf shirts in my experience on PG were way OK. Many Tommy Bahama type shirts in bright or floral hues abound, particularly during the day but also into the dinner hours as well. We have friends traveling on the PG next month who are asking the same questions, ie. what about open toed shoes for women(of course), etc. Use your best judgement, no shorts, flip flops or t-shirts in the evening!! The culture on board is casual, not stuffy but upscale. I cannot wait to go back....I understand why so many do year after year!!

I must chime in with MotuIslander here. Last time we went hubby brought a sport coat (under protest), and wore it once, as Motu said, at the Captains reception for about 20 minutes. That was it for the sport coat. Hawaiian print shorts and golf shirts - don't even remember a long sleeve shirt but perhaps he did wear one. Costco carries raw silk Hawaiian type print shirts at very reasonable prices..........:D

First timer on the P.G. departing on the July 16th cruise. I understand shorts are not acceptable for dinner at any of the restaurants, but do I really need a sports coat for any of the restaurants? I’d like to not take one if I can get away with it.

I appreciate everyone that replied to this thread. Judging by your replies I will (thankfully) leave the navy blue blazer at home and just bright my Tommy Bahama shirts for dinner.

Thanks for all the great advice! My DH has loads of golf shirts, ( I always thought that Polo was a brand of golf shirt- short sleeve collared cotton shirt, but I'm not too into shopping and fashion, so I probably have that wrong!) DH is super tall, has his shirts made, so he'll probably have Mr Nick make him a " Tommy Bahama' style shirt before we go, as he's unlikely to find a one that fits!

We are accustomed to resort/country club casual so we should be all set. It sounds like a very comfortable environment on board!

DH is super tall, has his shirts made, so he'll probably have Mr Nick make him a " Tommy Bahama' style shirt before we go, as he's unlikely to find a one that fits!

I am about 6'1" and I have a large/tall aloha shirt that I ordered online that fits me like a dress.

It sounds like a very comfortable environment on board!

VERY...

I just want to wish Motu Islander and his wife a wonderful trip on the PG (again!!, you lucky so and sos.) According to your signature, you leave day after tomorrow - I can picture you coming down the mountain to LAX..........have a great trip - I know you will...............please report back on any changes you notice about our favorite destination, or the PG.

Glenda (and Adrienne, and Dan:):))

I just want to wish Motu Islander and his wife a wonderful trip on the PG (again!!, you lucky so and sos.) According to your signature, you leave day after tomorrow - I can picture you coming down the mountain to LAX..........have a great trip - I know you will...............please report back on any changes you notice about our favorite destination, or the PG.

Glenda (and Adrienne, and Dan:):))

Thanks Glenda! :D I hope we call all sail together again soon!

Right now while we pack we are hoping ATN doesn't go on strike tonight! :mad:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived