Recommendation for Tokyo hotel

pke-atlanta

Before sailing from Hong Kong, we will spend 4 days in Tokyo (first visit to Tokyo). We would love recommendatios on a very nice hotel that is conveniently situated for hitting the top tourist destinations, shopping, and restaurants in Tokyo. We've heard good things about the Four Season Maranouchi, Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula - help us decide. Would prefer not to spend more than $700/night, closer to $500 woud be even better. Also, any recommendations for private guides in Tokyo? Is that even necessary for getting around? Thanks.

Although huge, Tokyo is a fairly easy city to navigate as it has an excellent public transport network; therefore, I see no need in hiring a private guide. With a little planning you can easily visit the main tourist sights. You can't see/do it all in 4 days, so plan carefully, especially if you are interested in day trips to Hakone (Mt Fuji) or Nikko.

As for hotels, I have stayed in many different hotels in various locations in Tokyo, never stayed in either of the hotels you mention. I have found these locations convenient and would recommend them to a first time visitor:- Roppongi, Shinjuku, Ikebukuro (which is further from the tourist sights than the other two districts). If you find a suitable hotel in Ginza, I'd consider it, but the immediate area isn't as lively as the other places I mention once the large department stores close (Ginza is the primary shopping district). You should have no difficulty finding hotels in these areas for $500 or less. Avoid any hotel in Odiaba or Tokyo Bay, as the location is inconvenient.

If flying in/out of Tokyo, consider a hotel that is served by the Airport Limousine (which really is a bus, not a limo). Also, Tokyo now has two international airports, NRT and HND, the later is much closer to the city.

Archived